Vulkan API

Discussion in 'Ember & The Unreal Engine' started by mouk3y, Jul 28, 2016.

1. mouk3y

mouk3y Deepscanner

2. Zarkopafilis

Zarkopafilis Member

If linux support is planned, I'd vouch for it! But the drivers and the whole system is still experimental. Protostar demo on the s7 was cool indeed....

If I was making something I wouldn't consider it a priority. I'd say they get the game up to speed and mess around with Unreal's RHI (Render Hardware Interface) later to enable Vlukan!

iClustaFlux and phoenix like this.
  3. 0V3RKILL

0V3RKILL Terraformer

yes it must have vulkan please. not cause I use AMD. I just don't like Microsoft having this much power. You want this game to run on everything

Tystarchius, Pandagnome and mouk3y like this.
  4. DarkCisum

DarkCisum Member

It's so annoying how people hear some new tech buzz and suddenly everything MUST use it! No idea what it really does, nor how it works, nor what goes into using it, but itz cool! and more FPS! OMG!

Let's just first wait and see how development goes and keep using OpenGL (or if you must DirectX) which can easily do what Vulkan does, is A LOT more documented and real world tested and requires A LOT less coding (= less bugs). Mabye in two or three years when Ember has become more than just some poster and lots of hype, UE will have proper support, supported hardware will be more common and Vulkan has actually been used by other studios as well.

#LessHype

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  5. Kouyioue

Kouyioue Active Member

Heeeeey, since I come from directX where can I learn Vulkan ?

mouk3y likes this.
  6. Zarkopafilis

Zarkopafilis Member

Join the linux side! Viva la revolution!

Wow, so you come from DX and you ahven't heard of vulkan ? thats strange but don'
    t worry! HLSL is the best shading language out there and there is a crosscompiler for every api out there (including vulkan-which uses spir-v :) ). If you're already experienced read the spec, don't waste your time with (potentially) outdated and long tutorials

iClustaFlux and TGVirus like this.
  7. ObsoleteVodka

ObsoleteVodka Active Member

Yes, cuz AMD. :p

mouk3y likes this.
  8. 0V3RKILL

0V3RKILL Terraformer

9. IAmJohnGalt

IAmJohnGalt Deepscanner Em-8ER Contributor

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?105760-How-to-use-Vulkan-in-Unreal-Engine-4

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Vulkan

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2016/02/22/vulkan-unreal-engine-4/1

Epic Games has announced that it has added support for the Vulkan 1.0 low-level API to the popular Unreal Engine 4, making it the first major game engine vendor to do so.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  10. iClustaFlux

iClustaFlux Tsi-Hu Hunter

Vulkan?! And end up with a game that can actually make good use of multi core CPU's?!? o_O

WITCHCRAFT! :eek:

*passes out in an overly dramatic fashion*

11. NoahDVS

NoahDVS Active Member

Vulcan doesn't guarantee good use of multi-core CPUs, but it can bring improvements. Developers still have to write multi-threaded code, which is not easy.

12. psychronicle

psychronicle New Member

Compatibility should take precedence over the latest and greatest.

Last thing Em8er imo needs is massive tech issues that'll require resources to fix.

squidz0rz likes this.