What do you hope for Ember to be?

Skube

Firstclaimer
Hypedration
Jul 26, 2016
www.youtube.com
Well it'll be what FireFall was suppose to be, a Sandbox shooter in which skill mattered that anyone can play and is focused on gathering resources and to craft and maintain good gear if i'm not mistaken. And Ember won't be Free-to-Play

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Give me a game headed in the original Firefall direction. The game will grow with the community input and love through the years, a real testament to time.

Jul 26, 2016
An open world sandbox MMO with world building and open warfare for region conquest and defense. A modular style construction setup for character development and growth, base outfitting, vehicle manufacture, and resource gathering. A world filled with open ended world events not single stage but multiple stage with consiquences for failure and rewards for successs; not all of which soloable and most not likely to be. Enemies remaining our enemies and our conquest involving raids on their strongholds and super weapons; not just random bugs.

Mostly... Just wanna have fun.

Jul 27, 2016
I just wanna look like a badass and feel like a badass. Though, I'd hope whatever customization that comes out allows badassery to take many forms.

I guess I'll keep it that simple for my expectations for Ember. I had all sorts of various expectations for Firefall that was built on concepts or ideas that fell through or never got much traction or changed drastically. I'm just going to go with the flow and see if the game hooks me or not.

MattVid

Commander
Jul 27, 2016
I would be fine with a beta version of Firefall in 2012 for a good starting point ;) As long as there are Jet Packs and Afterburner ... that should keep me occupied for hours.

I guess, I would want Ember to live up to the vision that Firefall had back in 2010/2011 (or whenever I first heard about it). It fell short of basically everything that was talked about initially.

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
I hope Ember grows steadily into a free-roam, futuristic, cartoonish game, with a high focus on intrinsic reward (fun) and deferred gratification (gathering and crafting, not loot). One milestone at a time.

It's a damn shame a game like (sandbox) Firefall wasn't already made a long time ago. The closest we currently have are survival games.

Imo, it's gotta have a high emphasis on teamwork and not just about shooting stuff or doing something. Some of my best moments in Firefall, i had simply hanging out around the printer.

This got absolutely ruined at 1.0. The carrot became more and more important and the social aspect drifted.

Jul 27, 2016
I hope Ember grows steadily into a free-roam, futuristic, cartoonish game, with a high focus on intrinsic reward (fun) and deferred gratification (gathering and crafting, not loot). One milestone at a time.

It's a damn shame a game like (sandbox) Firefall wasn't already made a long time ago. The closest we currently have are survival games.

Imo, it's gotta have a high emphasis on teamwork and not just about shooting stuff or doing something. Some of my best moments in Firefall, i had simply hanging out around the printer.

This got absolutely ruined at 1.0. The carrot became more and more important and the social aspect drifted.
I like this picture.The firefall still looked so beautiful.

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
Wait, i'll repost something i posted on the FF forums, again, i'm a little weird so you'll have to follow me on this one;

I actually wasn't going to defend durability in this thread, merely pointing out that this type of changes is the inevitable outcome of its disposal. But since you were so kind of opening that particular lid, i'll gladly jump down that rabbit hole one more time.

The baby and the bathwater fallacy has been refuted many times. Yes we all agree that the old system was too much X. But "the dog barks a bit much, let's just put it down and get a cat"isn't the correct answer. People still only do the content that is the most profitable. It's why we can never get enough of them together to push back wall park. No carrot. So the effect is the same, only the presentation differs.

The changes at launch to make Firefall as generic MMO as possible but with guns and jetpacks drove away a lot of people too. Your view is: game is how i like it = therefor the game is better. Not everyone shares that particular view, if you enjoy open world gameplay, crafting, exploration (hunting mats) NOT raiding all the time and have no interest in E-peens, launch Firefall probably wasn't the game for you.

Making Firefall extremely casual unfriendly.

I didn't like decay, thumping or even crafting all that much. However, i understood its purpose. I wasn't amongst them celebrating its death one day and then being angry and sad the next when R5 was no longer willing to shower me in resources and Firefall no longer was, a Craftapalooza.

See, currently R5 is catering to the typical current gen MMORPG player. Most people don't consider the simple dinging sound of leveling up alone as progression. Their brains do not trigger a response from that. They do not consider finding the exact same weapon, but higher ilvl, finding a new weapon. Their brain has not been conditioned to respond to it. No, this requires a special type of person. Someone willing to do the same boring tedious crap over and over and over for the most mundane and trivial of rewards.

R5 chose for the MMORPG players, though their reasoning behind it may not be what you would want to hear.

Ever wondered what R5's current monetization plan is? They don't sell a lot of new items do they? Or why they give you free slot machine tokens at every job board? Or my favorite, give you one when you spend money on the game? Let's just say Timmy will have to share his room with an addict for a while...

I'll have my P2W with extra pay please, go easy on the win. Let the grinders pay for the bills.

Hey i ain't judging anyone nor MMO players nor R5. I myself can resist anything but temptation.

The main reason i liked decay, is because i liked paying R5 through the printer. It was a fair deal imo. Equivalent exchange.

If i were lead designer of Firefall the first thing i would do is reintroduce decay. But i would be crafty about it. One of R5's biggest mistakes imo was being honest with their costumers and try to reason with them. Big mistake. I would for example replace repairing battleframes with Crystite, use Cy as a fuel. There would be different stages, lower stages would require less Cy, higher more. So people could willingly choose how much to put in at any time. Most would run on lvl1 for example in the open world etc, but for raids ramp it up to lvl9.

Crystite would only be found in the open world, in my Firefall everyone's put to work. Either as resource sink or by putting them on the market. No slackers, you will pay for your server time.

But why stop there, i could have so much more... I want more. Current R5 is thinking too small!

Let's see. This gives the ones obsessed with power something, but i can do better... Maybe turning it into a gem, simplifying the entire q1000 constraint system to one item. One to rule them all. The glow of the battleframe could be affected by it too. Giving those vanity people sometinh to drool over (hey!!! that's me you jerk). This would give crafters something to do, people who want open world and exploration (resource hunt), those powerfreeks.

Well this is coming along nicely... But i want moar. MOAR I SAY!!!!

Crafters want to craft various things, not just one even if it could have a huge variety of forms. It's not enough.

How about....

Dropped gear has no decay.
  • Crafted gear has a slight boost over non crafted, not so much stats, only a little. But it allows to be customized like the old system. It doesn't work with modules. It also has constraints so you can go balls on tanking your dread, but it will be very slow, guaranteed. Or DMG on your Assault but then it won't have much Jet energy. There's always a trade off.

• Once your gear runs out of repair pool, they do not instantly break. Instead they start to bleed stats slowly. You will never end up with a broken gun all of a sudden. First it did 1100 DMG vs the 1000 of the non crafted variety, this will then bleed and after X amount of time stop at 800. The gun never becomes useless. It just degrades.

• Crafted Battleframe Cores have a gem slot. A non-slotted BF core has roughly 20% less stats than non crafted one. Slotted with a gem it has about 10% more. *keep in mind the numbers can vary, this is just as an example*

• If the gem is not removed and replaced before it is empty, the gem will fuse in the slot and will make the BF core go into overdrive, pushing it just that little bit more. Nothing crazy here. But once that additional pool is used, the gem breaks resulting in a BF core with 20% less than the non crafted variety, but with a broken slot.

• Gems can be used to resurrect a crafted gun or ability a second time. However, this fuses the gem in the gun permanently meaning it will be the last time you use it. When the end of the repair pool runs out, the gun doesn't instantly starts bleeding stats again. It first goes into "crazy mode". Basically, your gun is gonna die but before it goes, you're going to have a good laugh out of it. This could be all sort of stuff, nothing is too crazy. Can't last too long though, otherwise it becomes abusable.

I call it: Eating our vegetables, the here comes the choo choo train method.

Pretty sure i'm pushing my luck with that last part. But sometimes you just want to see how much you can get away with.

Essentially turning resources into a drug.

STILL NOT ENOUGH!!! IT'S HAUNTING ME, I WANT IT ALL.

There's still people out there not playing my game.

In my ideal Firefall we would return to our old diagonal progression system where leveling implies tweaking your build. The old 2x powercurve but all the other stats being the real meat and potatoes of progression.

So this but simpler.

Coral Forest and Sertao would be the "hub" areas. They are home. Coral being Tier I, Sertao II. The primary goal of those zones would be to level up but also to thump, craft and use the market. These ideas would be extended upon with professions etc. Non of this press C crap.

There would constantly be a new pocket where R5 is building the new zone behind the curtain and we have to do a mix of grinding and fighting to eventually push back the melding. Once a new zone is fully opened we get access to new ability and weapon blueprints and access to new rare crafting components. This would be a perpetual event, where every time R5 opens up a zone, they open up a new pocket for us to salivate over. There would be multiple pockets open at any given time, so we never know which of them will be next.

Because of item decay or consumables or charged items because who are we kidding, they're all the same. There would be a constant need to go into each zone and then return home.

I call this revolutionary idea: a community...

It seems like a cute idea but it's actually a very rough first draft. All designed around preying on peoples biggest weakness. A sense of purpose and belonging. The design philosophy would revolve around that: leveling, loot, etc any type of content really is only the bait. The hook of an MMO is in increasing, random or descending order of importance:

The bonds you form with that place, the bonds you form with your character, the bonds you form with other people.

As you can see i even put some curiosity in there as cherry on top. I like cherries.

Essentially turning Firefall into a cult.

I would also dismantle the current apple project as about half of them are d*cks and replace it with a more secret organization version who's job it is to ensure people form bonds as fast and often as possible. There are no titles etc here, only code, symbolism and secret handshakes.

Professions would work with ranks etc, further more increasing the bond one can have with his/her character.

http://ogeeku.com/blog/2013/08/08/5-reasons-mmos-hard-to-quit/

Last edited: