What art style will Ember have?

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
Is it going to be similar to FireFall, cel shaded looking and inspired by manga, or is it going to be something different?

Just curious, since the only couple images we have that more or less might be showing what the game will look like, are pretty similar to the FireFall. I don't have a problem with the way FireFall looked, but since this is a brand new game, there is an opportunity to try something different.

Also kinda along the lines of the art style, but when it comes to character designs (and this probably not very popular opinion), but I am not big fan of the piece of art with the female frame in a skinsuit with over exaggerated ass. Sometime I feel like it would be refreshing to see a game where armor is just armor. Like they don't have to be particularly realistic, but the point of the design should focus on the functionality over hanging out tits and ass in a skinsuits.

Here is an example of what I am talking about (from Natural Selection 2), although its a little bit blend, but it helps get the point across.

Anyways, I thought that a lot of people liked how FireFall looked back in the days, however it has been sometime, what do you guys think, does that art style still holds pretty well today? Should it be changed, improved, modified in some ways? What a about characters and even world design? Should it try for realistic look (which is probably more expansive and harder to make), or little bit "cartoony" look is all right with you?

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
Heya Vlad
The exact Art style is still being decided on. Some of the firefall-esque Udon Style may still be a part of it but at least some clear differences are likely.

Jul 31, 2016
I like the Natural Selection 2 style alot.
The old FF style was cool...but to me it appeared big and clunky when you were near "human stuff" cities, vehicles etc. almost like....playing with a LEGO city but with Playmobil figures.......if that made sense :confused:

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
what about The Leg? on Engi-style Omniframes
You mean the one leg with skin exposed? It was just tacky, like no reason other than 'hey we have to do something with this so lets not cover one leg'. It's didn't particularly looked good, or made sense, and was not very creative, just tacky.

NightStroke

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Grummz said that he isn't planning on having the omniframes be exosuits. His description was something between an exosuit and a mini-mech(he referenced "landmates" from Appleseed) where the pilot wears a recon-style bodysuit and is visible within the mini-mech, protected by a shield. When the player transitions into a vehicle, the pilot will leave the mech and enter the vehicle.