Pets in mecha

Pets who wear pilot mecha

• I don't care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Necryel

Jul 30, 2016
Why do pets even exist in MMO's? Fake virtual companionship? For companies to sell more items?
Typically, it's for status and for companies to sell more items. It's an easy form of monetization that can go beyond just the in-game pet itself but also really popular pets can even be marketed as collectiable real world items: such as figurines, key chains, and plushies. Remember, it's entirely in the name, VANITY Pets. they apeal to our vanity to say we have something someone else doesn't.

I agree, ti shouldn't work nearly as well as it does, but people are vain, especially gamers, we're practically peacocks without feathers, so we compensate with shiny armors and limited edition skins or mounts, and vanity pets all in the name of having the largest tail, with the most numerous and beautiful feathers. Gaming companies would be absolute fools not to take advantage of our vanity as part of a monetization scheme. If it wasn't pets, it would vehicles skins, weapon skins, armor skins, flashy new ability animations and effects, unique mounts, and of course all those cosmetics we love. Pets are just one more series of feathers we can all scramble to add to our tails to show off with.

Aug 14, 2016
Why do pets even exist in MMO's? Fake virtual companionship? For companies to sell more items?
Typically, it's for status and for companies to sell more items. It's an easy form of monetization that can go beyond just the in-game pet itself but also really popular pets can even be marketed as collectiable real world items: such as figurines, key chains, and plushies. Remember, it's entirely in the name, VANITY Pets. they apeal to our vanity to say we have something someone else doesn't.

I agree, ti shouldn't work nearly as well as it does, but people are vain, especially gamers, we're practically peacocks without feathers, so we compensate with shiny armors and limited edition skins or mounts, and vanity pets all in the name of having the largest tail, with the most numerous and beautiful feathers. Gaming companies would be absolute fools not to take advantage of our vanity as part of a monetization scheme. If it wasn't pets, it would vehicles skins, weapon skins, armor skins, flashy new ability animations and effects, unique mounts, and of course all those cosmetics we love. Pets are just one more series of feathers we can all scramble to add to our tails to show off with.
Also, there are pet classes in many games. This appeal to the both the tactically minded people who view themselves as tacticians and generals as well as to people who like to sit back and watch others fight for them. Even FireFall has a pet class in the form of the Engineers where the turrets and other deployables could be viewed as a type of combat pet.

And while it is true that vanity pet appeal to some people because they a kind of status symbols or kinda of collectible (get'a catch them all). Pets that are useful to players (like resource and item drop gathering pets) fulfill the idea of being the leader of a group who obeys you without question. And as many people know even if you have a great plan for how clear dungeon, map, boss other players in you team don't always do what you ask them even if are right in how you should go about things.

Also some people who have pets in real life also tend to enjoy it when they can get a pet in a game that reminds of their own pet. And it also allows people who can't have pets in real life for a number of reasons (example being some housing units don't allow things like pets) to at least pretend to have a pet of their own. This even more true if you can name the pets yourself and customize how they look or even act (in some games players can make scripts for pets how will behave both in and out of combat).

There are a lot of reasons for pets to exist in games going by what kind of pet system a game has they fulfill different psychological needs for different people.

Last edited:

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
The problem with pets that do things, outside of pets designed for a specific class as the extension of the functions of the class, is that they become required in the eyes of the playerbase.

If pets are introduced that pick up items or resources for the player they will be seen as required, otherwise you are wasting the groups time running around to grab things. These ones are especially predatory on players, the convenience they grant is so amazing that people become incapable of playing without them. Typically leading to predatory monetization methods to abuse this.

If pets are introduced that apply a buff to the player then they will be seen as required. Otherwise you are making the run go slower, you are not outputting optimum DPS, and will be replaced with someone who is optimally configured.

If pets are introduced that assist in combat they will be seen as required. Otherwise you are making the run go slower, you are not outputting optimum DPS, and will be replaced with someone who is optimally configured.

There is a reason why it is said that if there was a pet that increased dps by 1, even if it was just a blank floating grey cube, every hardcore raider in every MMO would be running it.

If those pets are only available via spending real money and not able to be obtained in game then it is P2W.

In general only 2 kinds of non-class pets are considered "fine" by most gamers:

Pets that are only for vanity.
Pets that are for vanity and pet specific minigames that otherwise do not affect actual gameplay.

Outside of social areas pets honestly do not make sense in a mecha-esque game like ember.

Aug 14, 2016
The problem with pets that do things, outside of pets designed for a specific class as the extension of the functions of the class, is that they become required in the eyes of the playerbase.

If pets are introduced that pick up items or resources for the player they will be seen as required, otherwise you are wasting the groups time running around to grab things. These ones are especially predatory on players, the convenience they grant is so amazing that people become incapable of playing without them. Typically leading to predatory monetization methods to abuse this.

If pets are introduced that apply a buff to the player then they will be seen as required. Otherwise you are making the run go slower, you are not outputting optimum DPS, and will be replaced with someone who is optimally configured.

If pets are introduced that assist in combat they will be seen as required. Otherwise you are making the run go slower, you are not outputting optimum DPS, and will be replaced with someone who is optimally configured.

There is a reason why it is said that if there was a pet that increased dps by 1, even if it was just a blank floating grey cube, every hardcore raider in every MMO would be running it.

If those pets are only available via spending real money and not able to be obtained in game then it is P2W.

In general only 2 kinds of non-class pets are considered "fine" by most gamers:

Pets that are only for vanity.
Pets that are for vanity and pet specific minigames that otherwise do not affect actual gameplay.

Outside of social areas pets honestly do not make sense in a mecha-esque game like ember.
You have some points. But a lot of that stuff can be in number of ways.
1) Make pets free to all players in-game with basic pets being in an NPC pet shop and others at things quest rewards.
2) Pets don't effect the stats of the player. Pets are viewed in the same way as alt character on the same account that you can summon. In effect you are playing 2 different characters as once.
3) You can limit the use of non-class specific pets to only be used in non-important things. For example, in some games you can't use pets or mounts in things like dungeons or boss fights unless it is a class pet.
4) Don't make pets that can do things better than players. For example, you can pets that gather things for you, but they do so in a way that is less effective and/or slower than the player. Meaning it would be easier and faster to do it yourself than to rely on the pet to do it for you.

There are more ways to handle it. But you get the idea.

Jul 26, 2016
Check out a game called Trove.
75% Collectible Pets/Mounts
25% Game play.

WoW Pet Battles have gotten more attention than I have ever expected them to see. They are still a good way to make some extra gold too. Plus, pet classes have their odd appeal, it is a different situation being not entirely in control of all actions, but commanding actions through something else.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
You have some points. But a lot of that stuff can be in number of ways.
1) Make pets free to all players in-game with basic pets being in an NPC pet shop and others at things quest rewards.
2) Pets don't effect the stats of the player. Pets are viewed in the same way as alt character on the same account that you can summon. In effect you are playing 2 different characters as once.
3) You can limit the use of non-class specific pets to only be used in non-important things. For example, in some games you can't use pets or mounts in things like dungeons or boss fights unless it is a class pet.
4) Don't make pets that can do things better than players. For example, you can pets that gather things for you, but they do so in a way that is less effective and/or slower than the player. Meaning it would be easier and faster to do it yourself than to rely on the pet to do it for you.

There are more ways to handle it. But you get the idea.
1) Won't change the required-ness of pets, simply eliminate P2W comments.
2) Mabinogi did this, turning pets into storage options and a combat unit you could micro manage. Some annoying bosses have been killed by players using a large number of pets in a rotation, having them run in to smash the target, then desummoning the pet so it drops aggro while the next pet runs in to prevent any health reset. Allowing players to safely, without any threat, kill the boss. The storage was also useful since half of the bank required a paid subscription to have access to. This made horses the best investment for your account. Extra bonus: all characters had access to the pet summons so you could trade between characters via pets.
3) But this game will not be focused on things like instanced boss fights or dungeons. This effectively means that no non-class pet can have any effect in order to be to be fair and prevent them from being required.
4) If a pet can pick up items or gather for the player it is due to that ability they will inherently be required. Why? Because the pet will be doing those things while the player is otherwise occupied by combat.

Unless you want the pet to be absolutely required it can only be for vanity.

Aug 14, 2016
1) Won't change the required-ness of pets, simply eliminate P2W comments.
2) Mabinogi did this, turning pets into storage options and a combat unit you could micro manage. Some annoying bosses have been killed by players using a large number of pets in a rotation, having them run in to smash the target, then desummoning the pet so it drops aggro while the next pet runs in to prevent any health reset. Allowing players to safely, without any threat, kill the boss. The storage was also useful since half of the bank required a paid subscription to have access to. This made horses the best investment for your account. Extra bonus: all characters had access to the pet summons so you could trade between characters via pets.
3) But this game will not be focused on things like instanced boss fights or dungeons. This effectively means that no non-class pet can have any effect in order to be to be fair and prevent them from being required.
4) If a pet can pick up items or gather for the player it is due to that ability they will inherently be required. Why? Because the pet will be doing those things while the player is otherwise occupied by combat.

