Architecture Questions

Stroppel

Deepscanner
Jan 27, 2017
Hey There,

as I watch the creation of em8er from one of the first milestones I'm really thrilled to see how this all grows. I really enjoy to get this regular newsletter information and read about the current progress.

Now I Have 2 small questions:
As I have my own company delivering kubernetes to customer, I was wondering how the backend in online games like this are working. Till now i never hat a chance to take a look into the process of game development. This is also a reason why I enjoy following you guys. Do Gamedeveloper build there own stuff in the background or are you using something like cloudrun from google or what ever? Is there a Section, where you also talk about this technical stuff? I really would be interested on what you are doing there.
As the second question I wondering if you plan to use AI to give your NPCs more depth. like in the google smallville experiment (https://the-decoder.com/ai-town-lets-you-build-your-own-gpt-based-ai-civilization/)? I think this would really well integrate with your core Idea of haveing this events in a imersive living world where there is thread everywhere.

Greetings Andreas

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Hey Andreas

They have these Chief chats on Discord and streamed on twitch where there is much things discussed with Em8er related goodness for questions and answers too. Think they are held every 2 weeks unless there is something that gets in the way of that.

As I have my own company delivering kubernetes to customer
Out of curiosity what is the company called if you don't mind or is it top secret o.o

Stroppel

Deepscanner
Jan 27, 2017
So I can give questions at this chief chats? I always thought this is more like a podcast :D perhaps I will ask question there once. Would be cool to have AIs showing some real behaviour in the game...

Out of curiosity what is the company called if you don't mind or is it top secret o.o
Oh no.. I thought that it could be seen as advertisement :D but my company is called kubeops: www.kubeops.net

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Yes yes you can, also kubernetes rhymes with hachettes that's good for chopping to get good classic grainy homes!

my company is called kubeops
That could be a good group name in Em8er

1693606320886.jpeg
Behold the kuber lord as a kuberop merchant you will become more wealthy avoid the pirates or kuber tummy will not glow in radiance and thus cause higher tax until kuber is pleased once more with a hearty chuckle!!

Would be cool to have AIs showing some real behaviour in the game
Yes such as A.I arguing with other A.I's and to end the arugment one A.I fakes its death for the other A.I sees no reason to go on and waltz off. The A.I wakes up from its fake death state and has won this round.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
So I can give questions at this chief chats? I always thought this is more like a podcast :D perhaps I will ask question there once. Would be cool to have AIs showing some real behaviour in the game...
Yes that's the sort of question which would go well in a chief chat. I don't know how active @Grummz is on the forums at the moment.

As for the net code, there was someone working specifically on it; yes mmo code is insanely hard. I don't know if he's still helping, but Etiakor (from Nostalrius) was helping: