What I liked from the FireFall beta

Hi, I'm Karnivorous. This is just a post to share my thoughts on what I liked from FireFall and its pre-release stages. The purpose is to see what other people's opinions are and just to give my general input.

So firstly I want to talk about something that FireFall had a few issues with and something that was a constant battle in the development stages: loot. It was what got me excited about the game in the first place (after watching the first gameplay trailer) and I really enjoyed the fact that weapons, weapon mods, battleframes etc. with random stats would drop from mobs and it became a prominent feature in the beta at one point. Now I know that feature remained in the game but the drop rates were reduced greatly and the items that did drop were mostly god awful. There was more of a focus on crafting gear. I'm all for crafting as a huge aspect of the game is resource collection but it removed the excitement of finding rare and unique gear. I remember having weapons that I was super proud of owning because I had found them out on the Copacabana beach. A good balance between crafting and looting could make for a great experience.

Another feature I thoroughly enjoyed was instanced PvP (specifically the Orbital Comm Tower map, good times) which was also something that FireFall struggled with and it was actually partly because of the fact that some people had been fortunate enough to find extremely powerful weapons. I know its difficult to balance PvP and have it entirely skill based when everyone gets different loot drops but that's an entirely different topic with a lot of depth. Being rewarded after a game was also a neat touch. If there was maybe a system where the stats of a player's gear was tied to matchmaking it could work, or even take a page from Destiny's book and set gear stats to a base rate in PvP and have a mode in which stats are unaltered.

Thumping, just thumping. Sounds weird, always has but that gives it character, y'know. It stayed in the game which was nice to see and the scan hammer is a cool mechanic too so not too much to say on this subject, I just liked it. It was definitely a core aspect of FireFall and I see that Ember will continue to maintain that as quoted in the email "Mining and gathering resources with the aid of huge, autonomous mechs." Maybe there could be mods that alter the performance of these mechs or even add personal defense systems.

Lastly, something that never made it into the game, the concept of being able to travel around worlds without instanced areas. I really wasn't fond of all the little locations that were level locked and such and I know that this is something Kern touches on on the Indiegogo page, it was something that I really looked forward to. There was that opportunity to potentially explore the entire planet, I mean, that may be a little far fetched but something along those lines...just would've been nice to see.

There's a bunch of other stuff I could talk about but this post is long enough already so thanks if you read through it all and please give your own opinions; what you liked/didn't like and whether you agree or disagree with me, I'm open to discussion.

TL;DR
I liked:
Loot/Crafting
PvP
Resource collection
(Concept of a) Huge sandbox world

Thanks
Karnivorous

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I liked the community.
The game play in general.
Movement seemed faster back then.
Limited PVP in essentially an arena.
Horizontal upgrades.
The Tech tree giving me freedom to decide what I wanted to do.
Exploration was great. I wanted to find out what was ahead. We all willingly ran to our death in the Melding just to glimpse at what was beyond.
Randomly dropped loot not being as often but rather being better when we did get it.

I liked the community.
The game play in general.
Movement seemed faster back then.
Limited PVP in essentially an arena.
Horizontal upgrades.
The Tech tree giving me freedom to decide what I wanted to do.
Exploration was great. I wanted to find out what was ahead. We all willingly ran to our death in the Melding just to glimpse at what was beyond.
Randomly dropped loot not being as often but rather being better when we did get it.
Of course, the community! How could I forget. I spent a lot of time in the RP threads way back. A little gem called Demonic/Angelic, I met a lot of cool people and had great fun participating in that RP.

NitroMidgets

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 27, 2016
Dupont, WA
I remembered when somebody said we were crazy to have a competition before there was even a Closed Beta. The community just sort of sprung up organically. It was a slam dunk early on for the CM's. All they had to do was not screw it up.

If the game hits Alpha, I'd do those again.

TGVirus

Firstclaimer
Ark Liege
Jul 28, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
And speaking of community.... has anybody tried to play FF recently? Oh man... quiet as as grave these new players are.
You can recognize a player from before the migration just by the fact that they say 'TY' after a revive !