What got me interested in FF

Really, this is what got me interested in FF:

1. The shifting battle lines via outposts being taken.
2. The world is open
3. Events are open to anybody, incursions, thumping, minor missions.
-I can be in for 5 minutes or 5 hours and still do something.
4. Working in groups either in open world missions or preset missions.
5. Having mobs do their mob thing
6. Having that Unreal Tournament feel
7. Crafting and progressions A+
8. Cosmetic and convenience items ingame payments
9. The meat shields, support classes
10. Day / night cycles.
- Rain or fog would of been awesome.
11. Empty space to create point defence thumping
- Needed more random enemies or patrols

Albeit, even if a game looks beautiful, without content, there's nothing.

Biz

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Jul 30, 2016
I got interested in the game when all you could do was pvp(which I, like the 97% of the population, didn't do), thump (not because we needed resources, just for the lols), destroy surface deposits (ditto) and take over watchtowers.
I remember logging on in the morning, seeing map being red all over and then slowly working my way through all captured towers. Also going around killing chosen 200-215m away on a Recon with a proper sniper rifle (IIRC it was on a T1 and before 0.6 patch). This would now barely register as "content", but was just fine when progression was short and sweet and you did not need to farm levels or reputation.

What kept me playing was the sci-fi setting, combat system where aim and positioning actually mattered, relatively OK progression, freedom of movement (both vertical with jets and glider from just about anywhere), decent relative strength of the players vs environment and just coral forest - being post-apocalypse does not mean everything has to be brown all over.

I REALLY did not like the item decay, that was a dealbreaker for me. Even though I sat on millions of resources. Constantly recrafting items, regardless how rarely I would actually have to do it, was just depressingly bad as a resource sink.

B2P model, if executed as anything even close to GuildWars 1, would be an amazing fit for the game.

- Sci-fi setting
- Good enough graphics
- Vertical freedom, gliding, jump-jetting, positioning
- NOT WoW-type/you-hit-me-I-hit-you combat, but actual reflex-based mechanics
- customization was good enough
- resources and currency accumulation seemed steep, but was actually fair, F2P
- free-roam, large open-world
- the pacing, fast combat and exploration
- Aero and her cute voice

Aug 14, 2016
Omnires is my name and my playing style. Not being class locked and having the ability to change frames while in the middle of combat was a plus for me. It allowed me to be me. (For the people who don't know. One of the things my name can translate into it is "every thing".)

Back in beta, the random events with a working overworld A.I. that watched what the players did and would try to counter them. If the game thought you were doing a little too well or that things were too easy for your level of skill it would change things up to make them harder. I miss the old days of pure chaos when groups of skilled players got together and game basically trolls them trying to kill them, for example, it was common for things like 3 tornadoes and 4 Chosen Death Squads to spawn around me and my friends when we hung out in an area for awhile. Not counting things like how tornadoes use to target people and thumpers and follow them. I loved the chaos.

There lots of other things I liked about the game in the early days before they started to cut out the fun stuff and nerf everything else to hell.

P.S. I agreed with everything in these old videos.

Last edited:

Wraithbane

Firstclaimer
Jul 27, 2016
I watched an interview at a long ago PAX, in which a certain Silver Tongued Bard, spoke about the war against the Chosen, the combat system, and his vision for the game.

Then of course there is this video. ^^

Not to mention those that came after it.

It was a wonderful dream, unfortunately, reality got in the way. Lets hope that things work out this time.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
These are my list why firefall caught my eye!

1) The Enviroments there was some in magma and ice and the jungle it made me want to discover more
2) The races i really liked those lgv races those where fun as you raced off cliffs and splat a bug or 2 and continued on to the next check point.
3) Defending thumpers because it gave us a purpose and other side quests!
4) Rocket Glider this was superb just like the rocketeer Zoooooooooooooooooom
5) Alt fire i liked this because you could use your weapon in a different way e.g. to fire a massive charged shot
6) The stories i liked because it fitted well with the setting and the arclight ship i only wish we could of flown this ship at some point and traveled to another world!
7) Pets/items they didnt do much but for the entertainment value of a croc with a straw hat and using the tiki torch was fun even as an end of celebration for beating the boss
8) The voices there was some nice one's there
9) The special events this was a big one for me i always tried to get on them it made me want to collect sets and be part of the epic battle to stop the chosen scum & their purplish farts
10) The music this set the mood and i loved this too
11) The firefall videos/live streams they made with interviews and sharing with the community what cool stuff to look forward to it showed a side that those involved in the game were just like us and wanted us to be part of it.

RickR

Oct 15, 2016
Seen an ad on youtube somewhere 3 years ago. Gotta say, Firefall is beyond my expectation back then. For me, it has a Japanese game design philosophy; Hard but beginner friendly. I wasn't need to ask people how to do this and that.

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
8. Cosmetic and convenience items ingame payments
So you would consider a game that doesn't have in game store that sold power ups, as a negative?

Interesting.

