Are voxels a possibility?

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
Right now they most likely aren't, they will probably end up with procedural terrain but it will not be destroyable, i think that it would be too much of a massive undertake for ember anyways.

Jul 27, 2016
Right now they most likely aren't, they will probably end up with procedural terrain but it will not be destroyable, i think that it would be too much of a massive undertake for ember anyways.
Destructible terrain - no

Buildings - maybe

Randomly generated maps - oh yeah.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
Destructible terrain - no

Buildings - maybe

Randomly generated maps - oh yeah.
Voxels are a term strictly relative to destructible terrain used to indicate the smallest destroyable unit, voxel based world and procedurally generated terrain are different beast altogether even if they often go hand in hand, it's much easier to randomly generate a terrain mesh and place objects on it with an algoritm than to create voxel based world. i'll directly quote kern on the matter of the possibility the latter being used in ember
Yes, procedural generation is being strongly considered. Its one of the only ways for a small Indie team to produce enough content.

Jul 27, 2016
Voxels are a term strictly relative to destructible terrain used to indicate the smallest destroyable unit, voxel based world and procedurally generated terrain are different beast altogether even if they often go hand in hand, it's much easier to randomly generate a terrain mesh and place objects on it with an algoritm than to create voxel based world. i'll directly quote kern on the matter of the possibility the latter being used in ember
Thanks for the link!

Updating terminology...