Orbital Comm PvP Recreated in UE4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
*If the devs so not want this on the forum feel free to delete*

I kept my production scope small and tried to copy Firefall's Orbital Comm Tower (OCT) the best I could. Obviously it's not the AAA polish that gamers expect but for what it's worth, I recreated the Team PvP gameplay and Accord battleframes from Firefall's OCT.

:: Download the game :: v1.6
Windows 64bit & 32bit
*Requires Steam for Online Play*
Set Steam Download Region to US Washington (Steam > Settings > Download > Download Region)

I spent the last least year delving into what it takes to make a game. The journey started when the Firefall servers closed and Ember declared no pvp. I decided I wanted to see what it took to make a pvp game. The term 'humbled' definitely describes my new perception of game development. Aside from having to learn how the engine works I learned it takes a great deal more to fully wrap the mind around every line of code and every limitation of the engine even before production starts. Every change made to the code creates a new potential barrier and obstacle or in some cases a Call-Stack loop to crash the game. Fortunately with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) beginner character models, particles, and animation assets are available for free and it saved me a lot of time. There's still a lot to learn and I'd definitely do some old scripts differently but for now, unless there's a call to improve, add to, or further balance the game, this is the product. (Blackwater would be cool but support would need to back its production).

The list of characters is as follows:

Assault
Main Primary: Fusion Cannon. Single Shot AoE
Main Alt: Nova Cannon. Charged Single Shot AoE. Damage and Radius increased with charge
Secondary: Assault Rifle*
Ability 1: Afterburner. Launch into battle or into the sky with immediate thrust
Ability 2: Crater. Plummet down like a meteor dealing more damage the longer the fall.
Ability 3: Overcharge. Increase damage output for all damage actions temporarily

Dreadnaught
Main Primary: Minigun*
Main Alt: Frontal Shield
Secondary: Grenade Launcher
Ability 1: Armor. Increase damage resistance temporarily
Ability 2: Impulse. Deal AoE damage at short intervals temporarily
Ability 3: Turret Mode. Root self to increase main weapon accuracy and provides small health regen

Engineer
Main Primary: Nanite Spray. Heal deployables and damage enemies.
Main Alt: Submachine gun*
Ability 1: Turret. Spawn up to 2 place-able auto-turrets
Ability 2: Shield Barrier. Spawn a shield barrier
Ability 3: Support Station. Spawn an AoE healing station for teammates

Medic
Main Primary: Link Gun. Heal a single target ally. (Only heals teammates. One beam per target.)
Main Alt: Overheal. Increase healing of link gun at the expense of fuel. (Only heals teammates. One beam per target.)
Secondary: Submachine gun*
Ability 1: Healing Wave. AoE healing blast to teammates and self. Pushes enemies away.
Ability 2: Defib. Revive a fallen teammate or deal damage to an enemy
Ability 3: Triage. Increase revive speed and small damage reduction

Sniper
Main Primary: Sniper Rifle*
Main Alt: Scope
Ability 1: Remote Mine. Launch a remote mine that sticks to surfaces.
Ability 2: Overcharge Shot. Grant teammates a temporary damage bonus
Ability 3: Corpse Explode. Use on a downed enemy to immediately execute them and inflict AoE damage to nearby enemies.

*Headshot damage enabled (Damage x2)

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I'll try to get there & interested to give it ago even though i am not much into pvp

Just some ideas, not sure if its plausible?

- pvp riding a brontodon so that you can use bronto task charge - just makes it more fun i think
- physics can the opponent get blasted into space with weird physics - like goat simulator
- skin change man/woman baby make them wear diapers and the weapon skins if melee is introduced is a rattle or tiny frying pan with a massive BOINK sound
- wack attack vengence!!! 1 person is randomly selected as the mole who will WACK you with his almighty hammer the others have no weapon so they must hide.
If you get wacked by the mole you go flying somewhere no idea where but its far. When everyone is wacked another person becomes the mole. What is the point of this to wack someone its funny :eek:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Nice job! :)

*If the devs so not want this on the forum feel free to delete*

I kept my production scope small and tried to copy Firefall's Orbital Comm Tower (OCT) the best I could. Obviously it's not the AAA polish that gamers expect but for what it's worth, I recreated the Team PvP gameplay and Accord battleframes from Firefall's OCT.

:: Download the game :: v1.1 *CURRENTLY ONLY SUPPORTS LAN*
W64-bit & W32-bit

I spent the last least year delving into what it takes to make a game. The journey started when the Firefall servers closed and Ember declared no pvp. I decided I wanted to see what it took to make a pvp game. The term 'humbled' definitely describes my new perception of game development. Aside from having to learn how the engine works I learned it takes a great deal more to fully wrap the mind around every line of code and every limitation of the engine even before production starts. Every change made to the code creates a new potential barrier and obstacle or in some cases a Call-Stack loop to crash the game. Fortunately with Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) beginner character models, particles, and animation assets are available for free and it saved me a lot of time. There's still a lot to learn and I'd definitely do some old scripts differently but for now, unless there's a call to improve, add to, or further balance the game, this is the product. (Blackwater would be cool but support would need to back its production).

