Sell The Game - not just Packs

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
just start selling same starter packs to the game and make easy to do please, :p so players can get like they are, getting same were with all these pack give ways to plays that just happy to be on all the time to get them. :rolleyes:
Funding the game via the "Mile Stone" system is both a way for the fans and supporters to back the game development and hold the development team within a reasonable budget timing plan. Three months for a "Sale" or a funding event is nearly over doing it and either comes across as desperate or greedy when carried on longer than that.

With a longer view, once the game is funded through this next (Kick-starter/ gofundme) campaign the outcome should be a very near release product or releasable alpha/beta product that will be marketable as a product for consumers (Note: Final release game will be free to play). At this point the game can start "funding" its own service requirements (Servers, Infrastructure, IP Fees, etc.) with the possibility of one more funding campaign/ "Founder Pack" campaign to wrap-up initial development and push toward expansion. From here the game needs to fund itself to be viable, though since the product itself will be "privately owned" additional fund raising could be used to keep the game "live" in any condition as long as the service is funded.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
ah so does that mean once you purchase the game you own it
but if there are expansions/skins etc that are added to the game
this can be purchased?
The game is not exactly Pay to Play, in the sense that there is no recurring subscription required to continue playing the game. A more accurate description would be Buy to Play. Once you buy the game you are allowed full access to available content, in essence, yes, you own it for good, and can play available content without any repeated payments.

There will be a cash shop which sells cosmetic items. It will not sell anything that gives an advantage to a player.

Expansions/additional content will follow a similar model. You will have to buy these expansions in order to gain access to the content. P2P.JPG
exp.JPG

Last edited:

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The game is not exactly Pay to Play, in the sense that there is no recurring subscription required to continue playing the game. A more accurate description would be Buy to Play. Once you buy the game you are allowed full access to available content, in essence, yes, you own it for good, and can play available content without any repeated payments.

There will be a cash shop which sells cosmetic items. It will not sell anything that gives an advantage to a player.

Expansions/additional content will follow a similar model. You will have to buy these expansions in order to gain access to the content. View attachment 2285
View attachment 2286
thanks for the clear explanation :)

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
... sock puppet ...

Sock puppets of the ̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ universe unite! Or not. :rolleyes:

The OP probably needs to clarify their message in proper English.

Good stuffz...but...

The game will be Pay To Play...not F2P.

Dude. Gotta add my dissent to this, as others (like Maven) have already.

Buy to play, with ongoing support via bling sales. That is not pay to play.

So what do we have that is similar?

Firefail: Free to play with bling sales. Except they gave away the bling for free in the end, just as long as you ground it out. The definitely didn't have a business plan.

Warframe: Free to play with bling sales. Most of the bling sales come from the pay-to-have-it-now crowd, in the form of Prime Access sales. They do a new frame every three months. Everyone else still gets to grind it out, but it takes far more than Firefail ever required. Firefail only ever made it easier. And then they resell access to the older Primes for those that came late. They have a really fucking good business plan, although they almost failed at one stage. The original Excalibur Prime sales pretty much saved them.

Em-8ER: Buy to play. Shut up and put some money in, or fuck off. And yet it's not really that much money. Indie dev sales values. Nothing like top tier. Not even close. We could probably even call it pocket money. Pocket money is a viable business plan.

And that is where it will hopefully succeed. A little bit of pocket money, from a lot of people, on a regular basis. Pocket money to start, pocket money for bling, pocket money for expansions. And vehicles. Don't forget the vehicles.

Which means OP, there are no packs to sell. There *will* be some at the Kickstarter. Access to the game, at Indie game prices, with early access limited bling. Not the bling that already exists, because that is locked in as exclusive (or not: https://forums.em8er.com/threads/em-8er-upgrades-new-bike-limited-time-offer.1263/).

So bring yourself, bring your friends, and bring your pocket money. Also bring your backing. Your Twitch streaming. Your forum posts. Your Discord presence. Your worksite or playground discussions. It's not much, all things considered. And yet it could help make a great game.

https://forums.em8er.com/forums/vision-book-project-proofing.28/

Krhys

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
I'm not adverse to spending a few $ to buy a new frame slot every so often, like in Warframe (when I was actually playing it, back in the day) where you had to purchase frame or inventroy slots slots for a small fee. Just as long as they don't rip the ring out of it.

If it helps the devs keep the game running and new content coming in, it's all good. They need to eat and pay the bills too...

However, I remember playing Soul and Blade soon after it first came out and within no time my inventory had filled up, which meant I couldn't complete some 'quests' unless I dumped some stuff which I didn't know if I needed later. Constantly paying real cash for a couple of additional slots that filled up in minutes was really, really annoying. I gave up after a while so I hope Ember doesn't go along this route but I suppose it won't be an RPG style game, so inventory space may not be as important.

Maven

Kaiju Slayer
Max Kahuna
Philanthropist
Jul 26, 2016
I'm not adverse to spending a few $ to buy a new frame slot every so often, like in Warframe (when I was actually playing it, back in the day) where you had to purchase frame or inventroy slots slots for a small fee. Just as long as they don't rip the ring out of it.

If it helps the devs keep the game running and new content coming in, it's all good. They need to eat and pay the bills too...
This is actually a useful addition as a source of revenue. Though you will always have that certain group of individuals raising hell over how the free slots aren't enough, how forcing to pay for additional slots is 'ripping off' and how the system is favoring players who spend 'excessive' amounts of money.

However, I remember playing Soul and Blade soon after it first came out and within no time my inventory had filled up, which meant I couldn't complete some 'quests' unless I dumped some stuff which I didn't know if I needed later. Constantly paying real cash for a couple of additional slots that filled up in minutes was really, really annoying. I gave up after a while so I hope Ember doesn't go along this route but I suppose it won't be an RPG style game, so inventory space may not be as important.
Ah Blade & Soul. I enjoyed that one. It was so generic in it's questing system, but the combat more than made up for it. The inventory issue was too real though, especially with all those shards(?). Too bad my ping made it nigh impossible to continue playing it.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Sock puppets of the ̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ universe unite! Or not. :rolleyes:

The OP probably needs to clarify their message in proper English.

Dude. Gotta add my dissent to this, as others (like Maven) have already.

Buy to play, with ongoing support via bling sales. That is not pay to play.

So what do we have that is similar?

Firefail: Free to play with bling sales. Except they gave away the bling for free in the end, just as long as you ground it out. The definitely didn't have a business plan.

Warframe: Free to play with bling sales. Most of the bling sales come from the pay-to-have-it-now crowd, in the form of Prime Access sales. They do a new frame every three months. Everyone else still gets to grind it out, but it takes far more than Firefail ever required. Firefail only ever made it easier. And then they resell access to the older Primes for those that came late. They have a really fucking good business plan, although they almost failed at one stage. The original Excalibur Prime sales pretty much saved them.

Em-8ER: Buy to play. Shut up and put some money in, or fuck off. And yet it's not really that much money. Indie dev sales values. Nothing like top tier. Not even close. We could probably even call it pocket money. Pocket money is a viable business plan.

And that is where it will hopefully succeed. A little bit of pocket money, from a lot of people, on a regular basis. Pocket money to start, pocket money for bling, pocket money for expansions. And vehicles. Don't forget the vehicles.

Which means OP, there are no packs to sell. There *will* be some at the Kickstarter. Access to the game, at Indie game prices, with early access limited bling. Not the bling that already exists, because that is locked in as exclusive (or not: https://forums.em8er.com/threads/em-8er-upgrades-new-bike-limited-time-offer.1263/).

So bring yourself, bring your friends, and bring your pocket money. Also bring your backing. Your Twitch streaming. Your forum posts. Your Discord presence. Your worksite or playground discussions. It's not much, all things considered. And yet it could help make a great game.

https://forums.em8er.com/forums/vision-book-project-proofing.28/
That really depends how big the family is too and how much someone is earning but i get what your saying!

Gordro

Omniframe Inventor
Jul 26, 2016
England
In all seriousness, "buy to play" is great, it stops a lot of the gold seller style spam and removes a lot of the "free accounts grief for da lolz" crap.

However this only givers a short term injection of cash, from the point of release, all income must be generated by people willing to buy silly hats or moustaches from the store.

A second tier of "VIP" or "Advanced membership" for a monthly fee should be considered to provide a constant revenue stream.

Not "Pay to Win" but some benefits not available to basic users. things like expedited login or minor exp/gold boosts we are talking 5% or that level, not much but something. Even different colours in the various chats.