Very much hope this game has individual/personal loot drops

DrFutzLoop

Tsi-Hu Hunter
Jul 29, 2016
Stralia Mate!
My thoughts would be a One for All kind of system, and yes I stole that, where loot drops and anyone picks it up it rewards everyone who has put effort into damaging the mob at hand. Not single hit run and gunners.

Or the other option being a nanite swarm that fetches the drops for you depending on weapon equipped. IE have a cooldown period so that for snipers their nanite last longer so they can get up and run to the mobs location without losing any of the first drops if they're on timers.

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
and i dont think everyone would be snipers just if loot is given on kill
A lot would not put themselves in danger if they had pets or whatever picking up loot. I'm not against loot drops, just that snipers can't access it in close combat from 300m away. A fairer alternate needs to be made. In Firefall we got XP on hits, then a loot drop when killed for a few mins. Leaving personalised loot sitting on the field for 10 - 20 mins could bog down the server resources. Maybe?
I would also like to see the enemy increase their XP when they hit or kill us, making it a challenge. Maybe?
Not sure what sort of XP, strength, mana, or bubblewrap will be going into this game.
Still plenty of time for Grummz to come up with some reward system on hits and kills.

Jul 26, 2016
oh one step better, if the loot drops are spread across the party when 1 player picks them up.
so say your sniper and melee group up, and as mobs die and the melee loots you both get your share of loot.

that was a problem I had in firefall a lot. sniper kill mobs but by die I get them all dead most the loot form the first few had faded. before I got the rest dead and closed in to pick up.
I say
25% for kill/assist (more than 50% dmg),
10% for pickup,
5% for kill/assist (less than 50% dmg),
rest split between team

Or allow squad accept loot sharing mode

How can they implement a system that drops loot specifically tailored to every player who contributed enough (yet another thing that has to be tracked) in the fight, so they don't feel like their effort was wasted, because they got a weapon, weapon part, armor parts...etc. that doesn't suit their build. Of course, scrapping items for resources should be there, too, but that doesn't eliminate the annoyance that can come from receiving the wrong items.

Added: Or there shouldn't be any drops that people need to run to and pick up. A window could immediately pop up, or show up as a notification that the player can open, once the fight is done, to see what they got. When an enemy is killed, it should be the same thing. If it had something to "drop" it should either be automatically added to the inventory or it could be rejected through pop-up window screen, if it's not needed. Something like this. Distance from the target should not matter. So, those who fight from long(er) ranges can immediately get the stuff.

Last edited:

Noctus

Commander
Jul 26, 2016
North Carolina
I'd rather have a bounty system. Where killing enemies would pay you a bounty from whatever organization you were working for at the time. I'd prefer resources other than maybe pickups (eg. health, ammo, etc.) not really drop from enemies at all since it doesn't really make a tone of sense anyway and tends to just create game mechanics problems.

I think resources should come solely from mining them, buying them from other players off some sort of market or possibly quest rewards. Money should be earned only through completing objectives for who you are working for at the time and not drop from enemies directly; as why would the enemy be carrying a currency for a different race and society of people? The only time you could get actual gear is maybe as rewards for actual quest lines like tutorial missions and such.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
I'd rather have a bounty system. Where killing enemies would pay you a bounty from whatever organization you were working for at the time.
would it be like warframe where if you max the reputation of such organisation the oppossing organisation could send a hunter/death squad after you?

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
I liked in FF that you thumped for some resources and then harvested others from organics by killing them. It gave more variety to resource types and made it rewarding to blast hisser mounds and wasps beyond just the fun of wasp hunting (which was a huge enjoyment for me).

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I liked in FF that you thumped for some resources and then harvested others from organics by killing them. It gave more variety to resource types and made it rewarding to blast hisser mounds and wasps beyond just the fun of wasp hunting (which was a huge enjoyment for me).
This is the winning model to keep people playing all aspects of the game and is one of the few main ways to truly keep firefalls essence. I don't remember the mob or drop but the raptor type in Sargasso Sea I farmed forever. But the mineral resources from thumping and drops from mobs in the variety of firefall is a must for the best crafting system ever to return.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
This is of course assuming that there will be loot drops in the game.
This. If everything is crafted, and all resources are mined, then loot drops need not even exist. Just do away with creature drops for crafting.

Depth in crafting can come from the rarity of mined resources and the alloys we might make from them, a function of our communal success in openning up new areas to mine and plunder.

Wyntyr

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Florida
...If everything is crafted, and all resources are mined, then loot drops need not even exist. Just do away with creature drops for crafting.
Grummz's current plan includes Kaiju Parts (reward for aiding with kill or harvest after kill) and Tsi-Hu Artifacts (found during mining). Although no definitive info as to what parts/artifacts can be found and/or what benefit they may provide.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Grummz's current plan includes Kaiju Parts (reward for aiding with kill or harvest after kill) and Tsi-Hu Artifacts (found during mining). Although no definitive info as to what parts/artifacts can be found and/or what benefit they may provide.
The Em8er market is going to get busy!

I also hope artifacts/resources it could be made like a jigsaw to unravel secret locations of maps and expand the story line nicely.

There was a quest to make a fish bait i remember this well in firefall and giving the fish to the hungry npc!
This was good with a purpose to save them perhaps we have the choice to save those and if we choose not it could effect our reps

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
This is the winning model to keep people playing all aspects of the game and is one of the few main ways to truly keep firefalls essence. I don't remember the mob or drop but the raptor type in Sargasso Sea I farmed forever. But the mineral resources from thumping and drops from mobs in the variety of firefall is a must for the best crafting system ever to return.
Yup.

I really liked (very sad that it got trashed) going out with a gang of friends and having all of us scan hammering the dirt to death to find good nodes and then flying over to group up and thump with a big thumper for some top end resources!

I really liked having the huge variety of resource types and qualities, so that I could quickly and cheaply craft up some green weapon type to try out features that were new to me and then later hunt for resources of better quality to make a better one.

It was a great end-game to be hunting for resources to be able to make a 100% top end gun from all top end resources.

That aspect got me playing with others a lot more than I might have otherwise done - which was good for me.

I also liked running around and blasting hisser mounds and watching the goodies pop out when I hit them with a good AOE/DOT like a poison ball ,and they would crackle and pop like a big blister of popcorn popping out loot and dead hissers!

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Yup.

I really liked (very sad that it got trashed) going out with a gang of friends and having all of us scan hammering the dirt to death to find good nodes and then flying over to group up and thump with a big thumper for some top end resources!

I really liked having the huge variety of resource types and qualities, so that I could quickly and cheaply craft up some green weapon type to try out features that were new to me and then later hunt for resources of better quality to make a better one.

It was a great end-game to be hunting for resources to be able to make a 100% top end gun from all top end resources.

That aspect got me playing with others a lot more than I might have otherwise done - which was good for me.

I also liked running around and blasting hisser mounds and watching the goodies pop out when I hit them with a good AOE/DOT like a poison ball ,and they would crackle and pop like a big blister of popcorn popping out loot and dead hissers!

On one node you could fit three S3 and one P3. Get two rounds of that and then the node was killed. My clan would single squad thump all those at the same time. Except melding thumping. Was insanely fun.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
While a lot of you are fondly reminiscing of the good times, as I do, i'm also mindful of the worst times. Two stand out.

One was organised groups deliberately sabotaging other peoples thumps to take over good thumping spots, or drawing their own thumpers spawns to someone else's turrets (thereby adding agro to someone else's thumper). I do believe this one is fixed by design if @Grummz vision plays out as intended.

The other one was player reactions to creature drops.

The best times for me personally were before they existed, when every resource could be thumped. Once creature drops came in, they were relatively rare. A few of this, a few of that, compared to a few thousand mats per thump. So people complained long and loud when other parties "stole" their creature drops. This one is also fixed by design, if @Grummz vision plays out as intended, at least outside of a squad.

It's what happens within a squad that concerns me.Especially the random pickup squads that encompassed the best that Firefall had to offer. When it came to thumping, we had two types of players. Those who kept out of the way and risked nothing (except the thumper), and those that ran the gauntlet amongst the hordes of creatures. The latter type tended to get most of the creature drops, and yes, I was one of them. It's a bit like the running of the bulls. Are you on the street as they head towards you, or safe on a nearby balcony.