The list of characters is as follows:

Assault
Main Primary: Fusion Cannon. Single Shot AoE
Main Alt: Nova Cannon. Charged Single Shot AoE. Damage and Radius increased with charge
Secondary: Assault Rifle*
Ability 1: Afterburner. Launch into battle or into the sky with immediate thrust
Ability 2: Crater. Plummet down like a meteor dealing more damage the longer the fall.
Ability 3: Overcharge. Increase damage output for all damage actions temporarily

Dreadnaught
Main Primary: Minigun*
Main Alt: Frontal Shield
Ability 1: Armor. Increase damage resistance temporarily
Ability 2: Impulse. Deal AoE damage at short intervals temporarily
Ability 3: Turret Mode. Root self to increase main weapon accuracy and provides small health regen

Engineer
Main Primary: Nanite Spray
Main Alt: Submachine gun*
Ability 1: Turret. Spawn up to 2 place-able auto-turrets
Ability 2: Shield Barrier. Spawn a shield barrier
Ability 3: Support Station. Spawn an AoE healing station for teammates

Medic
Main Primary: Link Gun (Only heals teammates)
Main Alt: Overheal (Only heals teammates)
Secondary: Submachine gun*
Ability 1: Healing Wave. AoE healing blast to teammates and self
Ability 2: Defib. Revive a fallen teammate or deal damage to an enemy
Ability 3: Triage. Increase revive speed and small damage reduction

Sniper
Main Primary: Sniper Rifle*
Main Alt: Scope
Ability 1: Remote Mine. Launch a remote mine that sticks to surfaces.
Ability 2: Overcharge Shot. Grant teammates a temporary damage bonus
Ability 3: Corpse Explode. Use on a downed enemy to immediately execute them and inflict AoE damage to nearby enemies.

*Headshot damage enabled (Damage x2)

I plan on playing the game Saturday, March 3rd at 4pm Pacific Build v1.1 Online is not functioning as intended however LAN does work. I'll produce a new build when I find the answer.

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
v1.6 update now available.
Steam is required for online play
The steam app being used by the game is Region Locked. Therefore in order to connect with other players your steam client will need to match the Download Region of the host. Do this by opening Steam, click Steam on the top menu > Settings > Download > Download Region.

Within the game I posted to set the download region to either US Washington or GER Frankfurt. This will at least promote 2 default regions for people to host and connect.

Please post any bugs, feedback, ect. here.

As for scheduling a play session I am aware Saint Patrick's Day is coming. Therefore I propose to play on Sunday March 18th at 4pm Pacific. Remember to set your Steam download region to US Washington

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Play session ended early due to lag complications. I'm pretty sure I know what's causing the lag; novice scripting that is replicating too many things. Gotta clean it up and see where I'm at on how I feel about adding more frames or just leaving it with the Accord frames.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Play session ended early due to lag complications. I'm pretty sure I know what's causing the lag; novice scripting that is replicating too many things. Gotta clean it up and see where I'm at on how I feel about adding more frames or just leaving it with the Accord frames.
Keep it simple for now and once you got it how you want it to be, then can think of adding the other frames!
what do i know... i am just a day dreamer :oops::D

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Keep it simple for now and once you got it how you want it to be, then can think of adding the other frames!
I plan on making the adjustments I believe are needed, adding the Firecat, then testing the change to see if the lag issue is gone. If all goes well I'll pump out v2.0 which I hope to include loadouts and the ability to choose frame abilities; players won't have a specific Firecat frame or Mammoth frame but they'll be able to choose which abilities they want according to the class.

ah - GER Frankfurt - totally not the normal server location in germany/Europe xD
Honestly I just picked one. Comparing land mass distance, I figured any EU player could connect to Frankfurt to average the lag across players. Same goes for my choice of US Washington; most players are East Coast anyway and if EU wanted to jump over the ocean that would be one of the closest locations. I have no hard proof that these locations are the best, I just picked.

P.S. I am aware the Keybind Widget when used by the Host player sometimes causes their Lobby menu to disappear thus making them unable to start the match. *yeah bugs*

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
ok, you might want to change the steamworks port as the game added spacewar (a game made by valve as Steamworks API demo) to my recent tab (change it from 480 to something else heh) - makes me kinda look suspicious xD
app id 480, spacewar, is the only free app id through steam that devs can use to test their game. Anybody who looks up what Spacewar is will quickly learn that it was a game that moved on but the app id was kept for testing purposes; not suspicious.

To get my own app id I would need to sell the game on steam. I have no intention on making money for this project and...for any future projects. The Region Lock issue is a fresh issue that I haven't had time to really tackle. I do know changing from Steam to something else will not break the core system, only the ingame menus, thus I am focusing on building the core until I can find an answer to change to.

Amazon and Google are options but I learned to use Steam in Blueprint and for now it ain't broke so I won't fix it yet. I will revisit breaking away from Steam over the course of the project but no promises.

Status
Not open for further replies.