Lets get real folks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
I love belly dance! :D (It's HARD to do!)

Somebody please explain to me the apparent fixation of many (men?) with these anime characters that look like 9 year old girls with 20 year old bodies?? (There is just something disturbing about that look to me. o_O)

Jul 27, 2016
I love belly dance! :D (It's HARD to do!)

Somebody please explain to me the apparent fixation of many (men?) with these anime characters that look like 9 year old girls with 20 year old bodies?? (There is just something disturbing about that look to me. o_O)
Post a photo for reference. I have no idea how a 9yr old can have a 20yr body?

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
Post a photo for reference. I have no idea how a 9yr old can have a 20yr body?
Me either..it's the faces they draw on the models....the hairstyle in pigtails looks like little kids and the super big eyes also look like drawings of young children, at least to me.

Oh yes...and also they have NO LIPS, just a line for a suggestion of a mouth.

Found a few images of the types of art the anime characters make me think of:

waif3.jpg

waif4.jpg

waif2.jpg

waif5.jpg

You get the idea....but even these kids have lips...well most of them do.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
Me either..it's the faces they draw on the models....the hairstyle in pigtails looks like little kids and the super big eyes also look like drawings of young children, at least to me.
Yeah those are weird... super creepy. I thought you were talking about Elin's from TERA

Yrkul

Jul 27, 2016
The typical asian cartoon style was inspired by Disney, of all sources, but when the large eyes were applied to stylized human faces instead of anthropomorphic characters, they tend to convey a very youthful, childlike appearance.

Often, when trying to depict older characters, artists will design these with smaller eyes and more angular and/or detailed faces. Classic example: Captain Goto from Patlabor.

Last edited:

Yrkul

Jul 27, 2016
So, the end result of women with children's faces and grown up bodies is not a result of a fixation, but a traditional way of designing comic book characters. On top of that, the simplified facial expressions are faster to draw, which just reinforces the practice. That is why you see this style so often.

However, some artists do cater to "those" consumers, and will emphasize a child-like look using effects like bodytype/proportions, hairstyles, accessories and oversized clothing. Supply and demand...

Also, you did manage to find some of the more disturbing ones. :D

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
So, the end result of women with children's faces and grown up bodies is not a result of a fixation, but a traditional way of designing comic book characters. On top of that, the simplified facial expressions are faster to draw, which just reinforces the practice. That is why you see this style so often.

However, some artists do cater to "those" consumers, and will emphasize a child-like look using effects like bodytype/proportions, hairstyles, accessories and oversized clothing. Supply and demand...

Also, you did manage to find some of the more disturbing ones. :D
I stole the anime one off the other part of this forum in the 2D Navel section...the little "waif" drawings came from a Google search for "greeting card waifs".

I suppose that MOST of the men who like these drawings aren't looking at their faces anyway. Although even Jessica Rabbit looked more mature than those anime chicks, who would look more mature if all they did was add some lips (which since lips are generally considered 'sexy', I can't really fathom why they were left out. It wouldn't be that much more effort)

Yrkul

Jul 27, 2016
I stole the anime one off the other part of this forum in the 2D Navel section...the little "waif" drawings came from a Google search for "greeting card waifs".
Well, your search term is certain to come up with very young subjects of pityable demeanor.

I suppose that MOST of the men who like these drawings aren't looking at their faces anyway. Although even Jessica Rabbit looked more mature than those anime chicks, who would look more mature if all they did was add some lips (which since lips are generally considered 'sexy', I can't really fathom why they were left out. It wouldn't be that much more effort)
That kind of generalization is rather unfair to the majority of anime/manga fans. It would be akin to insinuating, that fans of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck were getting "a little extra" out of their comics and movies.

Looking over the vast amounts of genres and artists, you'll see the same stylization present to a greater or lesser degree. You will find styles remniscient of Ranma ½ or Naruto in a long range of manga and anime, from slice-of-life and social commentary, to action, comedy and romance. The style is present in products, where a sexual element is virtually non-existent.

Making a generalizing assumpion based on an obviously fetishized illustration does the style injustice. As one of the vanguard of japanese media collectors in Denmark (yes, I liked anime/manga before it became popular over here), I feel getting shoved into the same box as certain stereotypes. I also like heavy metal, but that doesn't make me a satanist either.

A lot of research is done on visual media in general, and the popularity of japanese comics is not just due to horny individuals wanting to oogle bare flesh, but rather a broad range of factors, from novelty or narrative, to ease of projection.

MollilMayhem

Jul 27, 2016
GA, USA
Well, your search term is certain to come up with very young subjects of pityable demeanor.

That kind of generalization is rather unfair to the majority of anime/manga fans. It would be akin to insinuating, that fans of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck were getting "a little extra" out of their comics and movies.

Looking over the vast amounts of genres and artists, you'll see the same stylization present to a greater or lesser degree. You will find styles remniscient of Ranma ½ or Naruto in a long range of manga and anime, from slice-of-life and social commentary, to action, comedy and romance. The style is present in products, where a sexual element is virtually non-existent.

Making a generalizing assumpion based on an obviously fetishized illustration does the style injustice. As one of the vanguard of japanese media collectors in Denmark (yes, I liked anime/manga before it became popular over here), I feel getting shoved into the same box as certain stereotypes. I also like heavy metal, but that doesn't make me a satanist either.

A lot of research is done on visual media in general, and the popularity of japanese comics is not just due to horny individuals wanting to oogle bare flesh, but rather a broad range of factors, from novelty or narrative, to ease of projection.

Not saying all anime is sexual or fetishist...just some of it that seems to get a lot of attention (especially in some of the Korean MMOs) that are way over the top. I actually have watched and enjoyed a couple of anime type shows, it' s just not my favorite art style.

Yrkul

Jul 27, 2016
Not saying all anime is sexual or fetishist...just some of it that seems to get a lot of attention (especially in some of the Korean MMOs) that are way over the top. I actually have watched and enjoyed a couple of anime type shows, it' s just not my favorite art style.
Well, I can follow you on that one.There's a reason why I don't play most asian MMOs for longer than it takes to analyze the general mechanics and note possible innovations in the design.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
This is generally because each artist takes the art style and try to stylize it further to be more unique. Often times resulting in art that is simply more exotic which draws attention because of how simple the basic anime art style is.

Even within fan art there is quite a bit difference between something like this:

This:

and This:

All belong to the overall anime art style, all of the same character, but each artist approaches it differently.

There is also the thing that sex simply sells. Throw in some exotic beautiful women and people will go after it without worrying too much about the quality of the game itself, or the plot line of the story. Harder to pull off with more "realistic" art styles.

Yes I did just want an excuse to post fan art.

Yrkul

Jul 27, 2016
Fox ears. Lots of anthropomorphs and shapechangers (hengeyokai) in japanese folklore. Kitsune, tanuki, karasu tengu, kappa... Once you popularize the concept and extend it to cute and cuddly animals, you get cat girls, panda girls, etc.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2016
I like the first one best....What IS it with the cat ears???? Or whatever kind of ears they are supposed to be?
Yrkul nailed it. Mostly mythic lore of the culture.

Like the Greeks with Bulls (Minos/Minotaur), Chinese culture tends to have alot of gremlin like demons. Vikings had alot of water spirits, Native American tribes have horse/bear/eagle spirits.

It just so happens that once the idea caught on and became "usual" then the perverts kinda took to it.

And don't worry, there are plenty of us who are appalled/repulsed by the idea of a young girl in anime being portrayed as, say, a ageless god-like figure, but with the body of a 12 yr old. (That's the typical loophole, yes? Look, its a 3000yr old slutty demon, it just HAPPENS to look like it's 12... so it's ok!) No. Just no. Ew.

There are plenty of female body types to choose from, without including "child" into that field.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
I like the first one best....What IS it with the cat ears???? Or whatever kind of ears they are supposed to be?
Fox Ears, specifically the character is Tamamo-no-Mae a legendary Kitsune from japanese folklore as portrayed in the Fate series made by Type-Moon. In game she is referred to as Caster, due to how it is beneficial for the Servants (which are all Heroic Spirits, legendary beings, World Guardians, Imaginary Heroes/Villains, etc) to hide who they are. Otherwise their opponents could look up their stories to find their weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.