If we are going to have a game where risk well managed turns into reward (I do belive that is a skill), then sitting out of harms way does not deserve the rewards. You want them, then go down into the street and get them. Run with the bulls. This was the way I played. I consider it far more deserving a playstyle than a sniper that sits out of harms way going ping, ping, ping, and then complaining that they got none of the drops.

So I'm all for personal loot drops. It really does need to happen. But I do not believe that the game should lose sight of risk vs reward. There needs to be a timeout on those drops. If you want them, then go and get them. Now. Before they disappear.

Risk vs reward.

Jul 26, 2016
Australia
How can they implement a system that drops loot specifically tailored to every player who contributed enough (yet another thing that has to be tracked) in the fight, so they don't feel like their effort was wasted, because they got a weapon, weapon part, armor parts...etc. that doesn't suit their build. Of course, scrapping items for resources should be there, too, but that doesn't eliminate the annoyance that can come from receiving the wrong items.

Added: Or there shouldn't be any drops that people need to run to and pick up. A window could immediately pop up, or show up as a notification that the player can open, once the fight is done, to see what they got. When an enemy is killed, it should be the same thing. If it had something to "drop" it should either be automatically added to the inventory or it could be rejected through pop-up window screen, if it's not needed. Something like this. Distance from the target should not matter. So, those who fight from long(er) ranges can immediately get the stuff.
In Warframe, the RNG is placed within a loot table to do a void mission, and in this table the rng is woeful to be honest.

In WoW, the suffering is rng from the drop that people don't want to get, yet they still replay the same missions for the chance that they get the the right item. In one way the game plays them.

On the other hand, in Star Trek online, the mechanic is a set loot table of items that they can select from, any items they get during the mission I guess would then be balanced against participation, being dps, supplies and heals used etc.

Or, the mission you do is based from your equipment and you get direct upgrades from that, with little rng.

As for items despawning, that usually a server limitation to the amount of items displayed and it makes it easier to reduce their population.

A guarantee resource pool from mining in various locations having different geological properties would be good, also provide rng for items not expected in that haul would also be nice to add. Like an item you need for another mission or part of another quest line.

Also, putting back carbon on the resource table would be nice :D

1524405525053.png

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Yeah, I assumed there weren't going to be loot drops in this game since nearly everything is going to be crafted from after doing the mining thing.

That is what the initial design document says. To quote ...

Em-8ER Vision Book said:
Everything in the game is crafted by players. From player weapons and abilities, to the building and fortification of bases and their automated defenses.

So no weapons dropping. No Magnificent Module of +10 Maiming suddenly sitting on the battelfield in front of you. But that does not mean no creature part drops, like Kaiju Teeth or Tsi-Hu Scrotums, or something. But they would be crafting parts.

For those without access to a copy of the Vision Book, see the resources and crafting proofing thread in the Vision Book proofing section of the forum's archive vault.

Aug 14, 2016
My question is that since the "loot" drop is just going to be things like body parts and various fluids and gases produced by them. Can I pick how I want my gear to look when I craft them? Because I can see 3 routs in terms of melee weapons and armor plates.

1. We copy / mimic the molecular structure of the body part to make out gear more powerful. It doesn't look mush different from stander gear because change was only to the atoms in the gear and not it's overall shape.

2. We copy / mimic the form and function of the body part because, just like in real life, we copy the how other lifeforms work to make our technology better. After all, mother nature has already did a lot of R&D with evolution and come up with some ingenious things.

3. Rather than trying to copy or mimic the body part you just use that part as is. Just bolt on those armored shells onto you mecha and while you are used those teeth to make a spiked hammer or saw-toothed sword.

This way it gives people more freedom over how their mecha looks and functions. Because people with the same overall stats can still look and act really differently from each other and use those stats in different ways. For example, one person can jump over that gap by jumping and using they jets for a boost of speed, another person uses their jets to jump up higher and body parts of flying monsters to catch the wind over the gap, and another just runs as high speeds and jumps super high because they changed how the joints in their legs move and function after studying how some predator runs after and leaps onto it's prey.