What will done to combat the "Evony Effect"?

Nightallen

Lieutenant
Aug 26, 2016
Some may be asking what is the "Evony Effect", well I will explain.

I used to play the original Evony browser game back several years ago. It was a persistent war game where the world still went on even if you were logged off or sleeping. Cities were always been captured and retaken all the time. For anyone who was even slightly serious about the game started changing there life schedule around the times they needed to log and check to make sure you weren't being attacked or to farm for food for the armies. It caused players to be constantly thinking about the game even when there weren't logged in or doing other things.

While Evony was pvp, ember is pve. Bases will work differently and all resources and responsibility won't be placed on a single player to upkeep. However, the persistent world will cause the same effect of stress that work accomplished will be gone if they aren't always online defending it. example, I just took that base last night and when I woke up it was taken back.

That constant pull to stay in the game and play burned out so many players I can't count including myself. For me it got to the point where I just couldn't take the non stop stress from feeling the need to stay only to stay relevant and safe.

While you want to players to play as much as they want . I don't think you want burn out ot happen to large portion of the player base. While not much as really been said about how the war system will play out on a day to day basis its definitely a thought to keep in mind when you do start hashing out the day to day war efforts the players will need to be dealing with.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
In firefall on the lowest population times at night, the Chosen would take over 90% of the map. It was not a big deal for even two or three skilled people, let alone any kind of larger group play, to recapture the map in an hour. There wasn’t any burn out involved, if anything it was a daily repeat.

I believe our bases will be able to hold up better than that so that things aren’t lost even through low pop times.

Can someone help here with the most current information on the A.I. and how it reacts to population density?

Will there be a massive effort for balance and things lost a lot in the beginning, of course, but detrimental to the player base and count? Nah.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Even though the war will be persistent i would guess that the A.I Director would have some good ways to keep things interesting.

I'd probably be wondering if something was taken over by the tsihu in the back of my mind. It wouldn't be a complete take over and if it was then the alliance of other groups can make sure that even if your not around during a time someone could and be keeping an eye out.

I am not sure if npc's are going to help, did remember in firefall they did shoot back not that it was as effective as players still they did something.

DHYohko

Ark Liege
Nov 6, 2018
in EM8er servers don't work the normal way. Each server is 1 continent/geolocation and players can go to any continent they wish so when one part of the playerbase is sleeping the other is active and because they can go to any server they can respond to invasions and hold out while the rest of the players come back on.

to further elaborate, imagine if the amerian continent was the landmass that players had managed to claim on Em8er. there would be 1 server for canada, USA, Mexico, and south america. players could phisically "walk" from one server to another or fly back to H.O.M.E. and re-deploy to any area on any server that needs help.

Servers are not realms that separate players but just a way to give players low latency options near there location.

Last edited: