Unofficial Vehicle Request Thread

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
There isn't one of these, so I thought I'd put up one of my own.

Since Firefall never quite had the array of vehicles (at least that I remember) I'll have to take ideas from other games. Mostly Halo and Planetside 2. I've had some ideas on how to modify some of the attributes of each of these, explained below.

To start off, Halo's Ghost:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/vehicles/ghost

a vehicle both high in mobility and with a decent amount of firepower, this vehicle is a perfect fit for scouting, beating a hasty retreat, or just using a bunch of them as an augment to a fleet of ground vehicles. If something absolutely had to be changed (other than the name and appearance) I'd say the weapon should have a higher round per second count, with each round doing less damage. That would separate them from tanks which have high-yield rounds, but much lower rate of fire. Also, allow strafing.

Next, PS2's Harasser:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Harasser

Having a 2-man crew for a single vehicle may seem like a waste of manpower. However, there are some advantages to this system, the main one being that the driver doesn't need to worry about ensuring his vehicle is aimed at his enemy while driving, allowing him to stay the course to wherever he is going. In addition, it's turret is capable of rotating on 2 axes, allowing the Harasser to do what the ghost can't: take out flyers. Also, being an all terrain vehicle, it can go places other vehicles may not be able to. Finally, the passenger slot allows an engineer easy access to the vehicles systems, allowing for easy in-field repair.

PS2's Lightning:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Lightning

while not the speed demon the Ghost is, the Lightning offers what the Ghost can't: protection. See, in the Ghost, the Omniframe is somewhat exposed, making it vulnerable to snipers or the occasional lucky shot. In the Lightning, no matter where you're hit, only the vehicle takes damage. In addition, only anti-armor attacks can even dent this marvelous machine. The only drawback is that once you run into anti-armor attacks, it doesn't take much to destroy it, and you in the process. Even if you manage to get out before its destruction, you're still a very big target, so don't get in a Lightning if you're entering dangerous territory on your own.

Halo's Wraith:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/vehicles/wraith

Twice the guns means twice the firepower, and that's ust the beginning with this marvel of technology. The driver gets his own gun, full of high-velocity pepper rounds that can pierce the armor of even the strongest kaiju. The other gunner gets slow but insanely powerful mortar rounds, just one of which can kill a tsihu on contact. Despite being a hovertank, its speed is not very fast, but it makes up for that with its impressive durability. In addition, it has the ability to charge up "backfires" that allow for short bursts of speed in case of emergency. If you're going into real battle, you're going to want these as your star horses.

PS2's Sunderer:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Sunderer

(this is an absolute must in Em8er)

While this may, at first glance, seem like just a transport vehicle, there's a lot more to the sunderer than meets the eye. First off, it's well-armored, making it ideal for getting troops past enemy lines. With seats for 12 omniframes, including one driver and 2 gunners, getting just a few of these inside an enemy base means dozens of infantry units in the heart of enemy territory. If that's not enough for you, it has room to store some (not all) of your spare frames, meaning faster access to up to (3?) extra frames per pilot. If a wraith is a must in a battle, the sunderer is easily thrice that.

Halo's Scarab:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/vehicles/scarab

When they first encountered the Category 4 Kaiju, the Gatesriders knew they needed a miracle. Fortunately, they found one. The scarab is more than just a transport vehicle, it's the answer to our prayers. Not only does it hold twice the omniframe pilots of a sunderer or galaxy, the main gun fires off a beam powerful enough to punch a hole through a category 3 kaiju with ease, as well as pack a serious punch to even a category 5 kaiju. Unfortunatly, the weapon takes an ungodly amount of time to charge up between uses. The good news is that it has more than enough guns for everybody on board. This vehicle moves VERY slowly, but has the most durability. However, given its high resource cost, and the fact that more than a few careless pilots have gotten too close to a cat 5, and ended up with their vehicle torn in half, this is usually used as a weapon of last resort.

Halo's Banshee:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/vehicles/banshee

a high velocity, one man powerhouse, the banshee has multiple uses. It can provide aerial surveillance with its stealth module, use its main gun to pepper category 0 kaiju, or its alt gun to significantly dent category 2 kaiju. Put a number of these in any fleet to complete it.

PS2's Liberator:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Liberator

While not as fast as the banshee, one wouldn't exactly call it slow moving. Even so, it has room for 3 gunners, including the pilot. These vehicles are best used in conjunction with the banshees for maximum aerial firepower.

PS2's Galaxy:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Galaxy

This transport aircraft was originally intended as a cargo ship. As such, it has great weight capacity and durability, but not much movement speed. With room for 11 gunners and a pilot, however, not many people care. This craft also has the ability to drop cargo/omniframes from great heights with little damage done to them, allowing the crew to simply drop out of the sky onto an intended destination. In addition, outfitted with a standard self destruct module, it makes the perfect kamikaze craft. In other words, put in 12 players, fly to a warzone, aim at a cat 3, and abandon ship and watch as the now abandoned plane knocks the cat 3 down.