Unless you want the pet to be absolutely required it can only be for vanity.
I'm just trying to point out there are ways to do different pet systems rights without making them OP or a mandatory required it all goes by what kind of pet system has and what the end goal is for both the game and players. Just like every other system in games they all have add something to the game in a healthy way otherwise it becomes pointless or worse broken.

And personally, as long as pets are free and open to all players I don't see a problem. Even pets that help you in combat, as long as they are in balance with rest of the combat system of the game it is not a problem. To me, it just like having a living sword or something, be it gear that can moving around on it is own and talk back to me but still gear. People can say they are a mandatory requirement for something all that want, but unless the game itself says you need this pet with you to get into this area and kill this boss than it is just option and not fact. If you can do something without the need of nor use of something then that thing is not a mandatory requirement. And I view it as no different than saying it is a mandatory requirement to have this weapon or this armor if you want to join us. To which many good players ignore because they can prove you can do just fine without those false mandatory requirements some people place on their team/guild building.

You can look at games like Warframe. There are pets in that game but people don't say pets are a mandatory requirement in it nor do people try to exclude you from teams just because you don't have one. In fact, most people would laugh at the idea of someon even trying to do that in the game. And these pets do help the player fight and other stuff. So in the end, it all comes down to player base itself and how they view things.

Necryel

Jul 30, 2016
We have already discussed combat pets in prior posts, so rehashing them after discussing vanity pets is not only redundant, but also misleading. Again if pets are to have any kind of combat role, it needs first to be decided wether on not they will be limited to specific class(es), or available to all. Also, lets dispense with the myth that combat pets don't add to a character's stats. They do, they add to the overall damage capabilities of their owner, they also in most cases, act as a shield drawing aggro, enemy fire, and thus damage away from the player, effectively increasing their HP, and in some case certain pets may have specialize abilities or unique on hit effects effectively adding to the number of abilties/on-hit effectss of the player. So the very idea that combat pets don't add to a player's stat is demonstrably false. It just isn't always a direct stat increase, but they always represent a significant threat and stat increase unless of course they are poorly designed as we've seen with Firefall's neutering of bastions and Engineers.

If combat pets are to be available to all players, then they need to be simple and straight forward so as not be of more advantage to one "class" over others. If you are looking for a more complex combat pet system, then you start making them a large part of a character build and that generally means it's much better to limit combat pets to specific "class" or only a small few classes.

Aug 14, 2016
We have already discussed combat pets in prior posts, so rehashing them after discussing vanity pets is not only redundant, but also misleading. Again if pets are to have any kind of combat role, it needs first to be decided wether on not they will be limited to specific class(es), or available to all. Also, lets dispense with the myth that combat pets don't add to a character's stats. They do, they add to the overall damage capabilities of their owner, they also in most cases, act as a shield drawing aggro, enemy fire, and thus damage away from the player, effectively increasing their HP, and in some case certain pets may have specialize abilities or unique on hit effects effectively adding to the number of abilties/on-hit effectss of the player. So the very idea that combat pets don't add to a player's stat is demonstrably false. It just isn't always a direct stat increase, but they always represent a significant threat and stat increase unless of course they are poorly designed as we've seen with Firefall's neutering of bastions and Engineers.

If combat pets are to be available to all players, then they need to be simple and straight forward so as not be of more advantage to one "class" over others. If you are looking for a more complex combat pet system, then you start making them a large part of a character build and that generally means it's much better to limit combat pets to specific "class" or only a small few classes.
I agree. But I'm starting to think we are having like 3 different debates at once in this thread. Having pet classes or no pet classes, vanity pets or working pets, balancing pet classes with no-pet classes who a pet. I think there might bet few other debates going on in this thread that I might not be able to see at the moment. I also feel a lot of people are really in agreement with each other but only seem to look they are in disagreement because of the different debates they are in. And what is balanced in one system would be imbalanced and broken in another system.

Personally, I just want a pet that is useful that I can name and dress up how I like (like putting a dog in a quadruped omniframe painted fun colors and a party hat just because). I don't care if it is a combat pet or non-combat pet, as long as it is not a pure vanity pet. I would like pets in the game to open to everyone and can be used freely. As in games I view pets in much the same way as weapons and armor, it is just that in some cases they are weapons and armor that also level up with you. As long as they are balanced within the game and are fun, I don't see a problem.

Also I have no option on whether or not are or should be pet classes in this game yet, as I don't know how the progression system will work nor even if we'll have classes.

Last edited:

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I don't need any pet unless it is a 1/6 scale clone of Ronyn in which case I agree to this demand.
Wait, our in game pets won't die if I shoot them, throw them off a cliff, use the mech to stomp them, etc? I'd hope they immediately come back like Kenny does.