Experimental VOXEL terrain build feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kehinde

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 24, 2017
I haven't been back to try it out again but...

I currently run a two-monitor setup (extended display, not duplicated/mirrored) with the following ...
Monitor 1/main: 1080p
Monitor 2/left: 1440x900
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: AMD RX 580 8GB
RAM: 32 GB (2x 16GB - DDR4 - 3200 MHz)
Storage (for Em8er demos): Samsung 860 QVO 2.5in SATA SSD
O.S.: Windows 10 (running from an NVMe SSD)

That out of the way... During the stream the other day, I noticed that my framerate was acting in an unusual way.

Both on low settings, and also on "Epic" settings for graphics... my FPS acted the same. It would increase when I shot the ground near me, even when I was moving, no matter what else was going on around me (other people, enemies, shooting, ground being annihilated, etc - usually all at once).

While I didn't spend much time on the low graphics settings, to check things... I did spend ten minutes or more, on the Epic settings. During that time I noticed my FPS was sitting at exactly 30 when I was standing still and not doing anything... but when I moved around it would spike as high as 57.

I did also take a peek at Task Manager on the other monitor (was running Em8er on the main monitor, so probably at 1080p) and it reported a 77% load on my GPU. *

*worth noting that I basically never close several of my programs... for example my browser which right now has twelve windows open with a total of 989 tabs between them. So the demo's actual load on my graphics probably was closer to 50% (judging by current load).

P

punkbuzter#6186

I did also take a peek at Task Manager on the other monitor (was running Em8er on the main monitor, so probably at 1080p) and it reported a 77% load on my GPU. *
Such things happen if you have a frame limiter of sorts active, either V-sync is on in game/drivers, or you have something else active... AMD Chill, Radeon AntiLag, Enhanced Sync, or something else perhaps related to FreeSync... It could be a bottleneck but that GPU should not be stalled by that CPU, typically you'd see like 20% use on CPU and 100% on GPU.
Could also be a frame-cap in the engine but I doubt you hit 200+fps (highest i've seen reported in this game using UE5).

If non of the above is it, you may have something tanking your performance. I get 40+ FPS in 4K Epic settings on my RX470 4GB.

Greenon

Ark Liege
Jan 18, 2017
WAIT, before you fix the terrain bug, you guys need to try and see if you can make it so that players respawn back at base instead of dying once they manage to glitch through terrain!

If people are to spend huge amounts of material and currency on temporary gear it'd be a f*ing bitch if you died from reaching that layer underground, and save someone's hair by "respawning/teleporting" back to base instead of dying at the bottom.

This would be the greatest opportunity to test such features.
I do not know if it would be possible to implement an escape function. I have seen a high cooldown escape teleport ability that can teleport a person to the nearest free space available. Dont know if that is helpful but there it is. I Love watching the progress of this game's design. Thank you for the great effort!

Aug 9, 2018
Just posted a new video over on the discord and the fan art/media forums but I wanted to highlight a few bugs I found. A couple can be observed in the video but I didn't want to make a video highlighting all the bugs.
- My weapons speeds up when firing below ground. I see a speed increase of roughly 2x.

- I am stuck when “under ground even though the terrain is clear all around me. I get to a certain depth and cannot go higher or lower. Also happened when going horizontally into a mountain via plasma cannon.

- Thumper seems to be broken. Not sure what the no deploy radius is but about 500 meters out I still cannot deploy a Thumper as the game tells me there is another one nearby.

- On stream it was mentioned that some nodes might be underground and I defiantly found one. Using my compass I went to one area then it said it was behind me. Behavior much like standing at the true North pole with a compass. Turns out I was about 400 meters above the node.

That being said it is understandable with a system that wasn’t really designed to be used as it is now.

Apr 15, 2020
Ran the voxel demo just now and took a video of some testing, computer specs are uuuuuh...
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11600KF @ 3.90GHz, 3912 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 32.0 GB
GPU: NIVIDA Geforce GTX 1660 TI
Monitor is uuuh: Full HD (1080p) 1920 x 1080 ( HDMI: 240 Hz)

I videoed my testing with OBS so its not outputting too hot and uploaded it unlisted to youtube. Had a not too terrible fps on epic settings but had issues with the collision of the voxels once I messed with them too much. Warnings for epileptic/easily nauseated people as there is some screen shake due to "sticking"

Youtube link Here:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Ran the voxel demo just now and took a video of some testing, computer specs are uuuuuh...
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-11600KF @ 3.90GHz, 3912 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 32.0 GB
GPU: NIVIDA Geforce GTX 1660 TI
Monitor is uuuh: Full HD (1080p) 1920 x 1080 ( HDMI: 240 Hz)

I videoed my testing with OBS so its not outputting too hot and uploaded it unlisted to youtube. Had a not too terrible fps on epic settings but had issues with the collision of the voxels once I messed with them too much. Warnings for epileptic/easily nauseated people as there is some screen shake due to "sticking"

Youtube link Here:
The tunnels looked good made me think of high speed Tunnel systems with transport & think our drill meks are going to be just what we need.

If the war is continuing above ground it would make sense that they could happen underground too especially if they slow our transport systems. Usually the upper ground area would be more vulnerable to dangers, although the underground has its own dangers.

Plus structural integrity of the transport system could get damaged from things such as earthquakes and even larger kaiju shockwaves and their movements etc.

May 22, 2020
hello! first time posting here.
I would like to give my opinion on the... hum... camera?

It is not exact it. since the character/mecha altomatically faces aways from the camera.
even wile Idle. and it is basically imposible to take a good look on the front of the mecha.

I would apreciate if the character/camera acted more like on Warframe. the character only looks at the crosshair when aiming/shotting.
And when on idle, you can spin the camera around to look at your character.

thanks

Orlouge

Forerunner
Sep 1, 2019
hello! first time posting here.
I would like to give my opinion on the... hum... camera?

It is not exact it. since the character/mecha altomatically faces aways from the camera.
even wile Idle. and it is basically imposible to take a good look on the front of the mecha.

I would apreciate if the character/camera acted more like on Warframe. the character only looks at the crosshair when aiming/shotting.
And when on idle, you can spin the camera around to look at your character.

thanks
I echo this sentiment because if you're going to spend time making really nice skins and such, there should be an easy way to capture them. Maybe even a built in camera function like some games do to hide the UI, etc. and give you free reign to lock the camera, reposition, etc.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I am interested in playing games that require decision making. I would appreciate it if you shared these games with me.
Pacman is good i get to make the decision in how i proceed to eat the snacks and escaping the ghosts.
Also i like deep rock galactic because the jukebox is good and upgrading drinks etc

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
... if you're going to spend time making really nice skins and such, there should be an easy way to capture them. Maybe even a built in camera function like some games do to hide the UI, etc. and give you free reign to lock the camera, reposition, etc.
The free camera will exist for the developers at least; that's how they'll be capturing footage. Hopefully some version of this will be made available to us for our own machinima (and simple screenshot) purposes. If there's some sort of gameplay problem with this feature, I wonder if it could be made available just for Home.

A "photo mode" and hiding the UI have both been brought up in previous Chief Chats, but I haven't heard about them more recently. I hope those are implemented and make it into the Kickstarter, since these features will be good tools for backers to promote the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.