Em-8ER Video Update 7. CHOOSE YOUR WEAPONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2016
Right now the modular weapon system is an art tool only. ....

Does that make sense? I have to make sure this will be performant, so I'm not promising this mix and match system definitely yet, but its my current thinking. (Performance reasons is because we feature a lot o players in battles and this limits us in some ways, potentially)
so like if someone is using a knife, you want to make sure they are only getting the score of a knife not the score of a bayonet rifle that his teammate is using.

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
...also, since the pilot is the "main weapon" :p i would really like to see some form of "pilot skill customization". for example it could be like the p.e.r.c. thingy i wrote in a thread i started, or it could be something like "each weapon, piece of equipment,...etc." gain xp through the pilot's usage of said whatnots and each tier/lvl/whatever that the player gains gives out a very small "bonus of some sort, or maybe a different type of use, or some such"
o_O:p:cool:;)

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
...also, since the pilot is the "main weapon" :p i would really like to see some form of "pilot skill customization". for example it could be like the p.e.r.c. thingy i wrote in a thread i started, or it could be something like "each weapon, piece of equipment,...etc." gain xp through the pilot's usage of said whatnots and each tier/lvl/whatever that the player gains gives out a very small "bonus of some sort, or maybe a different type of use, or some such"
o_O:p:cool:;)
Ooo! I like that!

I have been caught up thinking all about just the weapons and frames.

It would DEFINITELY be WONDERFUL to have our human selves develop skill trees/ p.e.r.c or the like to specialize in various aspects of play.

As you suggest:

LIGHT [FRAME] SKILL TREE BRANCH
We could run up a 'light frame' skill tree branch that improves our use of light frames AND weapons that go along with light frames AND maybe improves mobility items (like making gliding better). Maybe it has things like faster XP gain on light frame gear (frames, weapons). Maybe it has things like faster deployment of wings on light frames/faster flight. Maybe it has quicker recovery when you lose your frame for light frames...

HEAVY SKILL TREE BRANCH
Same for heavy frames and all their associated gear. Maybe we have percs to fly longer, shoot harder... heavy type stuff enhanced across the board.

GENERIC FRAME SKILL TREE BRANCH
Things that apply equally to all frames.

GENERIC WEAPON SKILL TREE BRANCH
Skill tree about weapons that applies to all weapons AND deployables.

OVERLAY ALL THIS ONTO THE CUSTOMIZATION OF FRAMES AND WEAPONS IN AND OF THEMSELVES!

Etc. Etc. Etc.

YUMMY!

YUMMY!

YUMMY!

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
I would like to see all the Firefall medic support weapons come back. Ultimately if the medic was...exactly the same I'd be ecstatic; it was my playstyle afaik. Having to weight the risk vs reward in real time was a thrill. As the healer I had to really learn my teammates and "play" with their confidence in battle. For anybody who plays Mercy on Overwatch has likely experienced the real time decision, "continue healing them or squeeze out some damage bonus?". "If I stop healing them are they going to bail? Are they comfortable being under 25% while I heal/do something else? Do they make questionable decisions when they are full health?" These situations really made each battle unique and I felt far more connected to the game and players.

One weapon I would like to see come over is a variation of the Vampgun. An old game called S4 League had a weapon called Mind-Shock. The weapon fired in pulses to deal damage and provided meager healing to the user. The target had to be nearby and quite close to within the crosshairs. The real kicker was the weapon could penetrate walls. The weapon itself was not a damage dealing weapon but it picked off people trying to run away or hide and made players noticeably uncomfortable as their movements changed as the battles progressed. Not sure how the AI will handle it but it could be interesting...there's no pvp so...

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
I would like to see all the Firefall medic support weapons come back. Ultimately if the medic was...exactly the same I'd be ecstatic; it was my playstyle afaik. Having to weight the risk vs reward in real time was a thrill. As the healer I had to really learn my teammates and "play" with their confidence in battle. For anybody who plays Mercy on Overwatch has likely experienced the real time decision, "continue healing them or squeeze out some damage bonus?". "If I stop healing them are they going to bail? Are they comfortable being under 25% while I heal/do something else? Do they make questionable decisions when they are full health?" These situations really made each battle unique and I felt far more connected to the game and players.

One weapon I would like to see come over is a variation of the Vampgun. An old game called S4 League had a weapon called Mind-Shock. The weapon fired in pulses to deal damage and provided meager healing to the user. The target had to be nearby and quite close to within the crosshairs. The real kicker was the weapon could penetrate walls. The weapon itself was not a damage dealing weapon but it picked off people trying to run away or hide and made players noticeably uncomfortable as their movements changed as the battles progressed. Not sure how the AI will handle it but it could be interesting...there's no pvp so...
Which ones?

Do you mean the old old medic healing beam?

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
old old? what 'gzactly do u mean? i started playing FF in open beta...0.7 i think it wuz...not shure, so oldest healing weapons i know are the DF's , and the biotech's , and neither had a beam...? they added a healing beam to the DF's rifle, and i was ok with that even though they coulda have given the small HWave to the biotech...or smt :p...or did the biotech's alt do some healing...was long ago and i was a DF afficionado and disliked the other two for some reason...
my healer/killer DF's choice of arsenal (pun intended) was: Healing Wall for healing m8s and knocking back foes, Healing Ball for the same reason. that ability was a test of skill to be able to heal m8s mid combat (...and often mid air, lol ), Healing Pillar for self heal mostly. sometimes i would use the rifle's wave or healing wave to push enemies into my healing pillar for some extra damage...lol, and ofc. Healing Dome, best HKM ever that saved me and my team's ass more times than i can count.

aaahh, fun times...:cool:

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Which ones?

Do you mean the old old medic healing beam?
The old medic healing beam that had 3 different models. overheal, damage up, and vampgun.

Part of the reward of the medic beam options was I could choose and adapt. I could choose to be more aggressive with damage up or more supportive with overheal. I could be selfish and self supporting with the vampgun and still help heal teammates but at the price of less healing output. I had to weigh the combat; to look at the player names and consider who I knew and what frames they were using (do they like to dive across enemy lines? Overheal perhaps. Do they slow push? Damage up if I'm confident they have good accuracy and are good at dodging bullets. Do I feel my survivability is lacking? Overheal may be required to keep myself alive.)

Imo, the medic healing beam wasn't just a choice of preference. Though overheal was the default choice, it did not diminish the sense of meaningful choice of the "right weapon for the job." When the medic beam combination correctly lined up with the team it felt great.

As for the secondary weapons I only ever used the SMG. Quick, easy to use, and damage medium to close range (when the medic needs to help or defend itself) was highly reliable.

The "new" medic weapon Biorifle after 1.6 just didn't match for me. The primary fire projectile speed was a tad too slow for my taste. The alt fire aoe heal burst was nice but it felt like it put a hiccup in my pacing as it set a cooldown for the whole weapon. The Biorifle was definitely more aggressive and I loved it sometimes. Part of the problem was the Biorifle removed the choice of heal or damage during combat. There was a lot of risk, and often blind trust when the medic would stop healing to whip out an SMG to help or finish the job. The new Biorifle more or less removed the choice of swapping to a secondary weapon altogether; almost never did.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
@Grummz How close can one game and its company get to the actual weapons, abilities, HKM's, etc. of another game and its company before there are...issues?

Good thought here. The pathetic The9 will sure try at some point in time. I wouldn't worry about it though. Grummz is more intelligent with his experience to get hung up by something like that.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Good thought here. The pathetic The9 will sure try at some point in time. I wouldn't worry about it though. Grummz is more intelligent with his experience to get hung up by something like that.
I'll just add to this. Mark's got a law degree, specializing in IP Law I believe. Pretty sure he can toe the necessary lines without getting anyone's knickers in a twist.

Thats not saying they wouldnt try, though. Pretty sure they would attempt just about anything out of sheer spite.

Though, china being as notorious as they are for their blatant disregard of IP/asset ownership rights, ripping off and 'cloning' any and every game thats even moderately popular, would be mighty hypocritical of them to be wailing over a 'concept'.

There's pretty much nothing we are copying directly from FF. Concepts are pretty much the only thing similar here. And the concepts are not unique to FF. Even the implementation of the concepts are different enough. Unless of course, you would want to be petty enough to sue a company over 'frying pan' armour.

Jul 27, 2016
US
I don't have any specific examples but the Ratchet and Clank series growing up had a ton of interesting and unique weapon designs. This discussion should really take some of them into consideration.

I lied! Imagine having the Bouncer to play with. It fired a bouncing projectile that split up into a dozen or so smaller bouncing projectiles. The skill in using it was landing direct hits or shooting it in good locations or over terrain to do a ton of damage.

Apr 23, 2017
Spain
Hi everyone! New video update for Em-8ER. We're picking the weapons to use for Em8ER's vertical slice demo! SFX for the THMPR, CHROMA chaps (well, maybe not chaps) and more!

That new weapon seems really funny..good work. All Classes were balanced on their own weapons..but i loved the idea of mixed sniper and middlel target rocket launcher classes..i dont remember now but not any other game has this feature. Well finally i also like all other features on weapons. but i like to ploay most times with quiet bastion while i smoke and a cup of tea ^^

Sonic Nova

Firstclaimer
Sep 13, 2016
So, I wrote this on the Discord. What do y'all think? I'm thinking of fleshing it out some more if people like the idea!
I'm happy to hear that we'll have a plasma launcher and assault rifle for the vertical slice, but eventually I'd really like to see chargeable heavy weapons like railguns or laser cannons. As I am planning on using a heavy suit myself, I would love to use slow-firing, high-damage weapons when my suit is designed to take a beating. Shoot, here's a thought: what about a shoulder-mounted ordnance launcher that takes a sec to reload but you have access to a variety of different "heavy grenades" that you can deploy. Like, there could be your typical frag or napalm grenades, but then you could have repair nanobot grenades that can mend your suit and others' suits in an area? What about a heavy tranq injector that would require some forethought but you could stick a kaiju with it and they start getting sluggish? Imagine that your suit has this massive bandolier with all these heavy grenades the size of your human torso. Imagine grinding for resources to make these massive heavy grenades for your suit then you have to manually load them onto your suit's bandolier and you can only use what you pack with you. To me that would be one of the coolest achievements ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.