Current Status of How I Feel About Em-8er

Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone, today I decided to put down my thoughts on the current situation with Em-8er. I watched it grow enough that I feel it's time I get the good and and bad out there, this is more so for me to look back on later down the road when the game is obviously more developed than it currently is (something to look back and compare with pretty much).

FireFall I am sure is the reason most if not all of us are here, the game rocked the scene and unfortunately had a very bumpy ride as the years went by. Currently as it stands no other game really matches the aspects of FireFall, most that did ended up dead during development for various reasons, others that aren't dead are practically frozen in time waiting to be worked on again. Ember (now known as Em-8ER) was a game I saw that would have some potential if taken into the right direction. Knowing the history behind FireFall sort of made me question some things, but I figured maybe this was like a second wind or second chance to make things right, so I followed into Em-8ER, waiting for a new beginning. I was excited after seeing some of the first concept art publicly available related to the game, it was an interesting take, wasn't sure how it would play out, but I was telling myself that I would figure it out when the time came. As time went on even more concept art came in, some of which did remind me of FireFall, so my hopes were high. Not long ago a playable tech demo popped up and that alone was exciting enough (played on it a bit, sure you couldn't do anything, but exploring was fun). More stuff came up recently, and now, I have to say that I am not sure about the game anymore. I am not saying this game is going to be bad, for all we know it's going to be a really good game, but part of me is conflicted by how things are being done. The game is starting to look more so like some kind of anime, sure I could look through that and ignore it, however way too many games I notice use a similar art style, I will say it's becoming to be an overkill, overused, and sometimes bland concept. Another note, the concept art for the female characters kind of bothers me a bit, to be blunt, just about every female character looks like a harlot, their concept makes absolutely no sense for the battlefield (it's starting to remind me of those garbage games that use female characters wearing skimpy clothing, like bikinis, and calling that armor), I personally don't understand a concept like this, but I feel that maybe somebody is letting hormones get the best of them and their dictation over how women in a game like this should be portrayed. When it comes to games like this, I see both men and women armored up and ready to take on any battle, now I haven't seen any concept art for the male characters (aside from the images here and there with the suits (tech demo too), and the image of a guy on the main page of this site), but generally with these cases the males look normal. I know customization is a cool concept to have, but do we really need to settle at a primitive stage and utilize the wrong end of the body to think?

I am all for giving eye candy to the the modern age audience, but one thing I will say is some concepts are best left to the individuals themselves rather than forcing the public to take it on. I came to play a good game, not stare at fake, pixelated, features everywhere I would have to go in the game.

I am aware that stuff like this is a common practice for various titles, some good titles have it too, but I was expecting a unique experience, something with oomph, less predictable, etc.

The end result is, I am unsure how I feel about the game now, I don't want to see another anime like game, and I really don't want to see "armored" (non-combat worthy) looking women in a game like this. I am not ready to call it quits yet, but I will at least hope that maybe this is just a funky state of development for the game, that the real deal will be something different and or better.

NOTE:
This is not to start trouble, this is just how I personally feel about the game currently, obviously everyone has their own point of view, I respect that.

Last edited:

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
First off, the manner in which you put forward you criticism, was as reasonable and level-headed as it could get, so no, it hardly comes across as you attempting to start trouble.

Getting into the core of your critique, I've seen this criticism elsewhere, that of Em-8ER trying to be anime-ish. I'd honestly ask that you detail that aspect a bit more. Is it the art that gives you that feel? Or is it the approach to action/movement? Maybe the change in character art?

Em-8ER takes a lot of inspiration from several games/anime. It only follows that some of it might 'bleed' into the game. However, I think it's far too early to make a judgement call on how the game is going to turn out. The Playable Mockup might better define the style of the game, and even then, it is only an early stopover on the road to final launch.

On the art for female characters, note that the artist is CuteSexyRobutts, an individual who is quite known for their 'particular' style. Granted, there is a lot of eye candy currently, but it has been swinging towards the more tasteful kind, recently.

