Ideologies and practices in Em-8er

Aug 14, 2016
I was helping a friend come up with a few plot points for a book they want to write. And I pointed out to them how ideologies could form around the magic system they came up with and how some of those views could lead to wars based on those different view points. As there was a few view points that couldn't co-exist as they are diametrically opposed with no middle ground. And so realistically there would likely be sub factions that existed with the world of the story acting in the background. And some of the main characters would not be immune to the effects of those ideologies even if they didn't believe in them personally.

And this led me the think about what possible ideologies could exist in Em-8er and how far some beings would be willing to go to see it out to the end? For example in real life we have the body purist and the transhumanist. Even those body purists and transhumanists can and do co-exist peacefully with each other the way they view their lives and how they go about doing things couldn't be more different. Where as the body purist would seek to do a task using nothing more than their natural body and gifts as well as simple tools (what ones views as simple tools varies from person to person and based on culture). The transhumanist would seek to augment their personal short coming with technology that could overcome such things and intergrading such technology into their mind and body (even if the technology is an external system they would seek to control it remotely with some kind of implant.). And this would lead to different types of omniframes being made in line with those world views. The omniframes that we know of and seen so far. But there should also be models of omniframes where the pilots are directly linked to the frame itself as if they plugged into somehow.

And these would also lead into the topic cyborgs and biodroids. Where as cyborgs are living beings what integrate technology into their bodies. Biodriods are A.I. or machines that use biological parts for their body. And things like biodroids lead into some odd topics about things like human rights. As an A.I. could make themselves a body of flash and blood using artificial synthetic body parts and organs to be no different from a human. And if a human was to have a child with a biodroid said child would be 100% human. And topics like this have been the plots of many movies and books. Including one of the most famous examples of blurring the line between living brings and machines being the EVAs from Evangelion.

So what are some ideologies could to see existing in the world of Em-8er and how those world view effect the lives of the being living there? And could or even should those ideologies effect the players? After all, in real life some people and nations will refuse the use different weapons and tactics because of their ideologies and their sense of honor and/or pride. While some others because of their ideologies view everything as an option because the ends justify the means so nothing is off limits.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Here are some thoughts:

E.g The Tsimoo are individuals who took the idea of the secrete cow's moo from pop idol of the future mashing the tsihu's appearance communicating with primal moos and congregating by the sound of the big bells ringing from far. Tsimoos follow the bell sounds to the peaks of mountains to respect the mountain and make lots of bell clanging sound waves forming vibration to wake up the elder tsimoo who may recite a moo hymn for the recognition of tsimoo alike for all mookind.

They are very territorial and a large tsimoo gang would moo you out with powers of boulders and force.

E.g. The Shadow Reapers are a pack who are religiously stealthy and anonymous due to their work and so they may live a double life or avoiding those around them completely, to prevent them or others becoming a target.

Some sacrifice have to be made, for those who are in the light are tracked in many ways and those in the shadow have the freedom away from those that force them into a sense of false security.

E.g The Desired are the vip's of the universe many want to be like them but never get to see them in their facility. Some are great leaders to musicians who do not mix well with those not at their status.
Everything is 1st class and nothing else... but the pirates like them more so for certain vip's have a better value than resources it seems!

E.g. The bald eagles all hair must be shaved off, you are a baldy eagle and you live to the Eagles ways.
You live to glide and glide you will and only when you glide with your fellow baldies see the world together from afar.

The opportunity to fish is of delight you are an opportunist and glide glide across the skies.

E.g. Nanokin Order are in smaller worlds within the big world as we know wars are not only battled across the big vast plains of Em8er. There are continued struggles within the microscopic world and the nanokins live they have been created with science and magic.

Nanokin are highly adapable living inside computer systems to the harsh world outside.
There are many forms of nanokins some are lucky enough to become one for a period of time to help or avoid capture. Not many survive starting from a large sized individual to turn into a nanokin due to the vast complexities and conditions far trickier than they may have faced.

Nanokins are rare to make friends with larger kinds but some have especially in some professions e.g lab techs and entertainers etc

E.g. The Fear is a clan of savage society who rule by the 1 rule to cause fear to those and under fear will you earn respect. The most feared is seen as the leader who would use force, and wipe those you cared for. Scary for sure its not that they truly respect rather it is the fear to escape or could someone backstab and the cycle of fear will go on to see who would be the most feared.

E.g. The Em8alons are a lost natives of Em8er who believe their ways are right from teachings by their ancestors following the traditional methods that have worked for many many years. Some Embalons have turned away from their ways to becoming Trans-Em8alons that are not of pure Em8alons so are accepted by some and not by others.

Em8alons are not heard of since that is a collective name, and there is no data to say if they were the tsihu or something completely different perhaps their dna could shed some light.

zabernat#1238

Omega Founder
Ark Liege
Oct 17, 2019
Just from a standpoint of current lore, the various far flung post-earth colonies (28 in total) had extremely different environments that led to humanity evolving to adapt to the environments on the various systems each settled in before gatestriders. The Enshigi were a hyper advanced civilization that cut itself off from the rest of humanity on earth even before the mass exodus. Ideologies were not discussed specifically in the novel and other various lore repositories but there is space for it to be added later. If the 20th century future space-punk theme is carried forward, I believe the major ideologies will still reflect those of the cold war era but potentially adjust in the 28 colonies.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
So what are some ideologies could to see existing in the world of Em-8er and how those world view effect the lives of the being living there?
In the specific planet of our gameplay, you can imagine perspectives which unfold into the technologies used. This can be seen from any perspective you like: The three frame models, various loadouts, various abilities. The strategies which those things allow could be at the core of an ideology.

Then there is the perspective of defensive and offensive. Some citizens prefer a lifestyle away from any danger whatsoever, and stay in orbit. Others would be in a base, some in a more forward base. Some would be in active scouting, and some in engagement.

But more specifically, there are at least two fundamental philosophies

- The structured and planned military perspective incentivised by duty and recognition
- An unstructured perspective incentivised by competition and ego

I decided that since I have significant experience with using an AI, using it for fiction writing, and doing the writing on my own, I would see what I could get out of it. I've had some practice cooperating with an AI to do world, character, and plot stuff. I like what I got, and maybe it would help.

----

Here are two potential ideologies that could lead to war:

1. Technological Supremacy vs. Natural Harmony:
    • Technological Supremacy Ideology: This faction believes in the relentless pursuit of technological advancement, viewing it as the key to human progress and survival. They prioritize the development of artificial intelligence, genetic engineering, and advanced machinery. They are willing to sacrifice natural resources and ecosystems for the sake of technological evolution.
    • Natural Harmony Ideology: On the other hand, this faction values the preservation of the natural world and the balance of ecosystems. They argue that unchecked technological progress is endangering the planet and all its inhabitants. They promote a return to sustainable living, renewable energy sources, and minimal interference with nature.
  2. Conflict Points:
    • Disagreements over resource usage: The Technological Supremacy faction exploits natural resources for their technological endeavors, leading to environmental degradation that the Natural Harmony faction opposes.
    • Ethical concerns: The Natural Harmony group might fear the consequences of unchecked artificial intelligence and genetic manipulation, while the Technological Supremacy advocates dismiss these concerns in pursuit of progress.
  3. Totalitarian Unity vs. Individual Freedom:
    • Totalitarian Unity Ideology: This faction believes in a centralized, authoritarian government that enforces unity and conformity for the sake of stability and progress. They argue that individual freedoms must be sacrificed for the greater good and efficient governance.
    • Individual Freedom Ideology: Conversely, this faction values personal liberties, autonomy, and a decentralized system of governance. They argue that true progress comes from the diversity of ideas and the ability of individuals to pursue their own paths without government interference.
  4. Conflict Points:
    • Governance and control: The Totalitarian Unity faction seeks to control every aspect of society to prevent chaos, while the Individual Freedom faction resists such control, seeing it as oppressive.
    • Innovation and creativity: The Individual Freedom group believes that a society with diverse perspectives fosters innovation, whereas the Totalitarian Unity advocates believe a unified, controlled approach is more efficient.
These ideological differences can manifest in various ways, such as political struggles, military conflicts, and social upheaval. Consider how each ideology shapes the societies, values, and daily lives of the people involved.

----

(Adding my content from the top of this post, I came up with)

1. Technology-Centric Perspectives:
  • Structured Military Technology: This faction focuses on well-organized and planned military strategies. Their technology is carefully designed, with a hierarchy that values duty and recognition. The loadouts and abilities of their forces are meticulously crafted to work together seamlessly, emphasizing teamwork and precision.
  • Unstructured Competitive Technology: On the other hand, this faction thrives on individual skill and innovation. Their forces use cutting-edge technology that allows for more personalized loadouts and unique abilities. The emphasis is on competition and ego, with each member striving to outdo the others in terms of combat effectiveness.
Conflict Points:
  • Tactical approach: Structured Military forces may clash with Unstructured Competitive forces due to differing views on the effectiveness of planned strategies versus individual prowess.
  • Resource allocation: The two factions might vie for control over resources needed for their preferred technologies, leading to tensions over mining operations, research facilities, and production centers.
2. Defensive and Offensive Lifestyles:
  • Orbital Defensive Lifestyle: Citizens who prefer safety above all reside in orbit, using advanced defensive technologies to shield themselves from potential threats. They focus on surveillance and early warning systems, avoiding direct conflict whenever possible.
  • Ground Offensive Lifestyle: Those who embrace a more adventurous lifestyle inhabit bases on the planet's surface. Some prefer forward bases, actively engaging with potential threats, while others scout the unknown territories. Their technology is geared towards offense and exploration.
Conflict Points:
  • Resource competition: Orbital Defensive citizens might seek control over strategic resources in space, while Ground Offensive groups compete for resources on the planet's surface, leading to potential conflicts over mining rights and territory.
  • Philosophical differences: The two lifestyles might clash over the fundamental question of whether it's better to avoid conflict entirely or to confront and overcome challenges head-on.
3. Philosophies of Military Incentives:
  • Structured Duty and Recognition: This faction believes in a sense of duty and loyalty to a centralized authority. Military service is seen as a noble and essential role for the betterment of society. Recognition and commendations are the driving incentives.
  • Unstructured Competition and Ego: In this perspective, military service is a personal journey. The thrill of competition and the desire for personal glory motivate individuals to join the armed forces. Achieving recognition through individual accomplishments is the primary goal.
Conflict Points:
  • Chain of command: Structured Duty and Recognition forces may clash with Unstructured Competition and Ego forces over issues of command structure and discipline.
  • Decision-making processes: The two factions might struggle to agree on military strategies, with one valuing hierarchical planning and the other favoring more dynamic and flexible approaches.
By weaving these elements into your narrative, you can create a rich and layered conflict that not only involves military engagements but also explores the values, motivations, and perspectives of the different factions within your science fiction world.

Aug 14, 2016
I would like to see some NPCs, units, and some companies who follow different ideologies that effect how they work do things.

For example. As some of you know I'm a fire type personality. Meaning that within a fight my ideology is the best defense is a good offense. It is why in games I often have little to no armor and HP but at same time I have ungodly attack power and movement speed. I don't need armor or HP if kill the enemy before they even know that I'm there or even if they are aware of me they can't hit me. So what if there was weapon company that specializes in making high damage output weapons (like snipers, anti-tank guns, and missiles) along with Omniframes parts that have high speed and movement at the cost of having little to no armor. And there would also be a company with opposed ideology of the best defense is a good offense.

I don't have at the moment to sort out all my thoughts but I'll try to make things clearer later.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I would like to see some NPCs, units, and some companies who follow different ideologies that effect how they work do things.
If i was in a company they would be using a network company as cover.
As you progress for this company they have specialized division's such as Ghost Units etc

Different company tiers to work so the further you commit to the company the more specialized area's you could be in with your specific style of play.

- Intelligence (Surveillance finding patterns of least resistance, Translation of alien dialect, Scanning to study weakness/strength, Info collection, selling & even protection)

- Infiltrating (Bug/tracker placement /hacking, to sabotage systems such as comms or enemy units)

- Hostage/item retrieval (Preferably without alerting or setting off alarms, saving vips to taking back nice treasures!!)

- Camouflage / Stealth (Discovering various camo types and high tech stealth devices with progress)

- Alt weapons (weapon modes to fire Sleep projectiles, de-constructor beam that changes the chemistry of a targets body to e.g a liquid form that is evaporated away or blown by wind or taken by water near the beach so that they become part of Em8er. Also a trap that captures energy type enemy like the ghost busters. (Some can also be used for lab research to develop new things)

- Lethal weapons (Noggin eater a virus that is injected and eats their brain then they are left brainless unless they have several brains hmm. A magnet bomb is placed on an area then you can launch more bombs or projectiles at it to increase its damage capabilities to great effect such as for demolition to causing an avalanche etc etc

- Bounty (Either eliminating a target or replacing with a clone or using a memory wipe with a mutator device to give a new identity)

- Undercover (Using disguises to be someone else to solve some crimes providing anonymous tip for GCSF for some rewards

This company is in plain sight and within its structure are much secrets so secret that even your next door neighour could be a spy!!! Only you would know that since you worked your way up to becoming a super secret ghost reaper o.o

Aug 14, 2016
Yes, but different factions wouldn't just have some different gear that only they use. But they would even use some of the gear that they do share in different ways. I'll use myself and one of my friends who is a tank by nature.

Scenario 1
You are are in a large mecha and the enemy has fired a large homing missile at you. What do you do?
Me - I'll fire at the missile with my gun to blow it up before it gets to me or to knock it off course so I can dodge it.
My friend - I'll just use my energy shield to block it while also protecting anyone behind me.

Scenario 2
What if your gear was switch to be that of the other person? How would you deal with the missile than?
Me - I'll shape the energy shield into a two layer dome and project it at the missile. If my aim is right when the missile hits the shield the force of the blast should be directed back at the enemy.
My friend - I'll use the gun to kick up dust to mess with the missile's targeting system while also knock down things in it's way to block it's path, like trees, rocks, and nearby buildings.

Scenario 3
What if you had no weapons or shield, how would deal with the missile?
I would see if I could send out EM waves to try and disable the systems of the missile. If not, I would dash towards the missile and dodge when I'm within it's turning radius. They way it'll lose sight of me and can't turn around fast enough to hit me.
My friend - I would take off part one of the layers of armor I'm wearing and throw it at the missile to blow it up. As some types of armor are designed to beak to weaken the force of what hit it. So the outer layer of sacrificial armor will do.

And just from those few examples you can see my point. Because my friend and I have totally different ideologies when it comes to combat that even if you give us the same tools we would came at the problem in different ways. Where my natural instinct is tends towards destroying the threat as fast as possible by attacking it. My friend's natural instincts block and protect first then deal with the threat after. Our personalities shape how we view tools and how we use them. In fact when started playing games together I use to joke that "If I'm every forced to be a tank you know I'll find a way to hit and kill enemies with my shield. Just like how you would try to use a sword to block every attack."

If there are going to be different factions in the game than they just can't say that they are different from one another and use a few specialized gear that only they have. But they also have to think and act different even if they was given the same gear and face the same problem.

VRK9

Sep 15, 2017
Portugal
One other point, what if the gameplay of the combat should be a little "different" from other games in the case of enemies, in a more "realistic" way?

What if instead of enemies being just bullet sponges only, the game could have ways to one hit kills for skilled players?

We have weapon types: melee, ranged...; elements: kinetic, energy...; resistance and weaknesses...
So players should have different ways to kill enemies in more or less traditional ways.

Example: we have a giant boss with a small necklace in his neck.
That boss have 1ook hp, medium kinetic resistance and high energy resistance, but his necklace have 1k hp with energy weakness, and a point behind it with 500 hp.

We have 2 players: 1 with a sniper rifle and 1 with a sword, both players have abilities to switch the element of their weapons from kinetic to energy (sniper rifle with normal bullets or energy bullets, normal sword or laser sword).

During the fight, both players can go with 2 ways:
-Normal bullet sponge way, were they try to stay alive while depleting the boss's hp, with kinetic bullets and sword.
-Or weakspot way:
In this way the sniper could try a perfect shot to the necklace with an energy bullet, and if it has a piercing or aoe effect and enough power to hit the giant boss with 1500 damage, he just one hit kill the boss, if not, he can just destroy the necklace first and hit the weakspot next with a two hit kill.
The sword player could do the same with a energy sword, by climbing the giant and hit the necklace with the sword.

What do you think?

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
different factions wouldn't just have some different gear that only they use. But they would even use some of the gear that they do share in different ways.
I also wonder if there are higher rank opponents that can use fallen allies weapons to surprise us with a different tactic?

-Normal bullet sponge way, were they try to stay alive while depleting the boss's hp, with kinetic bullets and sword.
-Or weakspot way:
In this way the sniper could try a perfect shot to the necklace with an energy bullet, and if it has a piercing or aoe effect and enough power to hit the giant boss with 1500 damage, he just one hit kill the boss, if not, he can just destroy the necklace first and hit the weak spot next with a two hit kill.
The sword player could do the same with a energy sword, by climbing the giant and hit the necklace with the sword.
The option for 2 different ways is good especially depending on how skilled the player is as not all could do precision hits.

I do like options, and while playing a game cyberpunk 2077 my main joy was to complete tasks with the least amount of kills. Though my first go i did run someone over with my nice car which did seem like my driving skills needed to be worked on somewhat more!

Anyways a restart and that blip out the way, i like to incap the enemy you can do that with bosses as far as i know at the moment too. As long as you are aware of the last bit of health because a little extra dmg over and its oops.

In the Em8er world you could have these options

As you mentioned with A&B

A) Attack them through skilled attacks and focus on weak points
B) Traditional longer battles bullet sponge boss, supports luring and weakening.
C) Finishers or Incap

Depending what is done to the boss could result in either salvaging more resources and parts for something you want if boss is eliminated.

On the other hand to incap could give you various routes to interrogate for more info, clone to create some of its tech, research to utilize better armor for yourself, could even set it back into the portal free and tagged, perhaps that one will not forget your mercy or perhaps it will return with a fellow buddy due to the shame and to make a statement.

As you have tagged that boss perhaps it could have evolved returning for revenge or perhaps you could see a kaiju making surprise appearances for a short time to aid in the extreme battles when a majority of the map is taken over and return back into the portal.

I don't know, would be great if there is the choice to do that, however sometimes taking out a target is the fastest route to solve a problem in that situation. Wonder if the consequence of that action will involve a difficulty change to the skilled player or a tougher challenge to those who prefer to incap.

The issue i see with that is most would like to end it and go to the next and could mess up the plan for someone who would rather incap the boss unless it was in a different instance.

Then again sometimes there is no other choice or is there hmm???

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
One other point, what if the gameplay of the combat should be a little "different" from other games in the case of enemies, in a more "realistic" way?

What if instead of enemies being just bullet sponges only, the game could have ways to one hit kills for skilled players?

We have weapon types: melee, ranged...; elements: kinetic, energy...; resistance and weaknesses...
So players should have different ways to kill enemies in more or less traditional ways.

Example: we have a giant boss with a small necklace in his neck.
That boss have 1ook hp, medium kinetic resistance and high energy resistance, but his necklace have 1k hp with energy weakness, and a point behind it with 500 hp.

We have 2 players: 1 with a sniper rifle and 1 with a sword, both players have abilities to switch the element of their weapons from kinetic to energy (sniper rifle with normal bullets or energy bullets, normal sword or laser sword).

-Or weakspot way:
In this way the sniper could try a perfect shot to the necklace with an energy bullet, and if it has a piercing or aoe effect and enough power to hit the giant boss with 1500 damage, he just one hit kill the boss, if not, he can just destroy the necklace first and hit the weakspot next with a two hit kill.

What do you think?
I love games that have weak points or vital points on enemies that could allow you kill even bosses in only one or two hits if you know where to aim and what they are weak too.

In the MMO PSO2 and PSO2:NGS most of the enemies have weak points on their bodies. Some are in their chest area, or on the back, or inside their body covered by armor. The ones with open weak points you just have to find a way to hit them. As the ones with weak points on their back well till to face you at all times. But the ones with hidden weak points you have to first break the armor covering that weak point. Even bosses have weak points in the game and often times to kill the bosses really fast is to break their armor to show their vital points and save your big super attacks for when their cores are open. One of the classes in the game called Ranger has an ability with their rifle called Weak Bullet or Blight Rounds going by who you talk too, that adds a debuff to enemies making them take more damage than normal even through armor. And other player have to hit the same spot where the Ranger aimed at to get the bonus damage too. It is also a way for older players to show newer players what to aim for while in boss fights and event battles.

Plus there are games like Warframe where enemies have the normal weak points of head shots and stealth melee kills. Because warframes like Banshee can make extra weak points on enemies that bypass their normal defenses. And pets like Helios can do the same to a smaller degree. Meaning that players that like to do melee and skill shots more than mindless firing AOEs everywhere can skill kill everything in one hit without at problem.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Plus there are games like Warframe where enemies have the normal weak points of head shots and stealth melee kills. Because warframes like Banshee can make extra weak points on enemies that bypass their normal defenses. And pets like Helios can do the same to a smaller degree. Meaning that players that like to do melee and skill shots more than mindless firing AOEs everywhere can skill kill everything in one hit without at problem.
I like the way things are scanned and highlighted gives vital information to yourself or even the allies.
Such as how in Firefall with the sin (shared intelligence network) where you can highlight a target.
If there are more advanced ways to point out information such as threat status if they are e.g.

- Status of opponent's behavior (agitated, confused, sleepy etc etc)
- Weakness points split into potential death strikes or incap locations.
- If already encountered data could show more faster scans unless its a variant
- Opponents use of Shield, health, armor preference by the order of the symbol e.g an individual in a bubble symbol for shield and so on. Though the % or number can be shown or hidden.
- Advanced scans could provide further radius cover for allies to support with debuff/buff capability to link better at a greater cost to energy including mod slots.
- Predicted movement A.I scan from the op AI
- Also ghost scans ... would be rather fun too etc

Would various types of scans and info give the player a good feeling as if they were something like the predator, robocop, some super solider, to a technowizard etc etc

Aug 14, 2016
I like the way things are scanned and highlighted gives vital information to yourself or even the allies.
Such as how in Firefall with the sin (shared intelligence network) where you can highlight a target.
If there are more advanced ways to point out information such as threat status if they are e.g.

- Status of opponent's behavior (agitated, confused, sleepy etc etc)
- Weakness points split into potential death strikes or incap locations.
- If already encountered data could show more faster scans unless its a variant
- Opponents use of Shield, health, armor preference by the order of the symbol e.g an individual in a bubble symbol for shield and so on. Though the % or number can be shown or hidden.
- Advanced scans could provide further radius cover for allies to support with debuff/buff capability to link better at a greater cost to energy including mod slots.
- Predicted movement A.I scan from the op AI
- Also ghost scans ... would be rather fun too etc

Would various types of scans and info give the player a good feeling as if they were something like the predator, robocop, some super solider, to a technowizard etc etc
Given how we are a space faring race in the game and we have both space ships and mecha having A.I. assisted scanning, tracking, and targeting systems would be a standard thing in ships and mecha. After all we have such systems in real life to help pilots flying jets. Even more so on the newer military aircraft as well as some of navy's assisted targeting systems to help them stay on target even in rough seas. This is why in a good number of the more realistic flight and space games as well as the more grounded mecha games having A.I. assisted scanning and targeting is built into the ship and/or mecha. Sure the pilot can turn the systems off at will if they feel they can make a better shot with out it. But it is always where.

