Why some kind of ability restriction is required

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone!
Just here to say, abilities can be a mess and combined they may be extremely op and hard to balance. They need some kind of restrictions. Think of it. And propose :) Just keep freedom, no strict restrictions :)

Jul 28, 2016
What sort of pilot abilities do you have in mind that wouldn't be granted by the frame/gear the pilot is equipped with?

My take on this is that, like the original FF, the pilot earns XP then spends said XP to unlock a new type of frame to pilot. And that is the extent of the pilot's "stats" IIRC.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
If we work within a constraints system the more powerful ("OP") abilities could cost more in CPU/Power compared to other abilities, or we could make it so that you can scale the output of abilities, so that the more powerful you make the ability the more drain it puts on your systems.

Other then that, the problem would otherwise be the basic design of the abilities.

Jul 28, 2016
I think that's an excellent way to balance gear based abilities, @TankHunter678. I'm just not completely certain that's what the OP is talking about.

We don't seem to have an actual FAQ on what the vision is for the game. I've found the Q&A audio and am waiting for the transcript, and the Indiegogo feature list. Should we try to assemble a semi official FAQ from those to keep the blue sky dreaming under control?

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
What sort of pilot abilities do you have in mind that wouldn't be granted by the frame/gear the pilot is equipped with?

My take on this is that, like the original FF, the pilot earns XP then spends said XP to unlock a new type of frame to pilot. And that is the extent of the pilot's "stats" IIRC.
I am thinking about op combinations that would break the meta. For example something almost suicidal and auto-revive bot ability. Also, we won't have frames, just one customizable omniframe

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
I am thinking about op combinations that would break the meta. For example something almost suicidal and auto-revive bot ability. Also, we won't have frames, just one customizable omniframe
you can solve the problem by not having something clearly as op as a self-autorevival bot ability in the first place, example aside i think that as long a you cannot have 2 abilities cast by the same player active at the same time there shouldn't be a balance problem from combinations

Jul 26, 2016
we don't know enough to really think about this.

I mean Kern could decide to put abilities and weapons in the same progression/crafting system so that if you want a character that tosses out fireballs, well you got to sacrifice greater weapon or frame capabilities.

For instance I'm following Project Genom and in their progression system, if you put all your points in the pistol category of the weapon branch then you won't have any points to put in other weapon category. Although that means you will be able to use higher rank pistols with some hefty upgrades that stack on top of whatever the weapon naturally comes with.

A system like that I think would make abilities and weapons more interesting.
So you can essentially make a frame that has no abilites but is a weapon master or a frame that has no weapons and is a ability master.

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016

I mean Kern could decide to put abilities and weapons in the same progression/crafting system so that if you want a character that tosses out fireballs, well you got to sacrifice greater weapon or frame capabilities.

For instance I'm following Project Genom and in their progression system, if you put all your points in the pistol category of the weapon branch then you won't have any points to put in other weapon category. Although that means you will be able to use higher rank pistols with some hefty upgrades that stack on top of whatever the weapon naturally comes with.

So you can essentially make a frame that has no abilites but is a weapon master or a frame that has no weapons and is a ability master.
I request your cat avatar to come back!

Jul 28, 2016
Initially it will be a single, customizable frame due to the art costs of having a designer create 3D art for multiple frames. Think about it, 4 frames times 2 genders (M/F) = 8 sets of animations for every action.

I do believe that Mark does plan for multiple basic frames, though the Q&A did leave that open.

Jul 28, 2016

That's a vertical progression for the character. Mr. Kern has stated his interest in a horizontal progression, not unlike the original beta of FF

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
Horizontal progression and the Tech Tree were things I liked about the original FF we played.
I was OK with restraints. Even the Tech Tree just unlocked options for us and not gave us the ability to be OP when compared to other players. Skill should be able to defeat gear.