Video Update 8 - Choose the THMPR Laugh

What laugh would you prefer as the default laugh of the THMPR

• Original Sinister Laugh (1:41 mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtZuyCfd7c0)

Votes: 83 33.2%
  • New Laugh Number 1

Votes: 75 30.0%
  • New Laugh Number 2

Votes: 19 7.6%
  • New Laugh Number 3

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • None of the above, make a new laugh!

Votes: 53 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
Fantastic update presentation and input opportunity!

Lore additions - Awesome... Getting to know "our" future game better is elating.

As others have stated and @Grummz has already noted; The "Sinnister" is the current best laugh and all need work before final decisions are made. Some great suggestions have been added for this as well; (@LegionPL , Keep multiple options available in-game for player to choose specific THMPR personality via settings.)
Though this could definitely be part of a future project, how about more than just "A" laugh for THMPR personality? Why not a few remarks/animations and they vary slightly between the options which the player chooses from? Obviously a larger and longer term goal though would absolutely add a lot of character to the game.
I would also say make the laughs a little shorter, they seem a bit long for a general laugh, they are more set as "Darn good joke" or "gut buster" laugh lengths at this point. Honestly, how about pallete of 30 or so that can be weeded down to the few used above? Possibly this is even a monetary or a player mod option for later?

Hoping how off the plasma cannon seemed is due to the projectile drop thing I think the sound is a little off too, the splash damage at the end of the shot was a nice animation. The rocket launcher, wasn't it supposed to be be shoulder fired rockets? I think that target was missed. So, aside from the rockets firing from the wrong location (in my viewpoint), The first second of the fire animation needs work, the projectiles go from the barrel (5 - 10% of view area) to full size (60 - 70% of view area) too quickly, it makes it appear as if (6) 3" rockets just came out of one 1/2" gun barrel, I get that this is fantasy but that is a little over the top for Sci-Fi.

I like the Tsi-Hu model. I was expecting the tentacles to be about a foot longer, given height of Tsi-Hu of about 6' the tentacles reaching around 9'.

My only comment for the human animation would be head movement other than stage two running, looks great otherwise.

4pothesc4ry

Terraformer
Jan 26, 2017
US
Good choices are being made. If I had my way, our thumpers would have a lower pitched more guttural sound; imagine If Jabba the Hut was a robot. But that's just my take and I'm sure pretty much anything (as long as it's not grating) will grow on me. Keep up the good work. I am REALLY looking forward to playing the vertical slice! Thanks for the additional lore; looking forward to more!

Grummz

$6k package
Community Manager
Ember Dev
Jul 25, 2016

Lore additions - Awesome... Getting to know "our" future game better is elating.

As others have stated and @Grummz has already noted; The "Sinnister" is the current best laugh and all need work before final decisions are made. Some great suggestions have been added for this as well; (@LegionPL , Keep multiple options available in-game for player to choose specific THMPR personality via settings.)
Though this could definitely be part of a future project, how about more than just "A" laugh for THMPR personality? Why not a few remarks/animations and they vary slightly between the options which the player chooses from? Obviously a larger and longer term goal though would absolutely add a lot of character to the game.
I would also say make the laughs a little shorter, they seem a bit long for a general laugh, they are more set as "Darn good joke" or "gut buster" laugh lengths at this point. Honestly, how about pallete of 30 or so that can be weeded down to the few used above? Possibly this is even a monetary or a player mod option for later?

Hoping how off the plasma cannon seemed is due to the projectile drop thing I think the sound is a little off too, the splash damage at the end of the shot was a nice animation. The rocket launcher, wasn't it supposed to be be shoulder fired rockets? I think that target was missed. So, aside from the rockets firing from the wrong location (in my viewpoint), The first second of the fire animation needs work, the projectiles go from the barrel (5 - 10% of view area) to full size (60 - 70% of view area) too quickly, it makes it appear as if (6) 3" rockets just came out of one 1/2" gun barrel, I get that this is fantasy but that is a little over the top for Sci-Fi.

I like the Tsi-Hu model. I was expecting the tentacles to be about a foot longer, given height of Tsi-Hu of about 6' the tentacles reaching around 9'.

My only comment for the human animation would be head movement other than stage two running, looks great otherwise.
Well there is no sound on any of the weapons right now, also missiles will come from shoulders for sure! Right now they come from gun just for convenience, we were just getting the basic framework in place. TY for the great feedback!

Proto

Jan 26, 2017
Love this new video update. Lore was awesome and sounded like if done right can really hit the chords down deep for an amazing story. I really think the original laugh is the best for what I would want. But, someone on the youtube comments suggested the other voices being purchasable. I think that is a great Idea. People will pay money to customize stuff like that. I think A great way for him to really bond with the players would be for him to be able to carry the player when not in combat. I would squeel for that!!!

Also I love the stop animation on the human male. You can feel the momentum as he is stopping. Good little touch.

MI53RE

Base Commander
Ark Liege
Jul 4, 2017
Really nice one!

Regarding the laugh I'm really not sure about it, out of the 3 I would say number one is best, still I don't feel that convinced by it :/ I really don't know why but it kind of feel off.

Also one question I might have missed but will the T.H.M.P.R. be able to see it's I.A. customized later ? (voices pack) Or will there be only one I.A. available for all? (As you were mentionning the 'pet' things)

Anyway keep going you're doing great !!!! :)

ByteMyAscii

Get Counted for Stretch!
Aug 8, 2016
Pighead Elderberry sums up my thoughts too on the laughs.
1 just feels small, but is by far the best of the 3 options for the size and form of the thumper.
A deeper tone to it could work I feel.
2 sounds like a PC screen laughing at me.
3 I think could perhaps be a fit for some sort of companion pet, or other small annoyance mocking a player.

Salpygidis

May 1, 2018
Personally I'm not a fan of any of them. But laugh #1 is the best for now. You have to realize how often people will have to listen to this voice. I think the tone should come down a little bit, and it should be more human like over machine. You want the bot to be more like an ally then a pet imo.

LegionPL

Apr 17, 2018

Well there is no sound on any of the weapons right now, also missiles will come from shoulders for sure! Right now they come from gun just for convenience, we were just getting the basic framework in place. TY for the great feedback!
I was thinking along similar lines, voice personality can be expanded to behaviour changes.
It might be far future but its intresting feature. Like for example the sinister personality could have the options like agressive and evasive.
It could try to get the attention of monsters from you or focus on evading thier attacks. The logical one could have the passive and defensive options, it wont be intrested in monsters around until certain health lvl, then it would run away from dangerous area. Deffensive could try to keep monters off itself if they get near.

In sound topic i would gladly see a distinctive sonic boom when the drill robot is called in.
For some immersion and sciecne friendly stuff.

And as to the weapons i propose a rocket variant that in oposition to swarm its like 3-6 charges that would have to be activated manualy but
when activated they would detect enemies in radius and atack them one at a time automaticaly. Basicaly the swarm but slower, over time, and with automatic lock on. I magine it as a long tube on the mechs back or somewhere.
3:00s mark

GameItDerp

May 1, 2018
(The Thumpers Laugh... personally a Laugh for essentially a Robot of that Size, just kinda ruins it for Me. It takes away the menace and epicness of controlling a Metal Giant. But if I had to choose, I would go with 3 because it is the least cringy One, but it'll need a bit more work I think. I can imagine it Ingame just shreading my Ears with that highpitch, take Bastion's Laugh or something similiar.)

Good Evening,

I really enjoyed Firefall (too bad it had to go.), so I'm interested in Em8er. But I have my doubts about the Game Concept.

The Terraforming Aspect that is. I imagine it like a new Minecraft World, with the Spawn/HUB and then the vast OpenWorld where you can terraform and so forth. But would'n that mean that eventually the Map is so clutured with Buildings/Terraforming that it will be impossible for Anyone to run it smoothly, or straight up annoy People (Earth D*cks everywhere for Example)? Or is there no Freedom to what you can Terraform? Like "Place Terraformer at X -100 | Y +34³, and defend it until Completion." and You do that 5k more Times and you won the Game.

How is this going to work?

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
Do you guys like my narration?
=====
LORE/STORY/NARRATION

I thought that it was just fine!

I thought the lore/story was good as well.

One thing that came to mind was that ALL gatestriders are from the same planet. It makes sense in the lore because the Tsi-hu smashed that one planet and made them homeless, but if all gatestriders are to be from just the one planet I think there should be some explanation for why that is the case.

Why are no other species as gatestriders? Was intelligent life ONLY on that one planet in the galaxy?

If there are other intelligent space faring beings around, did the original gatestriders keep the tech away from them?

I think it is a little bit long limiting for the game to only have the one single race of beings from the one single planet as the sole entities in the universe that gatestride.

=====
DESTRUCTIBLE ENVIRONMENT

I remember Red Faction Guerrilla where we could smash just about everything to make if collapse. That sure was fun!

I would love love love to see destructible environment as much as possible!

I always smash every pot and jug in Diablo and smashed every Hisser Mound in Firefall even if I had to cross the whole map to do it!

1000% for destructibles!

1000% for dismemberment!

Daynen

Aug 3, 2016
Okay, couple things:
1st: Still not sure about the THMPR laughs. Having a tinny, mechanical beepy voice only makes me think of Bastion from Overwatch. Having the original "sinister one" doesn't sound much like a laugh. There's bound to be a perfectly memorable voice for the big guy; maybe it's just too early to tell what it is yet.

2nd: Your narration was solid, Mark. Doesn't sound like a recital, doesn't sound like you're bored or emotionally detached; it sounds like you're telling a story--YOUR story. Good work.

3rd: Damn man, I know people are eager for Ember, but you need some time off. You look exhausted.

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
=====
LORE/STORY/NARRATION

I thought that it was just fine!

I thought the lore/story was good as well.

One thing that came to mind was that ALL gatestriders are from the same planet. It makes sense in the lore because the Tsi-hu smashed that one planet and made them homeless, but if all gatestriders are to be from just the one planet I think there should be some explanation for why that is the case.

Why are no other species as gatestriders? Was intelligent life ONLY on that one planet in the galaxy?

If there are other intelligent space faring beings around, did the original gatestriders keep the tech away from them?

I think it is a little bit long limiting for the game to only have the one single race of beings from the one single planet as the sole entities in the universe that gatestride.

=====
DESTRUCTIBLE ENVIRONMENT

I remember Red Faction Guerrilla where we could smash just about everything to make if collapse. That sure was fun!

I would love love love to see destructible environment as much as possible!

I always smash every pot and jug in Diablo and smashed every Hisser Mound in Firefall even if I had to cross the whole map to do it!

1000% for destructibles!

1000% for dismemberment!
just a quick clarification on 1 thing u got wrong story wise
the gate striders are humans as the rest of all, they are just the most rugged of all explorers. they had a planet they called their own because they were mostly freelancers hired by other factions to do the "hard job" of first contact/terraform/explore. and their planet was destroyed by other humans who were like the "former rulers of earth" who fled into space and prohibited to anyone to come near them. some gate striders accidentaly did and the creeps retaliated by destroying their planet. that is why we (the remaining gate striders) are colonizing ember but we have inadvertedly awoken the tsi-hu, and now...IT'S WAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...or something
:D

BuffetRaider

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jun 30, 2017
I feel like the human sprint animation is a bit off. He's hunched over too far unless you wanted to have a "crouched sprint" (i.e. toggle on crouch, then sprint). For the normal running animation i feel like he should be more upright.

@Aphaz No, he got it right...those "former rulers of Earth" are the Enshigi.

Em-8er happens when one of the unlinked gates sends them to an Enshigi-controlled system. They notice the gate and decimate the Gatestrider fleet (and the Gatestriders' home planet) and they're forced to land on Em-8er. This particular planet was under a stasis field because the Enshigi didn't want to deal with it. The remaining Gatestriders disturbed the stasis field and the Tsi-hu started to wake up.

Aphaz

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
@BuffetRaider read his post and then mine... ;)
what i ment is that it wasn't the tsi-hu that smashed the gatestriders' planet; that they were part of the human race but with like a planet of their own as they are not part of any "other faction of humans" is what i understood so far by reading the pdf that was gifted to us...; also i couldn't remember how the enshigi were called at the time i wrote it...lol...but they are "the former rulers of earth" according to said pdf and they "went away and forbade contact by/with the other factions", and yes, some GSs (GateStriders ;)) did accidentally end up in enshigi territory (thus geting the GSs planet destroyed in retaliation) and no, the enshigi have nothing to do with the tsi-hu (maybe there is some kind of secret connection between the two but i don't atm remember reading so in the pdf...) or i read the pdf wrong...lol

Aug 2, 2016
Hey i like the idea of some personality to the mech but what about different personalities.
If we were presented the "sinister" one, can we have the overly serious, logical and a bit intimidating one?
I bet some people would prefere it.

...Snip...
Exactly what I was thinking. If you want the player to become attached to the mech like a pet, one of the best ways is to make it a truly customizable character. Then it becomes their thmpr. Eventualy, you'll want to give the option to choose a personality for it. Oh, say... when building/crafting it.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I like the voice of the alien in this clip

Then i'd like to hear a female voice and laugh also
Those all sound good to me, but quite different from one another.

That short film was very nice as a short film.

The 3rd voice at first seemed hard to understand, but not after a short while. The 3rd seemed to have real personality.

The 1st was nice but sounded like many other alien voices out there (kind of raspy and deep). It did not seem to match the shape of the alien exactly as the alien appeared to have a smallish chest and vocal area (if it spoke like humans physiologically).

I vote for #3.

Are we voting... whoops... no voting here.

BuffetRaider

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jun 30, 2017
@BuffetRaider read his post and then mine... ;)
what i ment is that it wasn't the tsi-hu that smashed the gatestriders' planet; that they were part of the human race but with like a planet of their own as they are not part of any "other faction of humans" is what i understood so far by reading the pdf that was gifted to us...; also i couldn't remember how the enshigi were called at the time i wrote it...lol...but they are "the former rulers of earth" according to said pdf and they "went away and forbade contact by/with the other factions", and yes, some GSs (GateStriders ;)) did accidentally end up in enshigi territory (thus geting the GSs planet destroyed in retaliation) and no, the enshigi have nothing to do with the tsi-hu (maybe there is some kind of secret connection between the two but i don't atm remember reading so in the pdf...) or i read the pdf wrong...lol
The Tsi-hu are ancient, older than the humans (Gatestrider or Enshigi). The stasis field was created by others of their kind as the result of a civil war. The Gatestrider terraforming effort is eroding the stasis field, hence the Tsi-hu retaliating against the invaders trying to stake a claim to their homeworld. The Enshigi, as far as I can tell just left the planet alone after observing the state of the Tsi-hu.

Status
Not open for further replies.