Very much hope this game has individual/personal loot drops

Jun 28, 2017
What I mean is people should not fight for the loot drops. If a monster drops 50x of resource X, everyone should see it and everyone goes and picks it up. This is a system similar to Warframe, Diablo 3, etc... I think even WOW moved to this model recently.

If it doesn't go this way, obvious problems would be melee mechs would be able to kill and pick up loot immediately while any ranged mechs would be SOL. Toxicity will be increased when people feel like their drops are being stolen. Cooperation will go down because nobody will want to play near someone else. Overall the game will be much worse if everyone has to fight for loot.

Ullrick

Firstclaimer
Aug 15, 2016
oh one step better, if the loot drops are spread across the party when 1 player picks them up.
so say your sniper and melee group up, and as mobs die and the melee loots you both get your share of loot.

that was a problem I had in firefall a lot. sniper kill mobs but by die I get them all dead most the loot form the first few had faded. before I got the rest dead and closed in to pick up.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Personally I think it would be much better to not have loot drops at all and simply get rewarded for time in combat. Perhaps the Tsi-hu might occasionally drop a weapon, but it would be doubtful the thing would have a compatible ammo/power source with human technology so it would be much like the special weapons dropped in the Saints Row series, use it til its gone and then drop it.

EDIT: just to clarify, loot drops, whether boxes or otherwise are all RNG, I hate RNG systems for gameplay rewards. If mobs simply reward resources when killed, everyone in combat can be given their equal share upon leaving combat and those resources can be used towards whatever the player feels like.

Dec 15, 2016
What I mean is people should not fight for the loot drops. If a monster drops 50x of resource X, everyone should see it and everyone goes and picks it up. This is a system similar to Warframe, Diablo 3, etc... I think even WOW moved to this model recently.

If it doesn't go this way, obvious problems would be melee mechs would be able to kill and pick up loot immediately while any ranged mechs would be SOL. Toxicity will be increased when people feel like their drops are being stolen. Cooperation will go down because nobody will want to play near someone else. Overall the game will be much worse if everyone has to fight for loot.
I'm all for this but not entirely the only way to get loot. You can be a sneaky little thief and go to their place where they stash their resources to get some however reward quality increases if you sneaked your way through without killing anyone.

Aug 14, 2016
But want about people who like to play as snipers? Can we not give them something like a pet who will run around and pick up loot for them? Given that sniper players are often much farther away from the enemy in other players. And the amount of time it takes to leave the your spot run all the over to get the loot and than run back to your spot to help your team just takes to long.

Like given sniper players a pet bird who'll fly down and pick up loot for the player while they stay focused on sniping for their team.

Jul 26, 2016
But want about people who like to play as snipers? Can we not give them something like a pet who will run around and pick up loot for them? Given that sniper players are often much farther away from the enemy in other players. And the amount of time it takes to leave the your spot run all the over to get the loot and than run back to your spot to help your team just takes to long.

Like given sniper players a pet bird who'll fly down and pick up loot for the player while they stay focused on sniping for their team.

This problem is also the reason why loot drops on kills is stupid.
Especially since this game is having us fighting waves of mobs and a gigantic boss beasties to defend equipment.
and since this game is also supposed to be smaller in scope, wouldn't loot drops on kills bog down a server pointlessly?

It'll be better to leave it all for a reward screen at the end of a battle event for non-team individuals and the crafting/management screen for teams.

RaZoR

Death Reaper
Jul 26, 2016
Pet pickups would be a farce. Everyone would be snipers.
Maybe an instant point tally on the damage done, cashed in later for goodies.

Aug 14, 2016
This problem is also the reason why loot drops on kills is stupid.
Especially since this game is having us fighting waves of mobs and a gigantic boss beasties to defend equipment.
and since this game is also supposed to be smaller in scope, wouldn't loot drops on kills bog down a server pointlessly?

It'll be better to leave it all for a reward screen at the end of a battle event for non-team individuals and the crafting/management screen for teams.
I'm like the idea of something like a point system. Where we get points not only based on what we kill, but how we kill it, and if we assisted in a kill or not. Given how this is a sci-fi game where was have mechas, command or whoever we turn our points into can just check our battle data to see what we did.

But some people do like the idea of loot. So if we have to have loot drops in the game I would hope it is more realistic like survival and/or hunting games where the "loot" is whatever parts of the body you can use and whatever the enemy was carrying. For example, let's say there is monster with really strong and sharp claws that is as strong, if not stronger, than metal we use for our melee weapons. After I kill it, I go up to the body and remove the claws so the R&D people can learn more about them. In the meantime, I'll use some of the claws to make my own makeshift melee weapon until the R&D NPCs can upgrade my weapons and armor based on what they learned.

This way the loot itself it not so much important as is what can you learn from the enemy. So how you kill an enemy matter as the researchers and tactical may need more information about this type of enemy or they gear they have. So you have to kill them without also damaging the things they want to badly. Or before they can use self destruct on them to stop you from getting it. After all there is a reason why in real life one of the lest things soldiers do before abandoning gear, like a vehicle, is to destroy any parts of it that the enemy might be to use themselves or to be able to use in research and reverse engineering.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Pet pickups would be a farce. Everyone would be snipers.
Maybe an instant point tally on the damage done, cashed in later for goodies.
Doubtful, true snipers (not just rifles with an acog style scope) tend to fair poorly on defense IMO, and in my experience are easier to overwhelm with trash mobs as they usually have small ammo caps (aka FF). As such I would imagine a full group of snipers would get taken down quickly.

EDIT: One idea though for loot drops would be to have science research items drop from enemies which can be picked up and would go towards global unlocks, that way it doesn't matter *who* picks it up, just that its used.