Remote abilities and support units

Aug 14, 2016
This topic came up when I was talking about games like Hell Divers 2 and how some of the player's abilities actually come from your ship. And when your ship is far away the shots from it come in at an angle based on where the ship is in the sky. But if your ship right over head the shots from it come straight down. And it is small details like that in sci-fi games that makes things more fun. Because if the ability is coming of a place other than the player than how the ability moves and work matters. In some sci-fi games abilities are linked to things like drowns that follow the player around or NPCs at an base somewhere who can launch things to them.

So my question is, will their be support units in Em-8er and would there be abilities that come from places outside of the player?

Like for example, In FireFall the Recon class could all down an orbital strike. Even though I loved the ability it didn't really make much sense when I used places like caves and underground bases. Because how did the shots get to the area without blasting a whole through everything above it? A simple fix would be to just say that ship is firing into a small warp gate the player makes with they mark a target. But this never happened.

After all, even in some of the most silly sci-fi games there is still some internal logic to everything to make sure that the world feels right. And when things break the laws of nature it is has to be shown or explained why it can happen in the first place. Otherwise it is something that is always going to take players who pay attention to such things (and in sci-fi lovers that is most of us) out of the moment. Because when it comes to emergent game play even small details matter. Given that a large number of sci-fi fans are also in real world science and just might happen know a bit more about things like the laws of physics and thermodynamics than the average person.

Because even through first go-to builds in any game are my assassin builds and my sniper builds. The other builds that I love to do is puppet master and army summoner builders. Where my character doesn't do much of anything but stands around an control a lot of smaller units at once. In more magic based games it my character controlling a lot of golems, puppets, and/or dolls at once. In sci-games it is my character controlling a small army of robots and swarm drones. And power of these characters is mostly is how well can they can multiple different units at once. In other words, the better you are as team leader or manager the better you are at this class of character. So having abilities that come from the units they control rather than the player character themselves makes both more realistic and can be used more tactically. Like using your fast moving scout bots draw agro on a large tanklike monster so it doesn't notice your heavy attack bots coming up behind it to attack it's soft underbelly.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
With the remote support focus:

- Are there remote vehicles to put in units to take them into territories for quicker deployment for defense/attack etc

- What types of drones or drone modes can there be such as
repair to fix other units or drones, attack to provide suppression fire, surveillance to highlight targets or changes around perimeter, defense guard main points of access acts as an alarm too, delivery to be able to deliver small items or even replacement unit limb parts to accelerate units to get back into action.

- The bot units we use would they improve their efficiency depending on the task taken. Such as an assault bot shooting swarms many times could rank up with the experience of tackling that particular opponent etc

I was reminded by the jump jet infantry in c&c tiberium sun, would create a team of them and keep attacking infantry that came near the base then get them inside apc to my second apc with a group of medics to heal up the jump jet infantry.

If things got crazy i could get them all in the apc to the nearest repair vehicle after taking over nods factory.
Also the stealth tanks kept a big bunch under a stealth generator hehe

Aug 14, 2016
When comes to things like puppet master classes, they are the ones that can make 3ed person action shooter game feel like a 3ed person RTS. And because in order to play well with classes like that it can some times feels like you are playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. But that is also part of the fun. Winning not because you are the most powerful or the fastest nor the most tanky, but because you was able to out smart enemies. A win is a win. Even if you won by tricking the enemy into running head first into a big rock before falling off a cliff as you fire long range missiles at them from an outpost camp 27 miles away. Although personally one of my favorite tactics is to draw agro on myself and as the enemy is focused on me my long ranged units snipe them from 2 different directions at once. Never trust a puppet master character who knowingly and willing stands out in the open in the middle of a fight.

Anyway, given that this is a sci-fi game having support units and external weapons platforms that we can use and call on just makes sense. Who says that my dropship jet flies over a place and leaves me there alone? Why can't it just keep flying around the around or hanging out in a low geosynchronous orbit watching over me ready to give me back up with long ranged weapons or acting as a relay for things like drones. Or even helping to paint targets for things like ICBMs and such. My support team doesn't have be anywhere near me and can fire things from the other side of the world to hit a target that I point out to them.

So besides the normal weapons we see in games like guns and stuff. I would like to see options for things like calling in artillery strikes, calling down orbital strikes, calling in tactical nukes from a ship that is over the horizon, having a number of helper bots that follow you around and you can command 2 of them to go on top of that hill over there while the rest lure the enemy into a valley before trigging a landslide, or an small army of swarm drones who are weak alone but as team are mighty. You get the idea.

