Em8ER Update - Will Em8ER run on a $250 PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
It's a new year and things are heating up for Em-8ER once again. After getting community feedback about low framerates, we went back to optimize our internal test build for much better results. So much better, that we decided to test them on a $250 PC that we built from scratch to help us optimize the game.

Tune in for our next update where we go over what is happening with the upcoming Terrain Build of Em-8ER!

Jul 28, 2016
It's a new year and things are heating up for Em-8ER once again. After getting community feedback about low framerates, we went back to optimize our internal test build for much better results. So much better, that we decided to test them on a $250 PC that we built from scratch to help us optimize the game.

Tune in for our next update where we go over what is happening with the upcoming Terrain Build of Em-8ER!
Tessellation should not cost you that much performance, since its handled by the vertex shader in graphics pipelines. Its possible your tessellation is simply creating too many subdivisions too far away to be visible for use, ESPECIALLY since the scene should have render culling on off-screen objects.

I personally make the number of tessellations by distance an exponential (or geometric) value (rather than say linear). Can't remember if Unreal has a default tessellation shader since I haven't been in it for a while, but I know some other engines have similar shaders with default linear values that usually don't have as much of a practical use as steeper graded types like I mentioned earlier.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu

Once all the optimization is done and in a game demo will there be recommendation for low end builds to higher builds for those of us who have no idea on pc building. Also recommended settings for low end builds and such so we can configure it well and be ready to game in confidence.

Where do you buy all the parts from different stores or all from one place this would be handy to know so we can see the prices of the parts and that way even purchase too.

One of my friend mentioned he has limited space and budget and with kids to takecare it can be tough. if a low/medium end pc can perform nice and smooth ingame with decent settings would be brilliant.

Then will have more peeps playing for sure, great work i am expecting the best em8er soon!

Jan 20, 2019
Once all the optimization is done and in a game demo will there be recommendation for low end builds to higher builds for those of us who have no idea on pc building. Also recommended settings for low end builds and such so we can configure it well and be ready to game in confidence.

Where do you buy all the parts from different stores or all from one place this would be handy to know so we can see the prices of the parts and that way even purchase too.

One of my friend mentioned he has limited space and budget and with kids to takecare it can be tough. if a low/medium end pc can perform nice and smooth ingame with decent settings would be brilliant.

Then will have more peeps playing for sure, great work i am expecting the best em8er soon!
newegg.com is a good site for computer parts

Jun 23, 2017
This is honestly really cool of you guys to do and makes me all the more confident in possibly backing this project when my next paycheck comes in...

I can defs appreciate it when a dev goes as far as make a budget PC in order to better understand how to optimize a game for lower end systems. It's one of the reasons I honestly loved ID Software and id Tech as an engine way back in the day, as Carmack always found a way to opimize the game for the lowest hardware available while making the game look and play amazing on higher end hardware...

Looking forward to more updates on the progress of the game :3

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
See, this is one of the things that makes me respect someone. Rather than getting in bed with manufacturers who want to make people shell out a fortune just to play a game, Mark's decided he wants everyone to be able to try it, top of the line rig or not.

EA should take note: THIS is what player choice looks like.

DoktOrk

SHIFTER
Omega Founder
Jan 7, 2018
Hi All!

For me this is one of the most awesome news about Em8er! :-D
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

To understand this, you need to know, that I enjoyed the contact and the co-op with other players and particularly with my friends in Firefall beyond words, and many of my friends do not have the latest machine. That was actually my greatest fear, that we can not play again together because of the system requirements.

Years come and go, true friends stay,
Together we fight, together we play.

Thank you again! You are awesome! You develope with love.

Cheers: DoktOrk :-D

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
A lot of modern games dont optimize their games that much, many older games still look great like Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory cause they have great textures, and not relying on cluttering space with objects. the player models shaded in the textures rather than lighting doing it

a more modern comparison is probably when 343 took halo and made their games (weather you like 343 halo games or not) their graphics/optimization looks far superior than previous halo titles released on the same console.

Last edited:

Sigma957

Aug 6, 2016
That's amazing, simply amazing. I'm rebuilding my Phenom II sytem with another MSI FX990 mobo (Gaming) since the last one died. It was a great board (GD80) while it lived. I will be reusing my Sapphire R9 290X in the rebuild. I haven't found a big enough justificatin to upgrde to the latest technology yet.

Last edited:

Pave

Commander
Dec 12, 2016
twitter.com
Well, $250 plus $120 for the OS :p
---
Actually, no.
You can use Windows 10 Pro pretty much full on aside for the cosmetic-customisations out-of-the-box and also a watermark, ala. like a shareware.
Previously you downloaded the "Media Creation Tool" to create the ISO-file or whatever you wanted to use to install the operative-system.
Nowadays you just simply download the "ISO" (also) from their website
( search with words "windows 10 disc image" and open the default-top-result to the official Microsoft-website ).

I personally used Windows 10 Pro up until Summer 2018 as a shareware with good experiences
( after of course some registry and related tuning of course to not accidentally auto-updating the system and so on ).
---
---
---

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
---
Actually, no.
You can use Windows 10 Pro pretty much full on aside for the cosmetic-customisations out-of-the-box and also a watermark, ala. like a shareware.
Previously you downloaded the "Media Creation Tool" to create the ISO-file or whatever you wanted to use to install the operative-system.
Nowadays you just simply download the "ISO" (also) from their website
( search with words "windows 10 disc image" and open the default-top-result to the official Microsoft-website ).

I personally used Windows 10 Pro up until Summer 2018 as a shareware with good experiences
( after of course some registry and related tuning of course to not accidentally auto-updating the system and so on ).
---
---
---
legally?

Status
Not open for further replies.