Grummz is looking to appeal to as many as possible. So much so that he has plans for a filter system. If anyone is put off by the stylized art/skimpy clothes, they can simply pop the filter, and they will no longer see the skimpy/odd clothes, just default geesuits.

I'm going to point at Blade&Soul here. It has some of the most overblown character proportions in any game. And yet it's defining feature is it's combat.

Down the line, the eye candy fades to the background, and the game's success will depend on the content and the actual gameplay. Grummz has a track record of working on some of the most popular games in the industry. Even Firefall in it's beta days was an absolute blast. So I'd trust Grummz and his team to deliver on that front. The eye candy is an added bonus for those that enjoy it. I don't see any chance of it taking something away from the core gameplay.

As things stand today, yes, we may actually have more eye candy than gameplay, but that's just the stage of dev the game is in. Moving towards the kickstarter, expect more of gameplay as features are finalized and inked out. You can't exactly run a kickstarter with art alone. Again, the Playable Mockup is where it will all come together. And that will define the success, and the future, of Em-8ER.

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
figured maybe this was like a second wind or second chance to make things right, so I followed into Em-8ER
Yes i think so too

concept art for the female characters kind of bothers me a bit, to be blunt, just about every female character looks like a harlot, their concept makes absolutely no sense for the battlefield (it's starting to remind me of those garbage games that use female characters wearing skimpy clothing, like bikinis, and calling that armor)
I'll be honest with you too have seen it big butts big this big that but but they have a choice i am certainly going for the armor because to me i prefer that style. Lets say folks head to a more relaxing area in the Em8er universe to socialize i might not wear the armor but something else.

When it comes to games like this, I see both men and women armored up and ready to take on any battle
That would be good and if they do not want to with the filter should be good for all

The game is starting to look more so like some kind of anime, sure I could look through that and ignore it, however way too many games I notice use a similar art style
How do you see the game to look like?
Personally animes are not all that bad depends on the anime your referring about. Some of the classic animes had style and were far ahead of its time!

The end result is, I am unsure how I feel about the game now, I don't want to see another anime like game, and I really don't want to see "armored" (non-combat worthy) looking women in a game like this. I am not ready to call it quits yet
I am hoping it would look good enough to be unique not overly realistic and yet not overly cartoonish this is going to be very interesting to see.

I am glad your not quitting because the Development journey is still ongoing, and for me i feel the option to be represented well in a game can be important too.

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
Well written personal opinion. Good job.
As for your critique of the bootylicious aspect of character design at the moment.. I personally feel that "at the moment" sums it up, as this early in development things change with each month. Also I can take it or leave it as in FF and most other games I play as a male character if given the choice. (but I do like March's THICC skin)
If I look back at FF I see a comparable sexiness to the female character design, ie the female engineer w/ half a pant leg and a lot of skin, and her hip sticking out when standing.. Very sexy.
What will decide the game for me and many others is the core game-play and mechanics. Even though I love 75% of the direction we are going I also, as with many I assume, have their own ideas of what they want and dont agree 100%.
For example, the recent announcement of "glory kills" being implemented made me kinda cringe. Although I am not against them and do enjoy them in certain games (DOOM etc..) I thought to myself "Hmmm, I didn't think Em-8ER was going to be THAT type of game"
I have to remember that we are in Pre Pre Alpha and what is being implemented or suggested now may not even be around next year.
Development this early is fluid and dynamic and I have to remind myself of that when my personal expectations are not being met and most importantly that they will NEVER be met ABSOLUTELY, or we would have 20,000 different games! Lol.
Feedback from us will help the development team in the process and hopefully we will all enjoy the fruits of this journey.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
How do you see the game to look like?
Personally animes are not all that bad depends on the anime your referring about. Some of the classic animes had style and were far ahead of its time!
Well just look at the faces, look at the poses, etc. I am not a huge fan of anime considering all the really unappealing content a lot of people tend to post these days if you know what I mean (I don't try looking into these things either mind you, that stuff isn't my cup of tea, I just end up finding the wrong places it seems, regardless the content people post ruined it for me greatly over the years), but I have made exceptions for certain games that I do in fact enjoy. The main beef of it though is the fact that I see way too many games using the Japanese art style, while no there isn't anything wrong with it particularly, it's more so just getting old to see plastered everywhere I look (Steam, Nintendo eShop, internet period, etc). I prefer unique styles since that adds better definition to the game you are playing.

I know video games and watching television is two different things, but styles work across both fields, thinking back in my younger years with older cartoons I used to watch, I imagined many different takes on stuff like this. Take Ben 10 (2005) for example, if you ever watched the cartoon you'd know how good is was (I still watch it even today), but look at the art style it used. The themes felt like I was looking at a comic book, but it had other styles mixed in with it to sort of balance it out so it wasn't just a single or overused style, making it feel just right (I don't know all the art styles by name so please bear with me). I haven't seen any other cartoon utilize the same aspects as Ben 10 (2005). Stuff like this would be cool to see as concept art rather than a style that sort of steers me off a bit.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
Well just look at the faces, look at the poses, etc. I am not a huge fan of anime considering all the really unappealing content a lot of people tend to post these days if you know what I mean
Think of the characters in the artwork as just mannequins modelling the Geesuits, as @Wyntyr mentioned. The playable characters for Em-8ER are currently being reworked. Here is a sample of the female playable character:

Female Pilot V2.0 Geesuit Render - Front.jpg

Of course, as part of character customization options, you will have access to multiple sliders for aspects of your body, so I suppose certain perceived 'issues' may be unavoidable. Then again, to each their own, and in most cases, the filter I mentioned earlier should be a quick fix.

Methanoid

Deepstriker
Feb 24, 2019
looks good so far tbh, cant expect it to look near identical to firefall, there has to be some differences so as not to potentially get in trouble later on.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I am not a huge fan of anime considering all the really unappealing content a lot of people tend to post these days
Yes there is saturation of a style of anime but its why i keep looking back to the past at times.

I know video games and watching television is two different things, but styles work across both fields, thinking back in my younger years with older cartoons I used to watch, I imagined many different takes on stuff like this. Take Ben 10 (2005) for example, if you ever watched the cartoon you'd know how good is was
Yes i know what you mean and i agree the old style as you can see here was much better imo!

With styles i also like things like e,g,

The cgi reminds me of the mgs4 game

I like the cell shaded style it has a comic and timeless feel plus the action :D

I see way too many games using the Japanese art style, while no there isn't anything wrong with it particularly, it's more so just getting old
There are some but then there are some you just cannot forget!

As for your critique of the bootylicious aspect of character design at the moment.. I personally feel that "at the moment" sums it up, as this early in development things change with each month. Also I can take it or leave it as in FF and most other games I play as a male character if given the choice. (but I do like March's THICC skin)
I am looking forward to the progress its coming nicely and gradually
Would also like to see more less thicc looking skins too in the future!

If I look back at FF I see a comparable sexiness to the female character design, ie the female engineer w/ half a pant leg and a lot of skin, and her hip sticking out when standing.. Very sexy.
That i could agree for sure but also the armored looking one's were also superb!!
1585317549716.png
Development this early is fluid and dynamic and I have to remind myself of that when my personal expectations are not being met and most importantly that they will NEVER be met ABSOLUTELY, or we would have 20,000 different games! Lol.
Your right it would be insane just like i could imagine having super mario kart mash up with this game wouldnt work but in my head it makes perfect sense :p

Think of the characters in the artwork as just mannequins modelling the Geesuits, as @Wyntyr mentioned. The playable characters for Em-8ER are currently being reworked. Here is a sample of the female playable character:

Of course, as part of character customization options, you will have access to multiple sliders for aspects of your body, so I suppose certain perceived 'issues' may be unavoidable. Then again, to each their own, and in most cases, the filter I mentioned earlier should be a quick fix.
I like this model the light up parts looks superb also what if there were orange bits on her knuckles instead of her finger tips?

Though i guess there will be sliders for different hand types too and the sliders will give many variations to the player choice that is great