After all, some times the most powerful person in a room of people is not the over powered warriors and world leaders in the world. But small baby in the room who will all be willing to fight for and protect with their lives. So who holds the real power? lol

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
small baby in the room who will all be willing to fight for and protect with their lives. So who holds the real power? lol
That is true, when the babies battle cry is heard support rushes very fast i have seen this at my work.

eiui6896798otuihtfijfy09ihfhhudh poem

Rejoice the babies they come and play
Do not let them go too far could be dismay

The babies curious and crawl into danger
Support team react with elite rangers

As explosions and sparks fly 360 degrees
There lurks a sneaky kaiju coming out of the sea

Babies coo and waa with much wonder
Hundreds of shadow figures beginning to cluster

The babies points to the cloudy skies
Signal made a sudden beam hits and the turds are fried

1710507945410.jpeg
Very good for when your partner is tired, Although would be good with some lights for night time and a few zappers to keep pesky bugs away!

Aug 14, 2016
Funny thing about this is that it reminded me of the logic some sci-fi as to why some of the A.I. are the way that they are. Because of the close relationship Humans have in those stories and games in order to help Humans grow closer to the A.I.s they are often given child-like personalities or a warm motherly personality. As these two personality types are the ones people can quickly grow bonds with along with feelings of mutual respect and protection. Having a kind fatherly type personality works too, but those can often be hit or miss based on the standards different cultures have for men. So unless it is tuned the right way kind fatherly personality of the A.I. can come off as confusing to say the lest to people who are unfamiliar with the culture the A.I. comes from.

Often times the Humans and A.I.s in these stories and games are one or two steps down from the singularity where Humans and A.I. grow so class together that they can merge together and become a new sympatric species. In some stories and games this also about the time where things like technomancers and machine gods and other part human part A.i. god-like beings come into reality.

I never thought of this. But what level if the A.I. in the world of Em-8er? Are they close to the singularity or far away from it?

Because if they are close to the singularity that gives us way more options in term of remote abilities and weapons. Like how in some stories and games nanobots are everywhere. They are in the air, the water, the ground, and inside almost every living being just do to their nature. And this where some of the abilities can start to look like magic for the people who are unaware of the nanobots and don't have a good understanding of how the laws of physics nor technology works. Because to them it just seems like that person or animal can just make fire balls appear out of thin air to launch them at enemies. Not knowing that all they are doing is telling the nanobots that float around in the air to make a lot of heat with the chemical reactions within the air to make fireball and move it to that spot.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
A.I.s they are often given child-like personalities or a warm motherly personality. As these two personality types are the ones people can quickly grow bonds with along with feelings of mutual respect and protection. Having a kind fatherly type personality works too, but those can often be hit or miss based on the standards different cultures have for men.
That's an interesting one i like to imagine this is what they could be like:

The child personality is great to introduce to players these would be how the feeling of owning your first pet/child to something fragile in its development as it could ask questions or be quite mischievous/playful. Either way there will be challenges to the child personality type and a great sense of satisfaction as it develops and begins to appreciate why the owner does or says something such as preservation of life to decision of morality etc. The child personality likes to roll on the floor has it gone mad, is it going to break dance, cannot be sure but this is what it does when you don't do anything for a while hmm

The mother personality would be more of the guidance and gentle ways. Reminds a few times not to do something if you have done something too often that is not good in her books.
Praises you with a good message and even ask you to check your supplies before your next journey.
Mother personality can sometimes be overbearing although is a caring presence and wants the very best for the owner. Mother personality likes to victory dance this may be embarrassing to some but mother personality does have an excuse to do so.

The Father personality can be direct sometimes the truth hurts, although makes sure to encourage and support you well. Father personality tells odd jokes some not very funny and silly but father personality is a good support in the worst of times. The father personality can be stubborn and have a set ways although if not right the father personality will admit eventually and rubs an imaginary holographic beard with wisdom.
Father personality head-bangs very well when mission complete music plays likes this music very much for some reason.

I wonder if the personalities are interchangeable depending on the setting and chosen scenario.
Sometimes the child personality would be useful for investigating even though you may be led on a goose chase.

Mother and father personality have different approaches as an example mother personality would emphasis more on the details in the investigation while the father figure would encourage narrowing the suspect pool etc

Combining the various personality could see different view points and this may develop the bond of child, father and mother personality relation as they form a connection as a family... your family!

No family is perfect even with the odd disagreement here and there, the things in common is they want the same outcome and they have a connection with you and they are unconditionally pleased when you have success.

Family is important without family your a lone pilot with no support not that this replaces true family you could say this A.I family is an extension of the family you have or had.