Feedback thread for the Tsi-Hu Demo Build (TsuHuRnDv6)

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
- Holding forward for just a moment gives a studder where the right foot floats and jerks in the air. I worry that this might be visible if an enemy is moving and then goes aggro.
- The transition from moving forward to dodging is jarring. Perhaps the transition from W to E should be found within the W+D animation?
- lol "Esq" to Quit.
- I found the taunt; nice.
- The shadows are really deep, so it's hard to make out the colors. Different shading / lighting / etc might help choose a color scheme. It's one thing to have something nice when it's sunny, and another to make something universally appealing also when it's cloudy. If there are reflections, then that adds to the complexity.
- Obviously the staff/gun shouldn't be linked to armor color.
- The skirt is terribly simple.
- F7 should also exit the color picking mode.
- Show hex codes for colors, so suggestions can be communicated better.
- We need to be able to test incoming damage flinches, so perhaps add a machine that shoots bullets in a line.
- Add various stairs to test that out.

-

2023-09-06 additions.

- Display the FPS. Some people have reported fan spin, presumably from a warm/taxed system.

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Thanks Sy!

Good feedback! I'm not so concerned about the dodge as its only meant to be played from a stop (when AI is controlling it).

How were the animations themselves?

Also, I believe its possible to test the flinches but I forget the key.

zabernat#1238

Omega Founder
Ark Liege
Oct 17, 2019
- Holding forward for just a moment gives a studder where the right foot floats and jerks in the air. I worry that this might be visible if an enemy is moving and then goes aggro.
- The transition from moving forward to dodging is jarring. Perhaps the transition from W to E should be found within the W+D animation?
- lol "Esq" to Quit.
- I found the taunt; nice.
- The shadows are really deep, so it's hard to make out the colors. Different shading / lighting / etc might help choose a color scheme. It's one thing to have something nice when it's sunny, and another to make something universally appealing also when it's cloudy. If there are reflections, then that adds to the complexity.
- Obviously the staff/gun shouldn't be linked to armor color.
- The skirt is terribly simple.
- F7 should also exit the color picking mode.
- Show hex codes for colors, so suggestions can be communicated better.
- We need to be able to test incoming damage flinches, so perhaps add a machine that shoots bullets in a line.
- Add various stairs to test that out.
Great feedback.

I definitely agree that the colors don’t seem quite right as presented. Especially with 4 options. It’s extremely difficult to obtain the exact color schemes one might imagine with colors being interlinked.
This may be unpopular, but the general appearance of Tsi-Hu including loin cloths and general tribal accents is not my favorite. I would have expected more organic/natural adaptable armor and less island style outfits on the frozen lava planet that is Em-8ER.

I’m planning to post my screen shots later this evening but would love another run at this color contest with greater control over individual parts of the color scheme and no spear involved in the model for screen shot purposes.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Thanks Sy!

Good feedback! I'm not so concerned about the dodge as its only meant to be played from a stop (when AI is controlling it).

How were the animations themselves?
It would be nice to have dodge and hit animations when they do move. It would evolve the gameplay away from a bullet-spongey target dummy experience.

I pulled in my guy, and he specifically asked about stairs and character rotation. I personally feel the fact the rotation always happens in the same direction seems a little samey, but he liked it. The little white platform was impressive to him, and he brought up stairs. I think that's an opportunity to showcase a big strength in today's technology.

Diversion: I'm trying to get the guy to sit down and care, and give better feedback, but he tells me he just doesn't want to get hyped any more. He only said "yeah that's good". The gaming market really is that depressed, and more, because these same gamers are trying out Baldur's Gate 3 as an alternative to being abused by the existing FPS market.

I wanted to get back into Destiny, and he showed me a video on its state, and whoa boy. People playing that would look at Ember and judge its movement in a certain way. As-is, these basic movements have earned a pass and the interaction between NPC and environment is impressive. Yes, people are impressed by slopes and stairs. I can't wait to show sliding, climbing, and wall-running. The fly-land-slide was fun as hell in early builds, and I'll keep pushing for an (early?) No Man's Sky punch-thrust mechanic.

I want to sit one of these basic FPS players and show them the line of:

Jump, thrust, boost, hover, glide, swoop, land, slide, boost-skim, shoulder-check into a group (scattering), melee (single), combo-melee (AoE), AoE cooldown-nuke.

I want to make them see that, swear, and beg to try it. You're so close.

This may be unpopular, but the general appearance of Tsi-Hu including loin cloths and general tribal accents is not my favorite. I would have expected more organic/natural adaptable armor and less island style outfits on the frozen lava planet that is Em-8ER.
Bear in mind they are not native, so their style would not necessarily be environmentally consistent, but should be internally consistent.

Having said that, it's a good point to wonder if they would/could adapt themselves to the climate in a way that might be visible. Boy would it be an endeavour, but in a game with unlimited developer resources, having a different style per biome would be worth considering. I could then imagine multiple "tribes" converging on one of our bases. They would feel less zerg-samey and would also tell more of a story of which biome has the largest stronghold such that they could send a force out.