And my list:

Sci fi shooter.
Mostly horizontal progression, skill oriented.
Play with anyone anywhere regardless of level or gear.
Multiple core gameplay options - You could thump, do missions, just kill mobs, pvp, focus on random encounters or combination of all of these.
Dynamic events, bosses, missions in the world.
Freedom of movement in the world with jet boots, gliders, jump pads and abilities - although I should mention that I don't support extreme cases where you could glide forever using skills or high end jets. It's fun, sure, but sometime things have to be limited for the sake of over all balance and experience. I never got into crafting so half of the time I was running around with crappy stock jets and afterburner, and I still thought that freedom of movement was great.

Anyways in the beginning that game felt so good and fun, it was very enjoyable to just run around the world doing random stuff for hours without any specific goal, which I have found quite difficult to do in similar games.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
-The darkness of the night (before they changed that)
-The semi horizontal progression with min/max
-Jumpjets (original before they were nerfed)
-The freedom to roam
-Incursions and Invasions
-Watchtower battles (especially the ones at Sunken Harbor)
-The alt fire on my Firecat before they changed it
-Things put in the game (beta) without notifying us (the holy crap moment)

Oct 18, 2016
-Good graphics
-Interesting story alongside open world
-Combat system where skill, aim, and movement matter
-Mini events where everyone fights together
-You feel like a powerful character (kinda like MC in Halo)
-Though powerful, you still had to be careful
-Ability to glide (I would kill to be able to really fly)
-All of the ideals put together is what probably attracted me the most

Daevic

Omni Ace
Jul 26, 2016
Devil's Tusk
what drew me in was this, I loved the story, the manga I mean, I had read it first and was like "what is this? theres a game to this!??" I started to play the game and fell in love the the ambiences, the atmosphere, the mobs were wild and would attack structures, I had to fight to take things back, the game felt alive. More so then your standard Spawn point, here and here and nothing will ever change, I was simply amazed how dynamic it was. I could pick a direction, start walking and find 10 things I could do.

Deathsquads were simply the best, it was almost an accomplishment, like I had done so much that the chosen were now out to get me specifically. :D though I knew it was just kinda random luck it still felt cool.

The Jumpjets were the awesome, they game me a feeling of epicness like I could do anything. you never really know how much your missing until you watch yourself and 4 of your friends fly across a battlefield and into a group of chosen and just start fighting like mad. i think to myself, "in wow or tera, I'd never experience something as cool as this."

The one thing I had always wanted to hear though was conversations between myself and aero, to get a feel for who I was, where I had come from, far to often the savior of humanity is "some guy/girl." or "Random mercenary #2" fresh out the academy. I was a little saddend by that.

Kouyioue

Aug 1, 2016
I wouldn't mind having our player character being able TO TALK. Ever play the first Crysis in 2007 ? Heck, there's even personalized VAs for Halo Reach and Deus Ex 2 depending on the gender you chose. Didn't add much but it was a fun little detail :)

Oh yeah! And the beta stuff that got thrown in without being in the changelogs and stuff, those were a fun surprise !

Last edited:

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
I know people were pretty torn on having a voice like Aero in the game. I don't plan to do one for Em-8ER. But maybe she'll appear *somewhere*
Are you kidding? Aero was one of the few voices I could stand; she was head and shoulders above the acting of most of FF's voices..for the most part. she had a few cringeworthy lines now and then, but overall she sounded more alive and believable than 90% of the ingame actors. After launch, several actors became much more enjoyable, and new ones popped up that actually sounded pretty good (Wiley and Scarlet spring to mind) but a lot of them just made my ears bleed. If you must get only one FF voice actor, get Aero.

Just...PLEASE don't bring in the 'accord command' guy. I have never heard a more rushed, flat, monotonous line reading than from that guy. I wanted to drop my HKM on that wannabe santa claus asshole every time I heard his %*&^ing christmas puns.

Jul 27, 2016
Just...PLEASE don't bring in the 'accord command' guy. I have never heard a more rushed, flat, monotonous line reading than from that guy. I wanted to drop my HKM on that wannabe santa claus asshole every time I heard his %*&^ing christmas puns.
Some might argue that that is the point of the voiceover, to be in line with military regulations, to be monotone and serious.

Aug 14, 2016
If we are going to talk about VO. I would like to point this out. There are reasons why most of the voices you that give you information over the phone and radio tend to be female.

For the people who don't know the history of the reasons why. Here is a part of a video about the history of the phone.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
If we are going to talk about VO. I would like to point this out. There are reasons why most of the voices you that give you information over the phone and radio tend to be female.

For the people who don't know the history of the reasons why. Here is a part of a video about the history of the phone.
high piercing sound in the background but i prefer a really cool cybernetic voice

even a dog voice with subtitles for fun

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Some might argue that that is the point of the voiceover, to be in line with military regulations, to be monotone and serious.
Nononono; you don't understand. I KNOW people who are serious and monotone (my current boss at work is.) I KNOW military folk, personally, across several generations of people (my dad, some friends my age, and a couple who are my junior by decades.) They still sound like people. They are tolerable to listen to and I can even get along with them.

THIS GUY-->
(the santa NPC who's a bit hard to hear--there are so few quality vids of Firefall...) makes me want to bite him in the throat and pull every time I hear his lines. He did a terrible acting job and there is no justifying it.