Titles and sub-classes

Aug 14, 2016
As for as I know Em-8er is a classless game, but even in classless games different types of players fall into different type of playing styles and even make up their own sub-classes within the community sometimes with titles to match. And even in some classless games you can unlock hidden titles if you use the right combo of weapons, armor, and skills that hint at a class. With that being said, what do you think some titles and sub-classes in Em-8er might be or what you are planning to play as?

I'll go first.
My title and sub-class will be "the Melee Sniper". Because not only can I snipe things from far away like a normal sniper, but I'm also good at no scope killing at close range with a sniper rifle. This sub-class specializes namely in one hit kills or using the fewest possible amount if hits to get the job done. Meaning that when it comes to guns Damage Per Round (DPR) is more important than Damage Per Second (DPS). This sub-class is the embodiment of the phase "One Shot, One Kill" that has become like a kind of motto for snipers the world over. Because of this I often use my sniper rifle even at close range to get kills, mostly using no scope aiming if the game allows it without artificially making my aim bad when not using the sights/scope. This is my go to sub-class in shooter games, just like assassin or other insta-kill classes are my go to in melee focused games.

The people who knew me in FireFall also knew me as that one guy who would use a sniper rifle even in close range combat. And even after they nurfed Nighthawk to a near playable mess, I would still be running running around using my sniper rifle for everything. Even if I had to jump up into the air and fire at enemies at point blink rage because of how creepy they messed up the aiming system near the end. I love being able to do one hit kills in games, so I tend to use snipers a lot. But there is often no guns in games that are equal in power or style to snipers made for close range, so I end up using getting good at using sniper rifles at all ranges. And sure some people say just use a shotgun. But how many games do you know that have shotguns in them that use slugs over pellets? I like doing bust damage not cumulative damage, so unless there are hand cannons in the game that idea is out for me, lol.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
Speaking of shotguns with slugs... late-game firefall did have that one shotgun that fired slugs.
I loved that weapon so much that I learned how to snipe with it and I carried way past it's level.
Sure it's wasn't the most efficient use of my time, but it was fun.

there is so many cool looking guns that have neat reloading mechanic that never seem to reach the world of gaming...
Like the Henry lever action rifles.

but I digress.
When I was playing Anthem I would run around on a Storm javalin focused mainly as powers + melee and ignoring the guns entirely. Which isn't how many people play it.

Or while I was playing Firefall I loved that one of the engineers had a grenade launcher. Being able to do AOE damage while my turrets sniped everyone was fun.

While I was playing The Division 1 & 2, I enjoyed playing with the turrets coupled with a sniper rifle. It's pretty neat that the devs allowed the players to practically mount the turrets to anything which opened up it's capability. TD2 gave you a sniper turret which meant I could do AOE damage while also targeting enemies with precise fire.

Like if there is a class that allows sniper fire and AOE damage... I would be all over it.

Aug 14, 2016
In the early days of FireFall the Nighthawk's sniper rifle had a passive that when you got the killing shot on an enemy their bodies would explode in an small AOE equal to the damage left over damage of the shot. So let's say you shot did 100 damage and enemy you killed had 20HP left, the AOE damage their body would make is 80 damage. And the Nighthawk's old super ability was to use a special bullet that that would do like 4 times the normal damage with a proximity charge on it just in case you missed the target. If you hit the target with that bullet and killed it the AOE of the died body made was 3 times larger any did 100% of the damage of the shot to all nearby enemies too, and if those nearby enemies died to the AOE their bodies would also make AOEs equal to 100% of the damage they toke. Meaning that if you used your 1 special bullet to kill a tank in the middle of a group of enemies you could make an chain reaction of AOEs as bodies blow up killing others near them.

I found that to be super fun and it was right at home with my play style. Of all the super abilities in FireFall that was the only one without a time time limit on it only because it made you replace your next shot with that super bullet and you only got one of them. So you had to make that shot count. It also drove home the fact that the Nighthawk was the anti-tank sniper of the game. Because Nighthawk's shiper rifle had the highest base damage per shot in the game (the second highest being Raptor's Charge Rifle but even than it was only about the 3ed of the power) it was balanced out by the facts that it had the lowest ammo count in the game (unmoded guns only holding about 4 shots per mag and about 24 shots max) and one of slowest firing rates times in the game (there was some shotguns that had a faster firing rate.). But that didn't matter because everything short of bosses and fully armored Mammoth players was the only ones who take more than one shot from the sniper if it was head shot. Meaning that in PVP even Mammoth players had to fear a Nighthawk as they use armor piercing rounds that could go through shields and a head shot toke away only 90% of your health. Lol, although if the Nighthawk was using their special bullet than even Mammoth players with maxed out armor stats dead in 1 hit from a head shot. And I loved the sounded that special bullet made when you fired it. To make me, it sounded like a cross between a hawk and eagle screaming as it flys. But to my friend they said it sounded like a demon baby crying backwards, lol. I miss those days when I could miss a shot on purpose just put the fire of god in people because they knew a Nighthawk was around and hiding behind a shield wasn't going to help them. lol

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Now i had to double look at the title and at first it looked like tities
1586695564160.jpeg
anyways just wanted to get that out the way :D

What classes i like & the roles i like to play:

Stealth:
- Hacking to get in place or even make enemy turrets target their own
- No sound no tracers on weapon
- By pass high security beams and access
- stealing
- Using decoys
- rescuing hostage
- bugging rooms/ areas
- grappler to get to higher points
- luring enemies
- deploying explosives

Playing in a sneaky way has been fun because i like the slower pace and felt in control unless i was detected! Also felt like i was a futuristic ninja recon with all this tech under my belt like batman with his utility belt :D

Games like
-Thief (using the shadow to be invisible and using distraction etc
- Metal gear solid (Using a box to hide and even the stealth camouflage suit
-deus ex human revolution (augments and scans)
- crysis (stealth suit)
- global agenda (recon class with decoy, various bombs etc)
- firefall (recon sniper and run and gun with a nice p90)
- warframe (ivara great utilities and support)

Engineer/medic:

- repairing/healing
- Debuffing/buffing
- Group heal/fix
- turrets/stations
- class specific weapon

Playing medic or engineer can be fun especially when your supporting in a way that makes you feel useful.

- Global agenda (love the paingun as a medic painting a target on a single target and having the team mates all target it fast. Also engineer keeping turrets in check and protection them.

- Firefall ( healing spheres and the nice needle gun but poison farts were great.)

I dont usually play them as much but when i do it is more on supplying ammo/med and holding down a spot but saying that in global agenda having a shotgun was very satisfying moving from one place to another dropping turrets with fast cool downs.

Tanks

- Big shields
- Heavy aoe/rapid fire machine guns
- protecting other friendlies

Tanks are one of my faves maybe because of feeling safe with all that armor :D
Particular like pushing an enemy away with some suppression fire you know the image where the terminator has that big machine gun yes thats how it feels to be a tank.

- Global agenda (the helot gun was slightly less damaging than a heavy machine gun but you could pin down enemies to walls and seeing that was fun)

- Firefall (Dome shield it is superb to trap enemies and using turret mode too)

Tanks were quite slow but they made up for just their front-line way of getting into the chaos and pushing forward.

Now cant really choose all of them i am thinking that the tsihu are going to be smart they are going to be a very deadly threat and some move very fast too perhaps.

My main will most certainly be revolved around support ideally

In global agenda recons could specialize in explosives and they were super fun especially if you just like going stealthy pewpepwepwepw with smg dropping 3 explosives on top of each other and before they have a chance to escape the blast radius either stunned or damaged heavily.

These 3 styles below are my faves in order

1) [Stealth commando] i want to be prepared for many scenarios and with the tools to get the job done
different visions and able to see far beyond planning my route. With my layout of gadgets and stealth i can also help friendlies become invisible too!

2) [Medic Targeter] i want to be able to focus a priority target you don't mess with medic or you get paingunned have the ability to slow them down and debuff them and yet still able to support them with heals as a hybrid medic type.

3) [Engineer boomgunner] i want to be able to run and blast things watching them ragdoll as i run around, when things get hectic drop a turret or so to cover me and blast things away.

This could change because i may be drawn by the other class, and sub classes for now i think this is the best for me unless i get better at aiming with snipers and pressing buttons like a fast gazelle probably not who knows shrugs

Aug 14, 2016
I thought this was a titles thread...lol. I +1 for titles. Achievements like exploration, killing so many Shifters, etc.
In some classless games I played doing a number of set achievements will unlock a usable title that the player can use for a small buff. Like reviving X amount of people can give a title like "Rescuer" and when you ware that title you get a small buff to how fast you can revive and you can revive them with more HP than normal. That kind of system can work. But it falls on the devs to come up with different achievements and titles for people to work towards without the titles themselves being something that in end goal or must have for a meta. And that is a fine line to walk going by what kind of game you are making.

Now i had to double look at the title and at first it looked like tities
View attachment 3669
anyways just wanted to get that out the way :D

What classes i like & the roles i like to play:

Stealth:
- Hacking to get in place or even make enemy turrets target their own
- No sound no tracers on weapon
- By pass high security beams and access
- stealing
- Using decoys
- rescuing hostage
- bugging rooms/ areas
- grappler to get to higher points
- luring enemies
- deploying explosives

Playing in a sneaky way has been fun because i like the slower pace and felt in control unless i was detected! Also felt like i was a futuristic ninja recon with all this tech under my belt like batman with his utility belt :D

Games like
-Thief (using the shadow to be invisible and using distraction etc
- Metal gear solid (Using a box to hide and even the stealth camouflage suit
-deus ex human revolution (augments and scans)
- crysis (stealth suit)
- global agenda (recon class with decoy, various bombs etc)
- firefall (recon sniper and run and gun with a nice p90)
- warframe (ivara great utilities and support)

Engineer/medic:

- repairing/healing
- Debuffing/buffing
- Group heal/fix
- turrets/stations
- class specific weapon

Playing medic or engineer can be fun especially when your supporting in a way that makes you feel useful.

- Global agenda (love the paingun as a medic painting a target on a single target and having the team mates all target it fast. Also engineer keeping turrets in check and protection them.

- Firefall ( healing spheres and the nice needle gun but poison farts were great.)

I dont usually play them as much but when i do it is more on supplying ammo/med and holding down a spot but saying that in global agenda having a shotgun was very satisfying moving from one place to another dropping turrets with fast cool downs.

Tanks

- Big shields
- Heavy aoe/rapid fire machine guns
- protecting other friendlies

Tanks are one of my faves maybe because of feeling safe with all that armor :D
Particular like pushing an enemy away with some suppression fire you know the image where the terminator has that big machine gun yes thats how it feels to be a tank.

- Global agenda (the helot gun was slightly less damaging than a heavy machine gun but you could pin down enemies to walls and seeing that was fun)

- Firefall (Dome shield it is superb to trap enemies and using turret mode too)

Tanks were quite slow but they made up for just their front-line way of getting into the chaos and pushing forward.

Now cant really choose all of them i am thinking that the tsihu are going to be smart they are going to be a very deadly threat and some move very fast too perhaps.

My main will most certainly be revolved around support ideally

In global agenda recons could specialize in explosives and they were super fun especially if you just like going stealthy pewpepwepwepw with smg dropping 3 explosives on top of each other and before they have a chance to escape the blast radius either stunned or damaged heavily.

These 3 styles below are my faves in order

1) [Stealth commando] i want to be prepared for many scenarios and with the tools to get the job done
different visions and able to see far beyond planning my route. With my layout of gadgets and stealth i can also help friendlies become invisible too!

2) [Medic Targeter] i want to be able to focus a priority target you don't mess with medic or you get paingunned have the ability to slow them down and debuff them and yet still able to support them with heals as a hybrid medic type.

3) [Engineer boomgunner] i want to be able to run and blast things watching them ragdoll as i run around, when things get hectic drop a turret or so to cover me and blast things away.

This could change because i may be drawn by the other class, and sub classes for now i think this is the best for me unless i get better at aiming with snipers and pressing buttons like a fast gazelle probably not who knows shrugs
Reading this reminded me two other sub-classes I often play in games when I try to support other people. Mind you, I'm not really good at playing support roles. I'm just to much of a yang fire personality for that happen. This why these sub-classes are non-meta in just about every game I ever played but they also work in every game I played that would allow such builds to exist. Even if most other players have no clue as why I would play that way or how it really works.

Paper Tiger - the tank without armor.
This build relays on raw speed and commutative effects to work. This is melee tank build mostly, but can also be a mid-ranged tank if you use light mass rapid fire weapons like SMGs. I often dual wield weapons with really short attack times. When attacking this build is the embodiment of "Death by a thousand cuts" the amount of damage per hit doesn't matter as long as things like bleed, stuns, burn, and frost effect can stack on top of each other and have a commutative effect on the target. The why I support my friends with this build is by keeping aggro on me as much as possible while also making sure that my team can flank the target safely. This is an evasion tank, so it doesn't have much in way of defense or health. This Is really just a defensive focused offshoot of the glass cannon build. So like all glass cannons you have to juggle between doing damage and dodging attacks to survive. The key to this build is never stop attacking and never stop moving. To a lot of people you need to have high health and a lot of armor to be a good tank, this build bucks that trend of being like a rock in favor of being like the wind. Remember they can't kill what they can't hit.

MurDoc - the murdering doctor
This build is healer sub-class that relays on leech abilities and sacrifices to work. This healer is all about give and take with a not much equivalent exchange. In order for this class to give something it has to take it from somewhere else first. For example, in order for it to heal anyone else it much first take health from a target to do so, be it an enemy or itself. Meaning that before I'm able to heal I teammate I need to damage the enemy or myself to do so. This is not limited to just health but buffs too. If I was to buff your speed I would need to lower the speed of something else, be it an enemy or myself. If there are enemies around I'm basically making myself weaker to make friends stronger. This is all fine if your friends understand why you can't join in the fight until the side effects of draining yourself go away. Or why that before you can heal them or buff them you need to get in a good hit or two on the enemy as the amount of the heal or buff is mostly based on how much damage or energy you take from the target. Overall this build seems weak to those who don't understand how it works, but is always scales based on the target. Meaning the more health the target has the more it can take and the greater the heal. The more stats the target has the greater the buff. If you want to me give you a large defense buff you have to find me powerful tank to drain first.

Lol, by now some of you can guess that I don't meta builds in most games. But this little known and little used builds have always worked for me in games that allowed for them to exist. Although I have had few times of people taking note of those builds and getting them nurfed or banded because enough people thought they was ether to OP or that I was cheating somehow. Personally I view it as a testament to power of non-meta builds to challenge the way people think and change a game forever. lol

Last edited:

Greenon

Ark Liege
Jan 18, 2017
As for as I know Em-8er is a classless game, but even in classless games different types of players fall into different type of playing styles and even make up their own sub-classes within the community sometimes with titles to match. And even in some classless games you can unlock hidden titles if you use the right combo of weapons, armor, and skills that hint at a class. With that being said, what do you think some titles and sub-classes in Em-8er might be or what you are planning to play as?

I'll go first.
My title and sub-class will be "the Melee Sniper". Because not only can I snipe things from far away like a normal sniper, but I'm also good at no scope killing at close range with a sniper rifle. This sub-class specializes namely in one hit kills or using the fewest possible amount if hits to get the job done. Meaning that when it comes to guns Damage Per Round (DPR) is more important than Damage Per Second (DPS). This sub-class is the embodiment of the phase "One Shot, One Kill" that has become like a kind of motto for snipers the world over. Because of this I often use my sniper rifle even at close range to get kills, mostly using no scope aiming if the game allows it without artificially making my aim bad when not using the sights/scope. This is my go to sub-class in shooter games, just like assassin or other insta-kill classes are my go to in melee focused games.

The people who knew me in FireFall also knew me as that one guy who would use a sniper rifle even in close range combat. And even after they nurfed Nighthawk to a near playable mess, I would still be running running around using my sniper rifle for everything. Even if I had to jump up into the air and fire at enemies at point blink rage because of how creepy they messed up the aiming system near the end. I love being able to do one hit kills in games, so I tend to use snipers a lot. But there is often no guns in games that are equal in power or style to snipers made for close range, so I end up using getting good at using sniper rifles at all ranges. And sure some people say just use a shotgun. But how many games do you know that have shotguns in them that use slugs over pellets? I like doing bust damage not cumulative damage, so unless there are hand cannons in the game that idea is out for me, lol.
Slugs in shotguns should be a thing! Your right unfortunately very few games i have played have them included.

Aug 14, 2016
Yes they would slow them down and slime them well
View attachment 3672
Is a slow one but in numbers they will slow you down even more just like the zombies :O
If you are talking about using living mutant slugs as ammo for guns. I think things like Slugterra beat you to the punch. Although in Slugterra if a slug really likes you it would come back to you after it is fired so you can shoot it out of a gun again. Lol

Because if things I didn't when I was growing up I've more partial to graffiti style fronts. Things like bubble letters and bleeding/dripping letters. I also use to use embedded and emergence fronts in some of my work. I wound make letters and words look like they was cracks and broken parts of the wall. Some times for really old walls I would make it look like vines and other plants are growing on the to make the letters as the wall is breaking apart. My goal was to make an optical illusion of it just being a normal wall or doorway where the cracks, holes, lights, shadows, and some times plants would make words if you at them the right way. If you was just passing by and not really looking it just looked like a normal wall to you. Secret messages in plan sight. I use to do things in school too, as a way to mark territory as some groups of kids would fight over who controlled that part of the school when teachers was not looking.

Hmm... now I'm thinking about making personal tags for myself in the game. Where I can mark a wall or something with an image to messages to other players. Or use it as an icon on other people's map / radar let them know this is where I am or this is where we should meet. Lol.

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
... now I'm thinking about making personal tags for myself in the game. Where I can mark a wall or something with an image to messages to other players. Or use it as an icon on other people's map / radar let them know this is where I am or this is where we should meet. Lol.
Doesn't some of the Campaign perks offer holographic tagging? And the Bad Backers tag for sale in the shop?

Aug 14, 2016
Doesn't some of the Campaign perks offer holographic tagging? And the Bad Backers tag for sale in the shop?
I'm not sure. I have not looked into that kind of stuff. Although I would like it if all players could just make their own personal emblems and flags that they can put on there mecha, vehicles, G-suit, weapons, flares, and tags. Giving players basic art rules to follow like the size of the image and nothing vulgar or offensive should be enough. Although some games do have the devs look over everything to make sure of this, so it could take a few days to be approved and added into the game. Or people could upload their own images as long as they fit the gilde lines. I'm sure I can find a copy of my personal emblem that I used in my Armored Core East Coast Alliance days that I would like to use again in a mecha game.

Could these tags be used on others or random objects and how long do they last until the tag vanishes?
How would it look like if many folks tagged 1 thing would they be holo-swamped !
I would like it if you could use tags anywhere. Walls, rocks, using stealth spray your tag on an kaiju's butt. As for how long they should stay? That is a bit harder to answer. They should stay long enough to get the message across but not so long that start mess with the servers. I leave that up to the devs as I'm not a programmer, I'm a world builder and know that some ideas are great for world building but are outside of the limits of current technology to do. But something like 5mins should be to hard, I would think.

As for laying different tags on top on each other. Don't do that unless you want a fight on your hands. In the culture I grew up in where a tag was placed in relation to another had meaning. And placing your tag on top of someone else's tag was both a challenge to fight and a sign of disrespect saying that you think you are better than them. It could be a good way for a PVP system to work. The challenger tag being placed on to of the person/group they want to fight. But for normal stuff outside of PVP I say we try to avoid that.

Although if we are able to trade gear with other players it would be nice if I could put my emblem on weapons that I craft just like a trademark, so anyone who looks at the weapon's stats knows who made it.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
My eyes are going.. especially first thing in the morning and trying to read small type on my phone this thread title looked like- Titties and Butt-Glasses
ah those small screens are a pain in the butts

I would like it if you could use tags anywhere
Even the sky! just like the batman's distress signal projecting in the sky

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
My eyes are going.. especially first thing in the morning and trying to read small type on my phone this thread title looked like- Titties and Butt-Glasses
Welcome to adulthood. Where different parts of your body wake up at different rates. Lol, have you gotten to the point yet where to notice that each of your eyes sees colors slightly differently? Like the right eye being slightly better at seeing reds and greens while the left eye is slightly better at seeing blues? This you never notice when you are younger to notice more when you are older. Lol.

Even the sky! just like the batman's distress signal projecting in the sky
That are do like the game Dauntless doesn't where each player can fire flares / fireworks into the sky to signal their location. Some people use costume flares similar to how Warframe gives people and clans costume emblems to wear.

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
elcome to adulthood. Where different parts of your body wake up at different rates. Lol, have you gotten to the point yet where to notice that each of your eyes sees colors slightly differently? Like the right eye being slightly better at seeing reds and greens while the left eye is slightly better at seeing blues? This you never notice when you are younger to notice more when you are older. Lol.
As a matter of fact I have started noticing my right eye is getting weaker than my left. Blurrier, less vivid colors.. last year I had to start to learn how to shoot "crosseyed dominant". Meaning my whole life I've shot my guns righty and used my right eye to aim. Now I still shoot righty but with my handgun I tilt my head to the right and use my left eye. Sucks with the rifles because instead of keeping both eyes open looking through the red dot sight I have to squint my left eye halfway shut so it doesnt take dominance over my right and give me a false aiming point.