Working around anti-class / build maps

Aug 14, 2016
I don't know about the reset of you, but one of the things I noticed in some games are devs making maps that put some classes and/or builds at a large disadvantage in favor others. This in and of itself is not bad as long as it makes logical sense and is done equally to all classes and builds. But in some games you can tell when the devs ether don't think about some things might effect some classes and builds or the design of the map makes it feel like the devs have a bit of hate for the class or build.

Using FireFall as an example. It is no secret that I'm both main as snipers and melee in games. And later years of FireFall one of things I and some other sniper mains have notice was that newer missions and maps seemed to be designed in such a way as to be anti-sniper. To the point where it is not just much harder to play those missions or maps as a sniper, but made it so unfun to play as snipers as to give the feeling that person or people who made has a noticeable amount of hate for sniper players. And I remember I was not the only one who posted about such things on the forums and chats.

Now, I'm not saying this something that could happen in Em-8er. But it is something that should be giving some thought to on how to counter in case it does happen by mistake. As things like this become more common in games where metas pop up commonly as people learn the devs focus on some types of game play over others.

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I haven't played enough class-based games to notice any difference (Diablo 3 being the most recent, and you can break it with any class).

Completely see your point. It'll be down to frame type, weapon and ability balancing to ensure that people who prefer a certain playstyle/s can still be effective and enjoy the game without being under-powered. Given the huge variety of layouts we're supposed to be able to pick from, it'll be really difficult to balance everything. I suspect they'll balance weapons and abilities for certain scenarios, and encourage you to call down your other frames to switch as needed.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
With the demo of being able to make holes i'd hope we can make holes with special shovels if we need to hide or set a trap for things to fall in.

Perhaps these holes cannot be too big because the shovel or device is not as adaptable/powerful as a digger or driller.

ChAzZ_NuT

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jan 22, 2017
I think it would be great if there was a nice blend of advantage and disadvantage areas on Em8er, depending on the build you play, the equipment you chose, the number of players you bring along and the tactics you deploy. So long as there's somewhat of a balance across the board, and I'm optimistic that the team will find this balance.

And I'm sure the snipers will have a great time, considering how large the map's envisioned to be.

Mar 1, 2017
It would help a lot if you could choose pick a suitable build before going into battle.
Either by knowing in advance where the mission happens, or by an option to switch between prepared builds at the start. Personally, I would want one for close quarters an done for long range.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
It would help a lot if you could choose pick a suitable build before going into battle.
Either by knowing in advance where the mission happens, or by an option to switch between prepared builds at the start. Personally, I would want one for close quarters an done for long range.

Planning is important, and sometimes we may not know what is going to happen.

I like this idea of profile/build slots so we can be adptable and better prepared.
Would these options be accessible in garages/bases or even mobile command points etc?

Also if tech research bases could affect this e.g.
If a tech research building was damaged or had issues and this could affect our tech level to use our preferred equipment/weapons etc

It could be anything from being more energy efficient to diverting more power to other areas of the build of interest etc

Unless we take into account the tech level and have sub sections for our main profile/build slots for the various tech level options incase of such circumstance hmm