Does Udon art style really fit Ember universe?

Does Udon art style really fit Ember universe?

• yes

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • no

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 19, 2016
It seems my comment was deleted?, But.... as long as the eyes, body stays proportional, Not awkwardly sized, and Isnt Too Anime-looking i think that i would be cool with it
also some Realism in the mix of it would be nice

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
I don't know if any of you guys watch thelazypeon but he gave his opinion on stylized graphics and I tend to agree with him on this point. The gist is:

When you have a game with a super realistic art style it will be shown up in the next few years by another game making this game seem much more dated in comparison. However when you have a certain art style it extends the lifespan significantly.

The great examples I can think of are Okami and Limbo. Both are quite old but because the design is very stylized the don't look super old.
Exempt games can get graphics update and not suffer from the aging as much as you would imagine. It's extra work sure, but its every few years and people can tolerate aging look if the game is actually good.
Going with styled at style just for the sake of longevity when you don't even know if your game will take off in the first place, is pretty silly. Also you have to consider all the people who will be turned off by "cartoony" graphics, while not many people have problem with "normal/realistic" graphics.

Also I think stylized graphics would be easier to create, since there are less details, which might benefit development with lower budget.

There are definitely positives and negatives to each. I am not big fan of cartoon/stylized/cel shared graphics, but there are games that work great with those. Also I think FireFall had really great spot with its art style look, it was stylized but at the same time things still looked pretty normal, and I could see it aging pretty well.