Who cares about NMS not having true network gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember vaguely that No Man's Sky was going to have a multiplayer experience and there seemed to be a expectation from 'the community' that this was going to happen. There's even posts about how the boxes had the networking symbol stickered over to hide the network gameplay. There's varying degrees of network gameplay from the Journey type experience, shards and the BattleField 4 and in Elite having solo, co-op and open modes of the same game.

Is it really a big deal?

Did Hello Games get caught with their pants down?

Sud Monkey

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 28, 2016
From what I've read it is a network game but the universe is so big you'll probably never meet another player. Also, because the planets are full size planets, if 100 players landed on the same planet it could take years before they bumped into one-another.

However, what I find odd is that even if you did happen to occupy the same space as another player you probably wouldn't know because they're not highlighted in any way (after all it's most likely to be an AI ship). It's almost as if they are trying to discourage playing together. Whether there's a technical limitation to displaying thousand of ships in the same area, or an MMO game simply wasn't their goal, I have no idea. It does feel like a bit of a missed opportunity though.

Jul 27, 2016
Technically the only thing "multiplayer" about it is that people are uploading multiple planets and creatures.
I don't know how anyone could think you would play with your friends.

Jul 26, 2016
Yeah it's always been advertised as being a solo experience, and actually meeting another player would be "slim to none" or such a small percentage that you might as well not even bother.
that's the part that pissing off some of their backers. They shouldn't have said "slim to none" but instead of just said there is no chance.

if go on reddit some players have actually "met."
They landed on the same planet and walked directly on each other's footprints and didn't see each other.
They spend days trying.

I'm guessing Hello Games didn't want to say that there is no multiplayer at all because they didn't want to lose potential funding/sales. So they left it slightly vague.

Jul 27, 2016
they promised something like starbound but in 3d and with that nice casual amazing colored graphics.

about online: isn't awesome meet someone in such big universe and play together? and the rareness of that occasion making it only cooler! no why some players raging now :) (reminds me "fight back the planet" promises in FF )

but in the end - who cares. don't make preorders based on imaginary expectations and everything gonna be fine.
people still bying on this remind me those who open door to salesmen and getting amazing stuff for amazing price :D

p.s. imagine ammount of flame when same will happen with SC :p

Jul 27, 2016
if go on reddit some players have actually "met."
They landed on the same planet and walked directly on each other's footprints and didn't see each other.
They spend days trying.
That's because different servers (I think). It'd be like the same thing on firefall. you can be the same location on 2 different servers.

Last edited:
Well, so far (20hrs so far) I've seen other systems found by other players. So that passive network experience is similar to Journey but minus seeing actual players. Good to see other sci-fi references ingame as well.

There seems to be a lot of hate for it on youtube, I really think being vague made people fill in gaps and those assumptions went wildfire. Also, the demo scene they kept using was manufactured by their creative team (only 15 people btw) so they kept using that because I guess it's easier to digest. Watching other streamers saying how can animals live in such a toxic place, well, they're born there and know no difference :D

I'm guessing Hello Games didn't want to say that there is no multiplayer at all because they didn't want to lose potential funding/sales. So they left it slightly vague.
I guess being also an indi game dev they really don't have the polished marketing or public relation staff on their team to advise on what to say, and saying vague things kept people in suspense. I think that people held Hello Games as some kind of "this is how we can make a game right the first time perfectly to what everybody wants". Well, the reality is that a game in itself is made up of parts and stages, much like, oh, i'm going to drag that game in.. Star Citizen. The difference between SS & NMS is that NMS is one whole game unleashed at once. I can't see in the future with patches the universe being fixed but additional stories being sold as part of the main game within the NMS universe. With SS it's heres a expansion, and here's an expansion, and we've removed an expansion and put it in another expansion and as for the whole game, well.. SOON™.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.