Anrothan

Ark Liege
Ark Liege
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com
Didnt see a "Guild" section on the forums, but hopefully a mod can answer this:

Will there be guild areas? I loved teh concept of a Guild Hall as such from Guild Wars 1. Chose from a variety of castles from various places around the world of the game, start with just a random merc, but as you use in game currency, you can build this up with NPCs from all around the game. This will generally be used as a hub for all guild members to where they can login to. Also have the ability to invite friends to hang out with a timer or what not.

The NPCs inside the guild hall (Or lets call it Fleet Areas so I wont get sued by Arena Net lol) will range from regular merchants, to cosmetic dye sells, Appearance changers (Like that from FF XiV which you can change your hair, and facial tats by spending in game currency) Upgrade services, Costume providers (If you guys decide to sell fun cosmetics for the frames,) repair shops (again, if this is a mechanic in the game,) to a whole lot to populate these areas. It would be an amazing way as a money sink for us hardcore players who have trillions yet have no where to spend it.

Anyways... yea my 2 cents :)

Jul 26, 2016
It sounds like the individual bases areas for each group is essentially guilds.
You can't craft or refine mined ore without your base. It sounds like the planned bases are made so that it is difficult to run things solo. Which is good thing.

Thumping alone in firefall may not have been very good for the health of the game. I can't even count the number of times I got yelled at in firefall because I accidentally walked into a solo thumper.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2016
While one shouldn't be able to play the entire game solo(that defeats the purpose of an open world MMO wargame), you should have the option of doing so, while suboptimally. You shouldn't be blocked off from refining or thumping if you don't have a guild. Nor should anyone be punished for helping out with a THMPR they pass by(the nature of THMPRs means they'll gravitate towards bases, people are going to be wandering by them a lot). In an ideal world, you'd get a cut of the resources for helping a THMPR, but it wouldn't pull additional resources from the node(or if it did, have it do so at an extremely reduced rate). I'd like the same idea for groups-obviously not that 5 people pull the same amount of resources from a node as 1 person, but give them a reduced rate. I'd like to incentivize grouping up in this game, rather than incentivizing soloing.

If you want to solo for a challenge, that's great! Please do! But I would like for the game to reward those who help others, not those who shout at anyone who comes nearby to go away.

PlzBanMe

The furry mod
Staff member
Ember Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
I don't believe we have a name yet for guilds. How about some that fits the lifestyle of the Gatestriders?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The machine and rider connect.. the energy surges into the rider feeling the bike roar into life. Speeding across harsh terrains and encountering hostiles, the planet is never safe and the riders watch over those punishing those who stand in their way!

They are the Ghostriders of the Gatestriders :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Tada i wanted a bike group :D

Jul 27, 2016
Weird thought. Warpbands? Obviously yes, the Gatestriders travel through the gates as a group, but a Warpband seems to be a bit more fitting for a guild that would be travelling through these warp gates.

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Weird thought. Warpbands? Obviously yes, the Gatestriders travel through the gates as a group, but a Warpband seems to be a bit more fitting for a guild that would be travelling through these warp gates.
As far as i know, they no longer travel through gates since the discovery of Em-8er.

But I'm with warband. Since we're at war with an alien and we are mercenary like soldiers.

Jul 28, 2016
spiralofhope.com
A guild/clan idea is fine if ALL it gives is a tag and dedicated channel. Nothing else. No guild hall, no guild benefits, no guild unlocks, no guild achievements. No guild-guild competition. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Any actual mechanics surrounding guilds will cause tribalization of the player base. All players should be wholly behind one another, cooperating in every single last thing, without exception. The game should entirely be about the fight, with no hand-holding extra nonsense. The last thing I want to see is any development time or money spent on things that aren't fundamental gameplay.

A guild hall is the most retarded idea ever. It pulls players away from the world, making the public areas a ghost town. They are stupid. Games that do this have stupid developers who should feel bad.

The worst impression a new player can get is "wow, there are only like three players".

New players should see a huge number of others, with teams of players leaving or returning from strike missions.. and not have them disappear into some impossible space that nobody else can enter.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Though I don't stand quite as against some of what you said about the guild bonuses for Em-8ER I don't see any risk of what you fear. Firefall didn't have those dangers either.

One thing I do want to say i 100% agree with is the tribal part. I hated that setup when it came to games like Ark and such. You had zero chance to really survive and progress solo. Em-8ER will have much more solid ground to stand on with world contributions.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
A guild/clan idea is fine if ALL it gives is a tag and dedicated channel. Nothing else. .......... Any actual mechanics surrounding guilds will cause tribalization of the player base. All players should be wholly behind one another, cooperating in every single last thing, without exception.
This is a really interesting idea. Loose-knit player groups (those you regular with) and nothing more. It even suggests a name. Tribes. It does fit the entire theme as per the revealed lore.

Anrothan

Ark Liege
Ark Liege
Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
U.S.A
heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com
well.. I will be honest, Games with Guilds and halls have never made any main towns ghost towns. I understand you might dislike guilds, and I respect it. I do however, do not agree with
A guild hall is the most retarded idea ever. It pulls players away from the world, making the public areas a ghost town. They are stupid. Games that do this have stupid developers who should feel bad.
I hate solo games and I have quit many games because let us be honest, who plays MMOs if you solo :) lol. Still, a clan/guild/cabal/ect hall is not to make players go inside an empty space, but more for special events within a guild. I dont want to go to a populated area and have an event where non guild members can enjoy such festivities.

I get that you enjoy solo play the most and I applaud you for it. However, being a GM and clan leader for most of my gaming years, I have come to realize that guilds not only make gameplay fun, but makes socializing a lot better.

Plus, hardcore gamers love ePeen so clan achievements are nice :)

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
I hate solo games and I have quit many games because let us be honest, who plays MMOs if you solo :) lol.
Well, it turns out, lot's of people actually. Elder Scrolls Online has just added an entire playable area to satiate the solo players. And a game called Firefall was once a playground for solo and clan players alike. For the former, you could cruise around receiving wanton invites to all manner of experiences, or just wait for the mass spectacles like tornado's, incursions, and invasions. It was pretty cool.

I get that you enjoy solo play the most and I applaud you for it. However, being a GM and clan leader for most of my gaming years, I have come to realize that guilds not only make gameplay fun, but makes socializing a lot better.
As long as that socializing is limited to your predefined group. But that isn't really socializing, is it? Epic events involving game-play with the friends you have not yet met. That's where I hope this game goes. And that does not need halls.

BunnyHunny

Deepscanner
Aug 20, 2016
Throughout your entire post, you do not specify WHY and HOW you think, the bad stuff would happen.
You do not come up with any way to prevent any of the bad stuff from happening (except from "only do clan tag and chat").
You do not specify anything, really.

Your criticism is not justified.
It seems to me like your perspective is limited to the worst possible outcome, for the case that everything about guilds is made in the worst way possible.

I might be wrong, but to me, you sound like an anti social player.
Have you ever actually been a member of a decent clan/army/guild...?

A guild/clan idea is fine if ALL it gives is a tag and dedicated channel. Nothing else. No guild hall, no guild benefits, no guild unlocks, no guild achievements. No guild-guild competition. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Guild benefits PROMOTE playing together and joining guilds.
Guild unlocks PROMOTE playing together and joining guilds.
Guild achievements PROMOTE playing together and joining guilds.
Guild-guild competition PROMOTES playing together and joining guilds.

Now please explain to me:
How is any of that supposed to be bad, when everything is achieved by participating in something?

Any actual mechanics surrounding guilds will cause tribalization of the player base.
No.
How and why do you think that would happen?

And even if it would happen, tribalization would not necessarily be anything negative.
Why do you think that it would be a bad thing (it seems like you do)?

All players should be wholly behind one another, cooperating in every single last thing, without exception.
Being member of a clan does not cause people be uncooperative with others.
Being antisocial and/or egocentric does.

Do you think that being a member of a clan (with clan benefits existing) would discourage being cooperative? Why?

The game should entirely be about the fight, with no hand-holding extra nonsense. The last thing I want to see is any development time or money spent on things that aren't fundamental gameplay.
You are very vague in your expression, here.

You keep blurring the line between facts and your opinions.

If there is such a thing as a guild hall, but only for a very limited number of guilds, why would open cities be empty?
Also, if there are only some specific guild vendors and/or something like a guild bank in the hall, the people who can enter, would still run around in cities to access the normal vendors.
If there is such a thing as guild exclusive cosmetics (which look badass), people will run around and go afk in normal zones to show them off.

Why do you think that guild halls would definitely pull lots of players out of the "open" zone, making it look empty?

The worst impression a new player can get is "wow, there are only like three players".
You know what else would be a bad impression?
Logging into an online multiplayer PvE game, where there is no reason to actually play together in a coordinated way.
Instanced content would usually be able to do the job, but since there are not plans to implement anything like that into ember, it would make sense to create other reasons.

New players should see a huge number of others, with teams of players leaving or returning from strike missions.. and not have them disappear into some impossible space that nobody else can enter.
Already explained above.
Also, it would be cool, if new players would see a number of people who look pretty cool (i.e. guild exclusive cosmetics), because that gives them something to look forward to.

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I don't believe we have a name yet for guilds. How about some that fits the lifestyle of the Gatestriders?
I was hoping for either something military, like having Reapers be organized into Companies, or because of the close knit nature of Gatestriders perhaps call them Families (Companies would make more sense for people to leave/join groups).

Concerning the rest of this topic, I really think that Grummz needs to address his plans for the actual nature of the "wargame" aspect of Em-8er. Typically in MMO's It's everyone does what they want with their friends, whether grouped or solo. However in a RL war there is a clear and rigid hierarchy with orders coming down from above which soldiers have to follow or they are disciplined. Of course being a game nobody wants to be forced into performing a specific function (time, interests etc). However simply letting everyone do their own thing takes a lot of the sails out of a "wargame".

Will there be a frontline? If so then it won't matter whether you are in a group or not, your efforts are going to be somewhat directed by the needs of the game. Perhaps the game could have action slots, where people could "volunteer" for different activities (patrols, frontline combat, harvesting, mining etc). But those activities would be organized by the game into a full wargame strategy.

The alternative to this as I see it is figuring out whether the concept of anyone doing their own thing with no command structure really working for a realistic wargame scenario. Much of what makes a military strong is it's coordination and strategic abilities as well as disicpline and cohesiveness. Imagine if the <insert your country here> army simply allowed its soldiers to do whatever the heck they wanted anytime anywhere...

As for guild halls, I think that frontline outposts really fill the role of guildhalls. If Companies/Families/guilds/clans or whatever can be put in charge of building and maintaining an outpost in a particular sector then perhaps they might get some small bonuses (cheaper repairs etc) to using that particular base/outpost.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I'm digging your patrol approach. Would be very easy to have dynamic events on a patrol that could help a small group gain time with simple security to forestall a bigger attack. I would also think as a response to bigger patrols the attack could be provoked sooner and that patrol would be the ones using a talked about S.O.S. measure to alert the zone. (still envisioning three or four flares shooting through a twilight sky and dropping current combat for skim mode to aid the group)