Fatigue for this Genre before Em8er is released?

Apr 29, 2017
Do you guys think the games like Destiny/2 and Anthem will cause fatigue and boredom with this genre before Em8er actually releases?

I can't help but think these AAA games will turn people off to the Genre. The fact that Em8er intends to have all the same kind of scummy microtransactions on a buy to play will make it even less likely that there would be any interest from the gaming community as a whole.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I didn't include warframe as it's f2p and for that reason will likely always have a loyal player base.

Kouyioue

Aug 1, 2016
They do trend in a certain way, and I can see a 1.0 release being fun for like a month or two and then quickly getting boring. At least until featurecreep sets in from continued development, as this has mostly to do with the prime-directive that Grummz has set up for this game: Base-gameplay first, and work on adding immersive stuff later

Objectively? If you liked Crysis Power Struggle (original 2007 version), or Firefall's Melding pushbacks either from the beta, or through the Amazon Warzone and are the kind of person who simply likes to log in and shoot stuff without any of that messy Korean-style leveling and grind with a hundred other players on the screen: em8er would have tons of replayability in that respect

But on the other hand, the genre itself is starting to become more associated with games like warframe and destiny(4-player coop level-select lobby games), with planetside 2 being its own thing. If these games somehow mess up the public-opinion on FPS coop before em8er gets off the ground, it actually MIGHT affect interest in em8er.

The other thing this game has going for it, in the least, is that it plans to be Open World rather than 4-player coop//Lobby-based like the rest of its predecessors.

- - - - - - -

if the spirit of Firefall devteam dickery made a comeback, the game could be super interesting with developers screwing around in the game and throwing in-game events.

Alas, the game isn't out yet and there are no core mechanics or tertiary gameplay art assets(except for a single crate) to look at yet, so only time'll tell how ember will feel any different once the pieces are in place

Last edited:

SirSam

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so personally. Its a super new genre honestly when you look at the number of mmofps total. Theres been what, 20 maybe?

The other thing is I personally think every mmofps besides firefall has been complete garbage from a design perspective. Most of the time its because of the AI for me. Early Firefall had awesome feeling AI because it was layered. Not necessarily smart.

But nah I think the genre is infatile compared to every other one.

Survival? Oversaturated
Mobas? Oversaturated
Battle Royale? heading to Oversaturated

But Mmofps? Theres some out there but not that many. Definitely not many good ones.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Well Em-8ER is not about doing missions or quests. Its a persistent wargame with personal mechs vs an invading army with their Kaiju beasts.

Also, Anthem and Destiny 2 are instanced small squad games. Even Warframe open word is limited to just your squad. Em-8ER allows potentially hundreds of players in a massive warzone (final numbers TBD).

Finally, what scummy micro-transactions? We don't sell power. We sell cosmetics. So...what are you referring to?

Do you guys think the games like Destiny/2 and Anthem will cause fatigue and boredom with this genre before Em8er actually releases?

I can't help but think these AAA games will turn people off to the Genre. The fact that Em8er intends to have all the same kind of scummy microtransactions on a buy to play will make it even less likely that there would be any interest from the gaming community as a whole.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I didn't include warframe as it's f2p and for that reason will likely always have a loyal player base.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
To give my two cents on this, i'd like to remind everyone that EM-8ER's concept is one never seen before, it contains many elements from many other games, but they are all mixed together in a specific way, a reason why the term MPW was created by Grummz for this game, it just isn't sufficient and accurate to call it "MMO". The closest game to EM-8ER in concept? Firefall. Firefall was very unique, at least before it went to crap as we all know by now.

It's one of the reasons why I don't think it'll be a tired out genre when EM-8ER comes out, because EM-8ER isn't actually going to be in this genre.

I'm feeling EM-8ER will bring a new golden age to gaming if it succeeds, people will notice EM-8ER is fun, doesn't get boring quickly, or at all for that matter, and then more developers will attempt to recreate this kind of game, seeing the concept is good.
Because devs these days are fairly scared of trying original concepts, and usually stick to generic games.
Some do try new stuff, which is good, some succeed, some fail.
This is another thing special with EM-8ER's concept, it's considered as a "never attempted before", but in reality it is close enough to Firefall's original concept, made by guess who, our leader Grummz! And we also have numbers showing how it did well (when it got the closest to the intended concept, concept which it never actually really reached due to The9 getting Grummz out), which barely anyone knows.

The odds are in our favor, i've looked at everything i could see about EM-8ER, I do see a couple of dangers to it's success, but they should be avoidable, as long as things are done correctly and well-managed. This explains my unending devotion to this project, at least to those who didn't know yet.

Thanks for reading my small wall of text btw.

Apr 29, 2017
Finally, what scummy micro-transactions? We don't sell power. We sell cosmetics. So...what are you referring to?
What about my bike exclusive for that early round of funding?
We will see but if you follow the cosmetic only monetization, people would be happy.
If you do what firefall did and sell bikes and other game effecting things, not so much.

It will be interesting to see if this game can separate itself in a considerable way from instanced shooters. I've not played Destiny/2. I know warframe is instanced. Anthem plans to be open world according to the wiki. TBH Anthem looks pretty bad ass but as an older PC gamer I don't buy into hype or pre order.

I do hope this game succeeds and hope there is no fatigue due to AAA rivals. My early experiences with Firefall were pretty magical. I got bored, came back later, the game was ruined and dead.

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
What about my bike exclusive for that early round of funding?
The bike is no faster than the Omniframe's skim mode, and in fact is slower to transition in and out of. From a power perspective it's not any better than skimming.

We will see but if you follow the cosmetic only monetization, people would be happy.
If you do what firefall did and sell bikes and other game effecting things, not so much.
Everyone could craft a bike in Firefall Beta. I was not there on release. During Beta other bike types were purely cosmetic skins. So again, where is the power being sold?

I know warframe is instanced. Anthem plans to be open world according to the wiki.
Anthem is 4 player instanced open world. Period. http://www.firstpost.com/tech/gamin...-with-jetpacks-and-an-open-world-3725161.html

I do hope this game succeeds and hope there is no fatigue due to AAA rivals. My early experiences with Firefall were pretty magical. I got bored, came back later, the game was ruined and dead.
We're not trying to change the world or take on AAA games in terms of sales. We want a fun wargame with enough of a userbase to keep it updated and going. It would be silly to expect us to compete with games costing $100 M to make and another 100M to market.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Of course any reasonable person will say there are a plethora or pitfalls in any development. Just like there are haters and avid supporters to Grummz. But I will echo the truth that Em-8ER is a unique, and for a while, one of a kind title.

The funding of every milestone has proven the excitement for this game to be made. The concepts, art and what small goals have been finished are only building in expectancy of a great accomplishment. This will put more focus, and stress, on the team but with the experience they have, it isn't something new to them.

There will never be pay for power in this game. That aspect has been squashed by Grummz on multiple threads. I, personally, can't wait for the cosmetics when thinking of what firefall had going in that department. This may be in the spirit of firefall, but Em-8ER will be a largely evolved vision that has brought some of the team from firefall but with new comers and their fresh talent.

Bottom line, as I have stated before, is we can only speculate on the success or failure this early in the project. Will be completely from biased perspectives. What is fact in what we have seen has widely been accepted and loved. The transparency from the Em-8ER team is still one of the most defining and positive showings that differentiate this project from AAA companies. All the right steps are being taken so far for proof that this game will be a pioneer, an original.

Thank you, Grummz and team. Onward to the bright horizon.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I am counting on our combat being such sheer joy that all else will pale in comparison. That's why FF was so well done at the start because the core of it was the fun combat and then the rest was slowly added until bad things started to happen. I am counting on the core pure fun. Look at Elex and how horrible the jump jets are on that. You think reading about it or watching a promo, "Oooooooooo boy! That will be stiff competition. Jump jets. Planet. Terraform." You play it, and you realize how wrong you were. Same will go for Anthem, I bet.

We'll see many that we think will compete be promoted and then play them and find they are junk.

We'll see a few that we think will compete and play them and find they are fun but at the same time so so different.

I don't see anything on the horizon that will be like EM-8ER all that much at this moment.

p.s. I hope Anthem will be fun, but it sure as heck won't be anything like EM-8ER.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I hope so too waiting is the toughest part for me, playing other games taking my mind of it but then those thoughts come back and i think whats going on when is it arriving when will i be able to stomp on an angry bug!!

Speaking of bugs halloween is coming i'd like to see the return of pumpkin head in this em8er and flaming skull too!

Dec 15, 2016
The way I see Em8er is that it's going to be a sleeper hit the moment it hits live. Sure, as of now even the development of Em8er isn't that news worthy but when it's finished, crowds will come and expectations will be defied.

But Mmofps? Theres some out there but not that many. Definitely not many good ones.
That one's sadly true to an extent. Most online FPS aren't that popular since they feel like an arena multiplayer pitted against an equal number of opponents with varying match mechanics and objectives. So far, the only *CLOSEST* competitor for Em8er in my bid would be Planetside 2 but the latter has trouble keeping new players stay longer than BR 10.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
The way I see Em8er is that it's going to be a sleeper hit the moment it hits live. Sure, as of now even the development of Em8er isn't that news worthy but when it's finished, crowds will come and expectations will be defied.
THAT'S MY ONLY FEAR. OH, AND THE SERVER COST. AND THE LACK OF EXPLOSIONS.