This also why in air combat and space combat games that are more realistic when you are targeting an enemy with your guns you always see a line going from the target leading to a small targeting reticle. That is the targeting assist system telling you that is you want to hit the target moving at this speed in this direction relative your speed and direction you have to aim at this intercept point for the shots. This also why in those game a lot of players in those games are always trying to change speed and direction as much as possible to try and throw off the aim of the targeting system by making the A.I. guess wrong about where are you are going to be in the next 1 or 2 seconds. And this more people in real life are trained to fight and counter targeting systems.

Some people might think that having aim assist as part of a game is kind like cheating and they don't like it. But to the people who know how real life battles are fought and are playing a game that uses real world logic to how system work in a modern or futuristic setting. Than having aim assist systems is given part of modern day warfare that can't be ignored just because some players don't know how to deal with it. Hell, the Armored Core games all have targeting assist computers system that the players can change out to suit their needs and factors as part of the balance because their is no one targeting system that is good at everything. And there is a reason why us funs of the older Armored Core games say things like Armored Core was Dark Souls long before Dark Souls existed. So having aim assist in games doesn't always mean the game is easier, because if done right having aim assist in a game makes it harder. As not only do you have to out think other person but also whatever targeting computer they are using too. And is not even getting into the whole topic of things like homing missiles and homing bullets. Yes, I said homing bullets. We have those in real life too now.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The use of assisted systems for a sneaky character this could target panels hard to reach around a corner from corridors, such as how in mgs your guided missile can be used to hit a panel.

Then you can wonder why some may not work due to jammers that are used by a unit or hidden away with the use of a stealth generator such as the one in C&C.

Also with the various vision modes such as x-ray to whatever modes are available you can see things that not many others can. This really helps with ways to identify the right target, sabotage or to even find alternatives to tackling a task.

Sometimes if those targeting systems or visions are disabled or reduced in efficiency, then going to manual control. The pilot will be using more of their instinct and decision making from what was gained from the training should surely come in handy.

Another thing is hiding away evidence such as incap bodies in containers or away from opponents routes/surveillance.
Unless ofc you end them which to some may defeat the purpose of undetected approach in co-ordination of a planned co-ordinated strike to take down a network with the help of the others outside.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
Plus in real life we use different types of scans to look for and find different things. But also for the people who know how to read the scans and know what the data means you can know things about the object that others might not notice. For example everyone knows that you can use thermal optics to see heat. And therefore can be used to find people, animals, and objects that give off heat. Simple right. But people who are things like electricians can read those thermal images to track the flow of energy within a system and even note weak points within a system from it. Meaning that even without know anything about a machine or how it works people like electricians would pinpoint where the power source is and/or where all the power is focused at. Meaning that is they want to destroy the object as fast as possible without doing much work they just need to aim for those key hot spots within the system. Just like how doctors might note that two hottest spots within a living body is often times the brain and the heart. And so those for the first things to protect or destroy on living beings when trying to save or end their life.

I have not played mean games outside of stealth games that even pointed out those facts. And even then, only a few of stealth games go into that detail. The first Deus Ex for PC and Splinter Cell are the only games that come to mind when even thinking about it. Because you could use the different vision modes to find and trick things like electrical wires or see infrared lasers and infrared lights to avoid traps people can't see as will as find hidden switches and power boxes to turn things on or off.

So going by what types of scans that we use in the game different people with a different understanding of things can see and use the data in different ways. Just like in real life. But also like in real life the different scans can be used to point out differences in how different people and life forms view the world around them. Like for example how white light doesn't really exists, but rather it is just a shade of blue that most people can't see. To people who can see this color everything that looks white or clear to other people have this odd bluish tone to them. No different from how some people can taste things within food that most other people can't. And therefore this knowledge can be used by people who know these facts to make signs to one another that go unnoticed by other beings. Like for example, mean animals can't see the color red. So humans can use the color red to make things other animals can't see because they are blind to that color. It is why to humans the orange strips on a tiger stands out and it can't hind from us. But other the other animals in the area who can't see the color red, those same orange strips look greenish, so to them tigers are green with black strips and hide in the grass really will.

Aug 14, 2016
One of the ideologies that could play a big role in things in Em-8er, because it is also a large factor in the real world ideologies, is animism. As animism is the belief that all things have a spirit / soul, even inanimate objects. And there are many cultures in real life where animism plays some part in how they view the world. It doesn't have to be full belief in animism because even a partial or vague understanding or belief in animism effects people. Case and point, how many people do you know that name things like their car, house, and/or weapon an often talks to it or talks about it as if it was alive and has a personality? Even if they don't personally believe in animism in their mind key traits and emotions are link to the object. So even if they don't believe it has a life of it's own all the odd and unique traits of the object along with the memories that they have of the object gives it a kind of pseudo life and personality.

I bring this up because of a number of reasons. But top of on list being that number of warrior cultures have an habit doing this. After all, one of the key things people say when you are trying to master a tool or a weapon is that you first have to view the tool or weapon as being a kind of extension, if not a part of your body itself. The better you are at doing that the easier it is master the tool or weapon and make it do things that seem almost impossible to do by normal people. And even in modern times some soldiers are trained to take on this ideology / mind set when it comes to their weapons and equipment. With one of the most famous ones being the rifle creed some U.S. soldiers are forced take on. For example.

And even in works of games, comics, and anime it is not uncommon for a main character to view their weapon or mecha as being somewhat alive despite not having a personality or A.I. core in it for much of the same reasons as above with people and their cars. Even the more realistic things like Gumdam well often show this ideology with some of their pilots. And in games like Warhammer 40k one extreme this ideology is pushed to in the belief of The Machine God or Omnissiah by Adeptus Mechanicus and a few other factions in the game's lore.

This might seem odd and crazy to some. With the idea of something like a machine god only existing in works of fiction made by people who made the games or animes. But in fact there are many cultures in real life where there are gods of technology. So the idea itself is nothing new. For example Ptah from Egyptian mythology, Hephaestus from Greek mythology who is also named Vulcan in Roman mythology, and the list goes on.

And the idea of animism gets more complex with add in things like A.I., and autonomous robots and / or mecha a into the mix. Because there is always going to be some people who view them as being nothing more than tools and machines. And there is going to be some people who state that is they have a given level of comprehension and can think for itself, than it should be treated with the same respect as any lifeform. And things can get even more complex when Humans are forced to deal with advanced alien A.I. that seems no different from any natural life form.

I had no real goal with this post other than to just point this out and maybe see other people's thoughts and ideas on this aspect of ideologies within Em-8er or other media.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Some animisms of things such:

- Environment such as the Gods of mountains, Goddess of the eternal trees etc etc
- Those who dream could base their dreams on messages of guidance from a higher existence
- Those who wear masks with characteristics of a beast or creature to empower them of that spirit and ward off the evil.
- Could even be a small toy a family member gave you. Which holds sentimental value, bringing the memory of that loved one and whom they were as a person through the object itself, as a token of good luck and honor.
- The belief of karma and beyond, what you do to others will come back to you. So those who may choose the alternative path to eliminate would use trickery to fool the opponent to non-lethal methods of incap. The second chance to change or to send to banishment of the lost portal where nothing as it seems of their reality neither alive or dead just floating in limbo.

Aug 14, 2016
I'm also reminded of the myths of things like living armor, weapons with wills of their own, and even houses with lives of their own that can use their power to protect or herm the people who enter them. And I'm also reminded of things like tsukumogami myths in Japan. The monsters born from objects the absorbed enough spiritual energy over many years to gain a life of their own.