Alien Naming Contest ROUND 3!

Discussion in 'Contests, Events & Giveaways!' started by Ronyn, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattHunX

MattHunX Player One

Uh? o_O

*checks*

Oh, shit! You're right! :eek:

But...I could've sworn I saw "Greavers" there, instead of "Grievers." Might've been edited. Never mind. Fuckin' A! :cool:

Thanks! :D

2. MattHunX

MattHunX Player One

@Ronyn By the way...glad you guys actually dropped the "Grey" part, as it was (Grey) Grievers, but it was put in brackets to be optional, anyway. Just "Grievers" sounds better.

"Grey Grievers" will be the humanized-Tsihu football team, after a healthy dose of cultural appropriation. :p

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Fabricio21RJ likes this.
  3. ObsoleteVodka

ObsoleteVodka Member

Sorry for being a killjoy, i understand the people's enthusiasm and the desire to collaborate with the project, but to me most of the submitted names are either too over-elaborated or too cringey to even pronounce.

I just gave 3-4 stars to the four less dumb-sounding ones.

I'm sorry guys, i just had to say it. :(

SomeUnregPunk likes this.
  4. Terricon4

Terricon4 Well-Known Member

I will agree that most of them did feel cringey to think of saying in actual context or such. But there were still some ok ones, and two or three decent ones.

5. Dracomon

Dracomon Player One

Yeah, like mine....>_>...

6. EvilKitten

EvilKitten Gatestrider

Eh, I got yelled at for being "overly critical" of the cringy suggestions and here is where we are at...gotta make the best of what we have to work with. Kinda wish there was a chart to see how the voting is going.

Torgue_Joey likes this.
  7. Ronyn

Ronyn DEEPSTRIKER Community Manager

lol. I never "yelled" at you for being "overly critical". I stated that this contest is designed to welcome multiple points of view. For example, some folks see a name suggestion like "Sneazers" and think it's pretty great, other folks may think it's absolutely terrible. Both opinions are totally fine. Critical is allowed as long as no one insults another person just for having a preference that is different than theirs.

Hopefully the end result falls onto one of the names you feel would work really well.

Fabricio21RJ, Wyntyr and Pandagnome like this.
  8. Shokolad

Shokolad Emberite

I chose 1 to 2 stars only... Very disappointed for all names :( There wasn't really colorfull name.
    And shitty name will win from person with big quantity friends.

ObsoleteVodka likes this.
  9. MattHunX

MattHunX Player One

Hm. I understand your worry. Yes. You're saying someone can get other people (their contacts on whatever social-media platform) to go to the site and vote for a particular name.

Honestly, I don't know whether one person can be prevented from voting more than once. When I'm logged in and I go to the list, it doesn't really display a message saying I already voted. Maybe I haven't looked carefully enough, or maybe it will only display it at the end, when I hit vote, and it recognizes my IP address.

I do think they're both legitimate concerns. The first one, anyway. If the second is somehow prevented.

10. Wyntyr

Wyntyr Well-Known Member

About halfway over for the voting. I'm biting my nails to see which one's make it outta there alive.

11. Drakin5

Drakin5 Member

Voted. I didn't knew there were 30 names to rate.
    The first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions "edgelord" was Reaper from Overwatch.

12. Rocket

Rocket Gatestrider - T.H.M.P.R. Max Kahina

Greavers from round 2 appears to have been changed to Greivers in round 3. I don't remember that being in round 2. what gives?

I would have voted differently if not for that.

13. Yourafail

Yourafail New Member

Quite a varied mix of names in there, gave a few 4-stars. Some of them didn't really seem to fit with what I thought of the Tshiu. So just waiting to see what is voted for.
    Just wondering if there would be a re-vote if when the name is chosen, a significant amount of the community is unhappy with the result, and if there could be any new submissions from any newer joiners to the forums.

14. Wyntyr

Wyntyr Well-Known Member

Just under a week to go!

15. MattHunX

MattHunX Player One

Grievers <- spelling ... was mine. I do remember "Greavers" as well. But, as I've said, apart from sounding similar to mine, it's not actually a word. Don't know what happened to it, though.

16. Rocket

Misspelling in round 2 I've been told. If you've ever been kicked in the shins, you might know why I found it funny.

17. Pandagnome

Pandagnome Well-Known Member

Wouldnt the last decision be made by the em8er team?, would there be more opportunities to provide ideas for names?
    would the names destroy the game?

What if an alien was called MutoroCreeper = part mutant, part bull, part creeper

i like the sound of this although it sounds way stuipid but i like it though
    PrimalChhit because its number 1 turd and has an instinct to be annoying to the thmpr

18. MattHunX

MattHunX Player One

Yeah, I know "greave" or "greaves" in plural, as in shin-guards. But, there is no such thing as "greaver" or "greavers."

19. mematron

mematron Member

I think all the name choices blow and I mean that in a goat way - baaaaaaaaaaah!

Yes, I could do better ;) Biaches

ObsoleteVodka and Torgue_Joey like this.
  20. Rocket

I didn't make any contributions to the competition, since I wanted to remain impartial.

The idea of the competition as I understand it (as well as giving away some swag) is to come up with a slang word to describe the enemy. It should become part of lore. So it doesn't need to be a recognized word. It doesn't need to be "a thing". It just needs a connotation. I'd rather see slang created than appropriated.

I'm hoping that we end up with something that has dual meaning, rather than a cool word. Something that is both respectful and disrespectful at the same time. Or knockdown funny, whilst appreciative. The misspelling of your contribution fitted that bill.

I'm not trying to argue or anything.

Pandagnome likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.