I Don't Like the Rifts

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I'm sure there's more information somewhere, but the rifts don't appear in the Vision Book. Lore-wise, they're mentioned in the novel if memory serves, and function as two-way portals. Not sure at present whether the Tsi-hu are able to open these wherever they like to a specific location, if they only travel through time rather than space, or what causes them to open (instability, tools, space wizards, etc).

If they opened in the same location in space, I'd love to be able to see the Tsi-hu world through them and watch them step out into our world. That would be an awesome effect! I agree that they're a bit bright and showy. Very visible at a distance, whereas your crack in time idea would make them less noticeable and more stealthy.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
what causes them to open
We actually do know that one.

When the Gatesriders first landed, they found that the planet was rich in resources, including "time ore". What they didn't know, indeed what they could not have known, was that this mineral as in fact put there to keep the Tsi-Hu imprisoned in their tie loop after they lost a civil war, which is a whole other story, but anyway, after the Gatesriders started mining the ore, the "prison walls" began to take "damage", leaving cracks for the Tsi-Hu to escape through.

So no, they technically cannot control when the rifts will open. They may be able to predict when and where they will open, but they cannot open them themselves.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Some cool portals the terminator one is really good and how that orb thing appear with the terminator in a ball shape.

Here are some more that i really like

https://youtu.be/D_mDuZpz780
I like the idea of the liquid kind of portal, because it could even come out from near the waters or from the sky even during a storm and with electric surging through the water could look especially nice.

This one i like how a very high energy particle rips and creates the portal, the sound effects add to the effect as if time has slowed.

Similar to how the terminator portal appears the start where it flashes pulsing as if it is forcing to break open.

This has that glass shatter effect not sure about it but the cracking is good

So no, they technically cannot control when the rifts will open. They may be able to predict when and where they will open, but they cannot open them themselves.
Couldn't they Have short distance portal travel to create like this only in the realm that they are in?.

If tsi-hu could move like this at times for the unpredictability then you could say they are shifters for sure

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Some cool portals the terminator one is really good and how that orb thing appear with the terminator in a ball shape.

Here are some more that i really like

https://youtu.be/D_mDuZpz780
I like the idea of the liquid kind of portal, because it could even come out from near the waters or from the sky even during a storm and with electric surging through the water could look especially nice.

This one i like how a very high energy particle rips and creates the portal, the sound effects add to the effect as if time has slowed.

Similar to how the terminator portal appears the start where it flashes pulsing as if it is forcing to break open.

This has that glass shatter effect not sure about it but the cracking is good

Couldn't they Have short distance portal travel to create like this only in the realm that they are in?.

If tsi-hu could move like this at times for the unpredictability then you could say they are shifters for sure
combine the animation of the unstable portal with the shape of the blink portal and you have IMO the ideal rifts in time.

Nov 2, 2020
They're so bright that I thought they were crystals for the longest time, especially with the lightning zapping between them.

I always been a fan of the more realistic idea of rifts and wormholes, that being a sphere hole in space. But because it is really hard for most people to picture something like that, in movies and stuff they often so them as 2D objects rather than 3D orbs.
Everyone does 2D rips or fancy magic-looking portals because they read well at a glance, but personally I think a more restrained approach like this would be more interesting.