DevTracker

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
The irony of a Chinese company enforcing IP is hilarious.

But keep in mind I studied law, have a degree, and my specialty was intellectual property law. Names can be trademarked, but Thumper and Frame were never trademarked by Red 5. Copyright doesn't protect names, per se, but can be used to show that one book or movie is a derivative work of another.

Trademarks protect the source of origin of a product. The key on infringement is consumer confusion. If a consumer mistakes your products name for being made by someone else, then that is confusion of the source of the product. I don't think we have any issues there. Nobody is confusing Ember as being from Red 5 or The9.

Copyright protects the *expression* of an idea, but not the idea itself. If you wanted to write a book about hunting a giant white whale, you'd be fine and not infringing on Moby Dick so long as you did not use the same characters, plot, etc. But its the WHOLE of the work that is judged together, not individual elements in isolation. So Ember is quite different as a whole, and its "thumper" is vastly different from anything Firefall ever had.

There is a ton of confusion about IP law out there, but I'm pretty well versed in it. I think we'll be fine :)

Last edited:

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016
Oh yes...I remember that. While we can only afford to model one frame for a future funding goal, I'd like to be able to do more in the future.

Or....it could be one omniframe, but you could buy different looks for it in the future. Hmmm, what to do?

Xeevis

Max Kahuna
Max Kahuna
Forum Tech
Jul 26, 2016
www.emberbot.com
Update: Cloudflare service has been successfully deployed and https is from now on enforced, insecure http is now forcefully redirected to secure communication.

It appears authentication password for Ember forums is currently going through potentially insecure channels in plain text which can be stolen in transit.

Risks:

Mild annoyance: Member loses access to account until mods help him restore it.
Major threat: Member is using same password here as everywhere else so somebody snatching the password while in transit can cascade to loosing access to his email account and then other services (would also defeat email two-way authentication - not that it matters much at this point :cool:).

Solution:
  1. Obtain SSL certificate
    • Pros: Easy to maintain and setup
    • Cons: Costs money (quite enough with wildcard cert)
  2. Move to CloudFlare reverse proxy
    • Pros: FREE, Fast/Easy to setup, TLS communication, very little maintenance, DDOS protection, Content delivery network, saves bandwidth
    • Cons: None that I can think of (I'm using it myself).
  3. Implement Let's Encrypt certificates
    • Pros: FREE, automated, open, backed and sponsored by many major companies
    • Cons: Can be difficult to setup, certificate needs to be reissued every 3 months manually if automation isn't implemented.

Last edited: