Physics based melee

Aug 14, 2016
Yea, my memory might be getting a little mixed up. Because I remember there being 3 different core / chest body parts in the early games. There was OB core that was used for Over Boost, the OW core that had little flying offensives turrets that would pop up out of the shoulder or back, and the tank core because it was just a tank turret used as chest area of the AC and the cannon on the chest was defensive as it would auto fire on missiles and rockets that got into range of you. So besides the 3 mass classes of chest parts there was also 3 different sub-classes within them based around speed (OB cores), based around attack power (OW cores), and based around defense and anti-missile systems (tank cores). Because of my personality type I always used the OW cores unless I was doing a timed mission or playing a missile carnival style game mode.

For the people who never played Armored Core games or never heard of the term missile carnival before. A missile carnival is when a missile boat style of mech or ship fires off all their missiles and rockets all at once as fast as possible. In a missile carnival game mode the idea is that one player has to try and survive as long as possible within the arena while all the other players fire missiles and rockets at them. You can't attack the other players firing the missiles at you. Meaning there are only 2 real ways to win. You can ether dodge and out run everything that is fired at you or make a mech with so much armor and defense that you can take having 100+ missiles fired at you an still survive.

This is an old example of a missile carnival game mode in Armored Core games.

Aug 14, 2016
Just in case anyone wants to know why we call such things missile carnival or missile circus it got its name from the artiest to worked on Gundam and Macross who made and popularized the missile swarm scenes in those shows. More so in the Macross shows where they give him the freedom to go wild with this ideas of missile combat with between ships and mecha. He is Ichirō itano man who made the Ichirō circus, which is another name that this troop goes my when you are talking about tv shows and movies. If you want to know a bit more about him. Here are some videos.

P.s.
And yes, I've made a few missile carnival builds in games before. And not all of them was even mecha or ships or even in sci-fi games. As I could also make missile carnival builds in game that let me rapid fire homing magic balls or beams. Normally I play as assassins, snipers, and spies in games. But every now and again like to just go wild and see how many attacks I can fire off at once. And sometimes I'm not happy until the whole screen is just nothing but explosions and death around me. lol

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
sometimes I'm not happy until the whole screen is just nothing but explosions and death around me. lol
I won't lie it does looks a lot of fun and even artistic, although the overwhelming chaos on the screen can be too much for me sometimes.

Sure there will be ways to tone much things with the ingame settings i'd imagine etc

That reminds me when playing a stealth frame in warframe and using an ability silence, the way that it dampens the sound around is really nice while the chaos is going around.

I am much more able to focus on priority targets or concentrate on hacking or stealing loot :D
While everyone goes at Immense speed and doing their magic.

Sounds particularly interest me, such as how the tsihu alert the others and what their weapons would sound like compared to Reapers!

Do they even have a version of missile swarm of their own launching insects from biological pods that are hidden sort of similar to a wasps nests in corners or placed as a trigger to alert tsihu patrol of a pod being alerted ?

Tragedy

ARES Operator
Jul 26, 2016
California, America
Yea, my memory might be getting a little mixed up. Because I remember there being 3 different core / chest body parts in the early games. There was OB core that was used for Over Boost, the OW core that had little flying offensives turrets that would pop up out of the shoulder or back, and the tank core because it was just a tank turret used as chest area of the AC and the cannon on the chest was defensive as it would auto fire on missiles and rockets that got into range of you. So besides the 3 mass classes of chest parts there was also 3 different sub-classes within them based around speed (OB cores), based around attack power (OW cores), and based around defense and anti-missile systems (tank cores). Because of my personality type I always used the OW cores unless I was doing a timed mission or playing a missile carnival style game mode.
Hmm, my memory of the turret chests is a bit fuzzy, but yeah those were probably things in Nexus era. The Nexus-Last Raven era of games are definitely my least played, as they are absolutely the most unforgiving entries in the series.

I think the core differences are a good feature though, you can choose between OB and some other specialty feature. Not an obvious choice either, since OB isn't as OP in the original titles as it is in the next-gen titles.

This is an old example of a missile carnival game mode in Armored Core games.
Oh Armored Core For Answer, you were a great mech game, and a terrible Armored Core game. You set a precedent in Armored Core that probably should have never been established. Really should've been its own thing like Chrome Hounds or Metal Wolf.

Aug 14, 2016
I won't lie it does looks a lot of fun and even artistic, although the overwhelming chaos on the screen can be too much for me sometimes.

Sure there will be ways to tone much things with the ingame settings i'd imagine etc

That reminds me when playing a stealth frame in warframe and using an ability silence, the way that it dampens the sound around is really nice while the chaos is going around.

I am much more able to focus on priority targets or concentrate on hacking or stealing loot :D
While everyone goes at Immense speed and doing their magic.

Sounds particularly interest me, such as how the tsihu alert the others and what their weapons would sound like compared to Reapers!

Do they even have a version of missile swarm of their own launching insects from biological pods that are hidden sort of similar to a wasps nests in corners or placed as a trigger to alert tsihu patrol of a pod being alerted ?
I don't know why what you said reminding me of things like mouth brooding in things like fish and frogs but it did. And now I can picture a reverse mouth brooding, where rather than the parents hiding their kids in their mouth for safety they are doing to as part of a hunting tactic. As the parents would be larger and faster than the babies, but it is easy to dodge one enemy, until they get close enough and open their mouth to let the babies attack the target. Even if the babies are not powerful enough to take down the target they might make an opening large enough for the parent get in the killing attack.

So what if something like little ankle bitters had like a brood mother that would carry them around everywhere until they are large enough and skilled enough to hunt on their own? But until then she could use the babies part of a swarm tactic, even if the all the babies do make confusion for the target, they moment the target looks away to deal with the babies is the moment she attacks. lol

For the people who don't know what types of fish I'm talking about that give me this idea.

Remember the things some real life things do is often times a lot odder than the things people can think up in games and movies on their own. And this is because evolution doesn't care about what makes sense. Evolution cares about what works in terms of survival.

Hmm, my memory of the turret chests is a bit fuzzy, but yeah those were probably things in Nexus era. The Nexus-Last Raven era of games are definitely my least played, as they are absolutely the most unforgiving entries in the series.

I think the core differences are a good feature though, you can choose between OB and some other specialty feature. Not an obvious choice either, since OB isn't as OP in the original titles as it is in the next-gen titles.

Oh Armored Core For Answer, you were a great mech game, and a terrible Armored Core game. You set a precedent in Armored Core that probably should have never been established. Really should've been its own thing like Chrome Hounds or Metal Wolf.
I hope that in Em-8er we get options for parts and stuff outside of mass classes. Because as some of you know about me, I'm the guy who focuses on attack power, movement, and stealth. I could care less about things like armor because if I'm playing the right way I'm ether never seen by the enemy because I kill them before they can react to me or I'm never hit by the enemy because my movement is high I can dodge and outrun almost any attack.

This is a tip for the people who never played a missile carnival game mode before or just never PVPed a person who spams homing missiles. The key is to never move in the same direction nor at the same speed for to long. You always want the force the targeting system on the missiles to make guesses about where you are going. And if possible always make turns at angles smaller than what the missile can make. This way even if the missile doesn't lose track of you, it'll still take it some time try and turn around to follow you. This is also why sometimes it is better to charge towards the missiles then change direction at the last moment to make them lose their lock on you or to at least give you some breathing room for your next move. The only time you should be moving in a straight line away from the missiles is when you know for a fast that your top speed is faster than the missiles and you'll get out of range of their lock or they'll run out of fuel or time out because they can get to you. Just a tip for person who makes it a habit of dodging homing attacks, because I hate blocking.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Remember the things some real life things do is often times a lot odder than the things people can think up
Those sneaky catfish :O

Another thing that got me thinking after seeing this clever way in survival is, would the others have their own way of doing things such as:

- Climbing to higher points on trees, mountains, going inside buildings objects etc
- Using camouflage to blend with the surrounding
- Retreat, regroup and flank to distraction with a few for the others to surround etc
- Carrying not just in the mouth could be in a pouch or on their back etc
- Perhaps becoming as one where they combine to form one deadlier foe instead of one weak opponent
- Burrowing underground to appear somewhere else for a sneak attack to a way to escape.
- There was also an opponent in Copacabana in firefall that would spew ink what an annoying opponent.
Imagine that but with flying creatures plopping things in co-ordination with this, perhaps opponents working together another survival method.

Aug 14, 2016
Fun fact the why that some swarms know to attack and focus on one target is by the use of pheromones. Things like ants, bees, and mosquitos are known for marking targets with a smell that makes others of their kind attack. And before some of you point out that mosquitos don't really do these, you might want to look into how things like malaria spreads and know that some of those parasites that used mosquitos as host also change how the people they infect smell to make them more likely to be bitten by other mosquitos to keep their life cycle going. It is one of those reasons who some people tend to be bitten by mosquitos over others even in a crowd of people.

But there is also the idea of mind control with some of the animals and monsters. Where they themselves don't really care about humans, but that parasite within them makes them want to attack humans against their will. That is if they are still alive to start with. Because in real life zombies do exist as there are a number of different parasites that can control a died body overriding the nerves of thing they are inside of. Eating the brain and taking over the body is not that uncommon of a tactic for some of these types of parasites. So what is worse than being forced to fight giant monsters? Because forced to fight giant zombie monsters because the parasite doesn't care of they host body is destroyed as long as it can complete the life cycle.

For example, things like the spinochordodes tellinii.

Trust me, there is no horror book or movie that is made that can scarier when that mother nature has already made in real life. No matter of the humans are aware of it or not.

Aug 14, 2016
One of the things I was thinking about, being both a melee main and a sniper main in most games, is how much control could we have on enemy movements? Sure it is one thing to ram into enemies in games to do some damage, but it is something else to ram into them and actually push them backwards or off to the side. Or even pick them up and throw them. And this matters in range combat too just as much as in melee combat because of things like high impact rounds. A lot of high impact range weapons and ammo are often designed to push things backwards and/or knock them down rather than punching through them. This great in cases of targeting living things as you can injure them and knock them of balance without going through their body. Making it less likely that they would bleed out from the hit while also making them fall over and/or going unconscious going by where you hit them. Mind you that you high impact rounds can still easily kill if used the right or wrong way going by how you view things. And when fighting heavily armored targets high impact rounds are also useful because they don't need to break the armor of the target, but just apply enough force make the move the target in a way that it doesn't want to move or even stop a moving target from moving, even if it is only by a small amount.

For example when fighting armored vehicles like cars or ships. You don't have to break the armor of the vehicle to win the fight if you can push it into a place where it can't fight back and/or run away. Like pushing an armored car into a deep ditch on the side of the road or into a tree or wall. And for ships you can throw off their aim by having each hit push and move them in ways they can't count for. Or push them into a trap like sea mines or run aground in shallow waters. There is also the option of trying to make the ship capsize if you hit it in just the right way at the right time.

What got me thinking about this was someone reminding me of in tactical games I favored the classes who could control enemy movements. And they pointed how in MMO Wakfu I mained as an Eliotrope, a race of beings who can create portals to teleport themselves and other objects around. And besides my tactic of teleporting ranged attacked from my friends to the enemy's blind spots. I also had this habit teleporting enemies into traps or boxing them in with portals. So I was just thinking what are some ways get could push and pull enemies around in Em-8er? Both in melee and in range.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
was just thinking what are some ways get could push and pull enemies around in Em-8er? Both in melee and in range.
What if there was an ability to hold a mech in place and when an opponent hits you can rock back and forth which absorbs some dmg. If timed right activate multiple nano hooks on the surface that latch on the target as the pendulum effect continues back which then pulls, you can then release the target to be thrown over with enough force generated from the absorbed hits.

Just like a bop bag :D
1693174625026.gif

Aug 14, 2016
What if there was an ability to hold a mech in place and when an opponent hits you can rock back and forth which absorbs some dmg. If timed right activate multiple nano hooks on the surface that latch on the target as the pendulum effect continues back which then pulls, you can then release the target to be thrown over with enough force generated from the absorbed hits.

Just like a bop bag :D
View attachment 5888
I have no idea why what you said made me think of this as soon as I read it. lol