Moon:

No link, but Em-8ER's moon has the unique property of geo-synchronous orbit, which the Gatesriders have used to their advantage by buiding an orbital strike weapon on it. Simply call it down wherever you are and watch as cat 1s and 2s are mowed down with ease. Given that it requires more time to charge even than the scarab's beam, its code is only given to those with the highest security clearance.

there you have it. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Well, to me MEKs feel like vehicles. You can skim, glide, fly with it. What is the point to use more "traditional" vehicles at all? Feels kinda redundant imo.

Jul 27, 2016
Well, to me MEKs feel like vehicles. You can skim, glide, fly with it. What is the point to use more "traditional" vehicles at all? Feels kinda redundant imo.
This. Back in FF, anything slow wasn't viable. Mobility is king here. A tank might be pretty, but it's going to get killed as soon as it fires one shot. As for an orbital cannon.. No. No. No.

Jul 27, 2016
Also keep in mind that a pilot in their Omniframe takes up far more space than a regular pilot. A sunderer might fit four people. Maybe. Or we could ditch the Omniframe when we're in vehicles but that leaves a lot of vulnerability when we exit them that I see as clunky and annoying.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
Also keep in mind that a pilot in their Omniframe takes up far more space than a regular pilot. A sunderer might fit four people. Maybe. Or we could ditch the Omniframe when we're in vehicles but that leaves a lot of vulnerability when we exit them that I see as clunky and annoying.
I can't see any reason to ditch your omniframe for a car. This looks like this to me. Omniframe is your transport here, that the one of the core ideas in the game.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
This. Back in FF, anything slow wasn't viable. Mobility is king here. A tank might be pretty, but it's going to get killed as soon as it fires one shot. As for an orbital cannon.. No. No. No.
the idea is that even a slow moving tank is faster than "walking" in your mech, as well as more durable. The light, single person vehicles offer firepower WHILE moving quickly, as opposed to skim mode where you don't have access to ANY weapons.

AND THERE AINT NOTHING WRONG WITH GIANT SPACE LASER FROM THE SKY!!!!

also...you're assuming that the vehicles will be the same size as the examples given. A sunderer could fit 12 mechs if it was big enough.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
you do if you want to use weapons.
Well, battle encounters will be all about speed and mobility,like AdmiralStryker said above. MEK is offering this. That's the key concept of the game. Piloting mechas, not planes or tanks. So if it serves the same purpose, why would anybody need vehicles?

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
If I remember correctly there are concepts about getting out of the omniframe and into other vehicles. Proficiency through time played skill increases was something mentioned I believe. World conflict with many options is the grand idea for down the road warfare. Keeping succeeding the milestones in this manner and we'll be there quicker than you think.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Well, battle encounters will be all about speed and mobility,like AdmiralStryker said above. MEK is offering this. That's the key concept of the game. Piloting mechas, not planes or tanks. So if it serves the same purpose, why would anybody need vehicles?
Omniframes offer firepower and durability, not necessarily speed and mobility. Certainly the heavy frames will be quite slow and bulky. Vehicles offer increased durability AND speed and mobility.

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Ah let me chime in here.
Omniframes offer firepower and durability, not necessarily speed and mobility. Certainly the heavy frames will be quite slow and bulky. Vehicles offer increased durability AND speed and mobility.
Omniframes do offer speed and mobility. Even the heavier frames will be moving you around the battlefield far better than you would be on foot. Partly because they are just bigger so they take bigger steps, but then factor in jets and such. Ya know, firefall like movement.

Not to say it would be on par with an actual air craft or something, but its definitely accurate to say that all omniframes increase mobility.

Oh I almost forgot this one.
vehicles will be added on at some point after launch. Each one will offer it's own tactical advantage in a way that Omniframes don't. I could not say in what way or how at this time, but there is intended to be a certain amount of focus on vehicles if and when we get the chance to include them.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Highly mobile VEHICLES. Period
I'll admit you got me there. Here's the thing though. Grummz has sait (at least once) that he wants Planetside 2 like vehicles in Em-8ER. That means he has the answer to that question. I'm just making a list of the vehicles OF that type that I want in the game.

It's an interesting point though. I'll be sure to ask him in the next chief chat.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
I'll admit you got me there. Here's the thing though. Grummz has sait (at least once) that he wants Planetside 2 like vehicles in Em-8ER. That means he has the answer to that question. I'm just making a list of the vehicles OF that type that I want in the game.

It's an interesting point though. I'll be sure to ask him in the next chief chat.
:)

Don't forget to post his answers here!

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I'd love to have a small version of highly maneuverable hover craft. A functionality like an orinthopter from Sci-Fi's Dune but with a sleeker stealth bomber design. Mostly rapid fire guns on nose or wings with maybe a one or two payload heavier bombs on the belly. Would be good for anti fliers and getting up in a massive kaiju's ear canal to scramble some brains. And who doesn't want to give some support against a horde of crawlers?