em8er stand alone install!

Kassatsu

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jun 13, 2017
I believe the plan is for the game to be standalone with its own launcher, Steam isn't even guaranteed at this point (though I believe it's highly likely it will also be there).

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
These are Grummz's recent thoughts on the plans for distribution of Em8er

Grummz 09/17/2018
I want something independent of Steam. I’m with Epic on this. In the modern era it makes no sense for the e-store front to take 30%
Grummz 09/17/2018
It’s still going to be Steam unless something better shows up
Grummz 11/03/2018
I was thinking Steam..but if Epic comes out with a better rate on their future store...
These are taken from discussions on Discord.
There has been no recent discussion about standalone launchers afaik. Might be something to ask him when he's around.

Last edited:

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I didn't know steam takes 30%

That said, steam is a great way for people to find your game for players who otherise wouldn't have known about it. At least for now, don't know if that will change in the future.

Thixlplix

Deepscanner
Nov 9, 2018
Well I hope not. I would never install the game if I need Steam in any fashion. I will have wasted my package money too. I guess I could gift it to someone else.

PartTimeJedi

Em8ER Adjudicator
Staff member
Archon
Ember Moderator
Nov 13, 2018
Holy Terra
I had steam Customer Service delete my account last year. I kept getting notifications of attempts to hack my account. The hack always seemed to come from China, Turkey or India.
I wasn't interested in anything steam had to offer so I got rid of it.
Hope Em-8ER goes the stand alone route, or both so we can at least have a choice.
But time will tell.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I had steam Customer Service delete my account last year. I kept getting notifications of attempts to hack my account. The hack always seemed to come from China, Turkey or India.
I wasn't interested in anything steam had to offer so I got rid of it.
Hope Em-8ER goes the stand alone route, or both so we can at least have a choice.
But time will tell.
I would delete my steam account but I have so many games that i bought over the years that I would lose a lot of money in doing so.

Also...it's the only place left to find firefall.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Within the first year of Half Life 2 release I had lost my first steam account, but back there there wasn't any formal way to contact a help service at all. Lol since then though I have had zero issues with steam. I do hope Em-8er goes the stand alone route but ya, my steam account is worth thousands at over 300 games. Wont be walking away from that anytime soon.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I don't have any problems with steam. Has always ran good for me and it keeps multiplayer games alive which is a good thing for new games. As soon as EA took off Battlefield 2 from steam it completely went down, dead. Steam has a gallery for you to post your screenshots, a gallery for you to link your youtube videos, has a gallery for your own artwork.....I don't know who doesn't like that. I personally hope it comes out on steam. For the sake of the game cause no one has the amount of costumers steam has. I think the 30% is worth spending. Cause I remember how much I use to buy stuff from firefall using my steam account. Steam has cards, badges, wallpapers, this is support for the game. I also spent a lot of money to get the missing cards. This goes to the game. What I have a problem with is the other imitators. Steam came first, now is origin, uplay, GoG what ever the next thing. I don't think I should have a second download manager if I already bought it in steam. I hate it when I have to also use uplay to play far cry, the division or what ever uplay game when I bought it on steam. Doesn't create a problem for me but come on man....enough

Last edited:

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Uplay, meh. GoG wont stop spamming me and origin can kiss my ass. I had a security issue with them and they have zero support for validating accounts. Hacker registered a different phone number to the account so all I can do is change password via email but cant get past security checks to login. So much for three of the only eight games I ever bought at full price online. (MMO's not counted)

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
I feel for those which have used steam as a main source of games, I do have an account... though that is only as for a while that was the only way to access a few big titles. If I could have accessed those titles without steam, you bet your nuggets I would never have created an account there. "Only available on Steam" is and always has been a red flag for me.
Then again, I'm just a mouse running through a maze looking for the days' snack and hoping there are no traps.

0V3RKILL

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Aug 5, 2016
I feel for those which have used steam as a main source of games, I do have an account... though that is only as for a while that was the only way to access a few big titles. If I could have accessed those titles without steam, you bet your nuggets I would never have created an account there. "Only available on Steam" is and always has been a red flag for me.
Then again, I'm just a mouse running through a maze looking for the days' snack and hoping there are no traps.
I actually bought all the games I own on retail cd or dvd on steam. Mostly cause the majority of them wont work anymore cause of the old security system and CD keys...like area51 for example. Some of those CD or DVD broke from the middle from years spinning cause you had to run them in order to play the games. Especially multiplayer ones. For example Far Cry, BF2 and a ton of others. People forget that steam games never needed that. I have them all in steam including old games like sacrifice and giants citizen kabuto and they are patched and working with windows 10 and can download them with one click any time from anywhere. At least they work for me and I love it. I also have sony vegas bundle, powerDVD cyberlink bundle, sonar cakewalk bundle for recording my music and a ton of other software.

Last edited: