Video Update 10 - Test Levels, Omniframe Redux & Tsi-Hu Lore

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Prossibly not a popular opinion though: How about a larger Jet Energy pool, but no regen?
You'd either have to savage partially used cells, in-field crafting low grade fuel/energy or hightail it back to an Ammo station.
I liked the idea of the fuel being a more long term managed resource, in the Attack on Titan games. As it leads to making combat (whether or not to engage or retreat) decisions and desperate situations (if mismanaged).
It would increase the variety of world with more world props (dead patrols, downed mechs etc.) and a useful reward for missions. Having the crafting of Jet energy for dire times (so players aren't completely out of options).

The limiting factor, if needed, could be explained away by heat management - since we're in mechs, it would bring alittle bit more Battletech style of mech. That way you keep the limited tank currently offered by the small pool that regenerates, but you also have to concern your self with fuel burning in the long term.

HOWEVER this only makes sense if you want to bring back the Ammo limitation from Firefall. If ammo isn't a problem I don't see why fuel would be an issue. Just some food for thought.

Hope to see Em8er succeed, where Firefall 0.91v left off ! ! !
I like this idea, but I think it needs to be implemented differently:

@Grummz said at one point that all "ammo" comes from the oniframe's energy. Question is, where does that energy come from? answer: fuel. It is consumed constantly by our frame for everything we do, walking, jumpjets, gliding, fighting, skimming, etc. and to replenish it we would need to refine a very common resource (one found on the moon base I proposed here: https://forums.em8er.com/threads/idea-for-starting-point.1209/) and refuel at a station. There could be mechanics such as the amount of fuel/time consumed is decreased for lighter weight, or you could put mods in your frame that make it more fuel efficient, or even a support role that somehow replenishes your fuel (this would be a good thing for engineers to do instead of ammo.)

Last edited:

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
IMO having to re-fuel during wildly chaotic mass invasions/combat would slow down both movement and game play in Em.8ER, therefore I'm not a fan. However in a game where the both the movement and game play is slower (ex. pause for strafing; cover style shooter), then I think re-fueling for jet pack use would be a very good option.

Once

The Dollar Club
Feb 11, 2017
Would love to see more updates with the gliders and such, it's great to see it again and it's looking good so far already. Just want to see what's possible with the "handbrakes".

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
One thing that has always bugged me a bit about FPS wargames is the movement. Now I freely admit I have never personally been in a combat situation but...isn't the first rule of combat to "keep your head down"? most games have you standing up straight and running forward, fully presented to any enemy that wants to take a pot shot at you. Or squatting down on your haunches and doing an awkward looking waddle forward.

Now I am not saying that outside of combat you might not run fully extended but perhaps when your in combat you should hunch your frame down and try to minimize your target area? Maybe lean forward a bit at the waist when running. If there is any sort of cover system perhaps do some tuck and role into cover animations? One of the downsides I can see to the omniframe is the lack of a viable prone position. Anyways that is my two cents..paragraphs, whatever.

As for the gliding, it looks pretty sweet so far. I do want to weigh in and mention that perhaps as long as the angle is shallow enough, once you get low enough to the ground our frames should enter into an energy saving mode that utilizes ground effect to keep us in the air indefinitely (provided you don't face plant into something obviously). At that point pressing a dedicated flight keye key would play a landing animation. Also I should say that I really hope that we can use a jumpjet propelled forward push to bring out our wings at any time and not be forced to use gilder pads like I remember from firefall, I hated those. Use the dedicated flight key to also launch players into flight mode. If the omniframe expends all stored energy into a single forward thrust and deploys the wings simultaneously we can either launch directly into ground effect mode or into free flight depending on how high we are above ground.

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
Now I am not saying that outside of combat you might not run fully extended but perhaps when your in combat you should hunch your frame down and try to minimize your target area? Maybe lean forward a bit at the waist when running. If there is any sort of cover system perhaps do some tuck and role into cover animations? One of the downsides I can see to the omniframe is the lack of a viable prone position. Anyways that is my two cents..paragraphs, whatever.
This is an excellent idea. I can just imagine dodging behind a rock and firing my weapon at the enemy, while it either tries in vain to shoot at me or gets into melee range. Of course, since most of the enemies will have melee attacks, a cover mechanic may not ALWAYS be useful, but it would still be very nice to have.

bengal

Death Reaper
Jul 27, 2016
i dont know if its doable but with the skill of the person gliding, having retractable "landing gear" in essence roller skates to maintain speed if that player wanted, & if they wanted to just stop they dont deploy the gear.

love the lore, but my thought is that maybe there be a little remorse in going to far & F#$king up!

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
Nice update, a little hard to hear on mobile.

The wind currents we used in FF I thought were... okay, using the map to chose your flight path so you could get better updraft or tailwind coming out Copa and Sunken Harbor (trying to reach ThumpDump) or just trying to get more altitude in the opposite direction while in flight was tricky especially when exiting map view. I think I remember someone attempting a mod that brought the wind current animation to the mini-map but it was too hard to see far enough to be effective. I feel that is part of where your going with the thermals and updrafts, something similar for the mapping would be cool, though I know if you get into it you'll do a much better job at it.

Yes, please slight timing differentials for striffing between frame classes. That would make one of the individualities between them noticeable and accommodate the player preference chose in frame size.

Thanks Grummians for all your efforts.

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
Strafing pause is nice visually and has a nice feel. It adds a little immersion. It takes a little convenience away from the player being able to quickly pop in and out around corners I would say it’s a good thing.
I agree. I like the added immersion of the more realistic motion feel. It can be pretty subtle and still give us that feel without making play frustrating (I hope).

After all, humans (and other critters) can still run and turn pretty darned quick in reality with that kind of pause and momentum shift.

Look at a rabbit running from a coyote - they have to shift and turn and pause as they change direction, but they are agile as heck.

It also gives AI a chance to nail us in a realistic manner if we pop out from cover and then momentum keeps us exposed for a short short period during which we can be attacked vs. an instantaneous and highly unrealistic cycle of moving out, quick scoping, and moving back with no pausing.

I am a big fan of bending reality at the expense of fun (like quick scoping a giant heavy sniper rifle and ignoring wind and a million other variables), but I don't see that we have to ignore entirely physics of mass an motion when starting and stopping or popping in and out from behind some cover thingy wingy.

===
p.s. Love the thermals! I hope we have a bit of visual indicator of them as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.