WE DON'T WANNA GO OUT BIG. WE HOPE TO ACHIEVE A SAFER AND STEADY START.
SURE. WE GONNA HAVE A PLAYABLE STATE FIRST. ALL OTHER LIKE IMMUHRSION AND MUH-MUH STORY SECOND.
MY "CUSTOM SKINNED" SHOTGUN AND KAIJU BADGE IS STORY ENOUGH FOR ME.

PEOPLE GONNA WAIT. PEOPLE GONNA B*TCH. LIKE I BITCHED ABOUT SKYRIM BEING A STUPID WATERED DOWN PORT AND BEING TOO CASUAL.

OF COURSE PEOPLE WILL BE DISAPPOINTED ABOUT THE GAME. THIS AIN'T BOOGER KING WHERE YOU CAN HAVE IT YOUR WAY. WE AIN'T GONNA PLEASE EVERYONE. IT'S PLAIN F*CKING IMPOSSIBLE.

PS: EM8ER NOT EVEN IN DEVELOPMENT YET. SO NO NEWS WORTHY CRAP ATM.

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
The reason people may/will be fatigued with the genre likely has little to do with the type of gameplay they offer and more to do with their pricing schemes and aftermarket marketing--AKA loot boxes. The explosive prevalence of the now-ubiquitous lootbox progression scheme makes these games both shallow and tedious. More and more games seem to be jumping on the "it's not technically gambling so it's okay to basically make our players gambling addicts" marketing philosophy. If Ember does NOT do that, it will have a stable and bright future I think.

Terib.Shadow

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Baal Secundus
The reason people may/will be fatigued with the genre likely has little to do with the type of gameplay they offer and more to do with their pricing schemes and aftermarket marketing--AKA loot boxes. The explosive prevalence of the now-ubiquitous lootbox progression scheme makes these games both shallow and tedious. More and more games seem to be jumping on the "it's not technically gambling so it's okay to basically make our players gambling addicts" marketing philosophy. If Ember does NOT do that, it will have a stable and bright future I think.
Well great, because no lootboxes planned. Only a cosmetic shop with no stat bonus at all.

Jul 26, 2016
yeah that's it.
I read an article where EA realized that whales spent nearly 15 grand on those lootboxes in Mass Effect Andromeda. So they decided to increase the pool to see if people would spend more money to gamble and people did. These weapon upgrades are only a single digit percentage upgrades and people were still spending their money for it.

Cosmetic shops are better. Warframe and Titanfall is like that. Though the grinding aspect of both of those games to get your gear in better shape can wear players down in a different way.

though that grind that can wear a person down is offset by how it's going to be done in Em8er.

In Em8er you got larger number of players and grinding for crafting materials will be an actual playable experience rather than a reward for doing something unrelated (i.e. kill a commander in a army and get 1000 pieces of iron! ). That's different. That's one of the reasons why I enjoyed firefall's mining so much.

Last edited:

Silv3r Shadow

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 29, 2016
Also if the game advertises itself as a MPW-FPS, there will be interest in knowing and findng out what the genre is, thus wiki being important, of course as a separate thread to ember.

I agree with most points mentioned. And what SirSam mentioned about over saturated genres, the mmo name has been abused, thrown around and given a bad reputation.
Hope we all can push the MPW concept, than people referring ember to another static mmo.

Last edited:

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016

What do you guys think?

I don't think anything out there specially anything you've mentioned is remotely like firefall or ember so no I don't feel fatigue at all. On the contrary I am DYING to play something like it and there is nothing like it. Also firefall did microtransaction in a very interesting way. It made the game better for me. I sometimes couldn't wait for a new product to be sold so I can have it. Either by paying for it with real money or working my ass off to buy it from the market some how. Man it was awesome.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2017
Worcester MA
www.youtube.com
I wanted to chime in my 2 cents on this topic. Firstly, I totally disagree that this genre will cause fatigue/boredom, as this game its pretty much in it's own genre, untouched. Yes, it might be a sub-genre, but Firefall was also in this genre, and as we all know, there is no game like it out now.

I think one of the biggest differences with Firefall from other games(at least during the beginning) was the open world attacks on cities/outposts, and everyone having to work together to defend and repel these attacks. I remember at Pax East circa 2k11 seeing the Firefall booth and watching the chosen attack with a giant dropship overhead...was absolutely EPIC.

I truly believe if Ember gets all of Marks original and new ideas for this game out to the public, and this game in marketed well, this game will surpass anyone's expectations greatly.