Do you like my idea?

• Total voters

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Hello everyone!
So Mark confirmed that we will get vehicles, also combat ones. I have a simple idea of how we could make them.

So we could have a creator like in SPORE. This would allow us to choose how our vehicles would look like. Instead of parts modifying vehicle's effectiveness, we would choose different parts that would define base stats and than we would be able to modify each part effects using sliders (in a limited degree ofc.), but there wouldn't be a power modifier. Instead, we would use weapons.

Hull, mass and propulsion method would define carry weight, hp and speed of a vehicle.

Heavier vehicles (like gunships) have more passenger seats. We could than connect weapons and turrets to different passengers. Ofc we could create a single seat tank, but it would be less effective as smaller classes have no heavy weapons and heavy classes should give passengers guns to make them protect vehicle.

Each vehicle class could have a number of passengers and weapon points. Heavier weapons would take more weapon points. So for example a machine gun would take 1 point, Gatling gun 3 points and heavy collider cannon 6 points.

Vehicles would be classified as Land (produced at War Factory), Sea (produced ar Naval Yard) and Air (produced at Airbase). Some vehicles like hovercrafts would be able to be classified as land or sea vehicle.

Vehicles would also be classified by their size. For example:
- scout (1 seat, 2 gun points, 30 second build time)
- light (1 seat, 4 gun points, 2 minutes build time)
- medium (3 seats, 12 gun points, 5 minutes build time)
- heavy (5 seats, 20 gun points, 15 minutes build time)

Each element would cost materials that will be consumed at the end of crafting bill. Once a vehicle is crafted it can be produced for free when it's equipped in certain factory. To prevent vehicle spam all of them have build times. Scout and light class land vehicles could be arcported to player while other vehicles would have to be taken from factory. This would make players want to build new bases to have access to more vehicles at once (factory has a slot for each class, more factories = more vehicles and closer to take)

Want an example? Here :)

So for example I'd like to create a Kirov Airship from Red Alert 3. I choose Heavy Air Vehicle. I place a blimp hull and maximize its hp while minimizing speed. Blimp hull gives you lots of carry capacity. Now I place propellers (better hp and lower speed than thrusters) as propulsion method and maximize their hp while decreasing speed. Now I need to place passenger seats somewhere. I place a 5 man cockpit underneath the hull, near the front. Now I place 1 heavy bomb bay (8 weapon points). It gives me maximum damage, but is also really heavy, so a blimp is perfect as it can carry heaviest weights. I connect it to pilot seat. Than I add 4 30mm cannons (3 points each) in camera turrets and connect each one of them to different passenger seats. My passengers can now defend the airship. I also add spotlights to 30mms to hunt enemies also at night. I adjust weapon stats to what fits my interests. I add rudders for control and connect them to pilot seat. I also connect propellers to pilot seats. Now I add remaining details and paint my Kirov, I add details and I am a happy owner of a Kirov Airship :) I go to the nearest Airbase and equip it at Heavy slot. Now it starts printing. After 15 minutes my Kirov is ready. I select it and I take off to destroy enemy :)

What do you think? IMO such system is user friendly and very good for custom vehicles. Also, it's easy to make as it has already been made in some form. So, what do you think? :D

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
Sooooo an armored truck with 6 passengers seats (3 per sides) with explosive ammo loaded chaingun.
A meatgrinder on my grill to shred any chosen i ram, with a big lawnmower underneath the vehicle in case a chosen survive or get stuck underneath?

Yes? I'M ALL GAME

Vedemin

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
Sooooo an armored truck with 6 passengers seats (3 per sides) with explosive ammo loaded chaingun.
A meatgrinder on my grill to shred any chosen i ram, with a big lawnmower underneath the vehicle in case a chosen survive or get stuck underneath?

Yes? I'M ALL GAME
Well, I think max 5 seats is enough, but your post makes me want more :D

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
Really cool idea(s), and it centrally gives players a lot of freedom, but there are two problems that I see with something like that in a game like Ember:

1) This pretty extensive and deep system that would take long time to properly developer and implement. Not particularly something that Ember can really afford, at least not till it will gain more support.

2) This might be like super unpopular opinion, but I don't like when people create weird looking stuff just because they can. I like it when a professional artist creates a awesome looking tank, and as you upgrade it, every upgrade looks awesome on it because it was also designed specifically for that tank.
When you just throw bunch of random pieces at people who are not artists, and tell them build their own stuff... there maybe few cool looking designs here and there, but I majority it's always just going to end up been mediocre at best.
So I rather developers pick art style and overall theme to the game and carry it through in everything, including vehicles.
Yeah so, I like customization, but I want it to be tasteful and looking good. Perhaps Ember can start with simple stat manipulation, and later on add actual visual changes here and there as they keep developing the game.

Just my 2c.

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I'm with @Vladplaya here, I do like the general idea, but I think given the staff size we may want to go with something a bit smaller. Perhaps there can be several classes of vehicles (small/medium/large) each with a few modules you can pick from.

I am reminded of the way Stellaris does their ships where there are a number of different ship types (corvette, cruiser etc) and each one has several options for one to three modules. The graphics are set but you can pick somewhat how you want your ship to look.

TGVirus

Firstclaimer
Ark Liege
Jul 28, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
Well, I think max 5 seats is enough, but your post makes me want more :D
depends. Seating should be linked somehow to the number of ppl in squad/platoon or whatever.
we could also do exactly that. A 'solo' vehicle, a 5 seat squad vehicle and a massive 10 ppl transporter (thinking on the lines of an actual army APC)

Nubilus

Omni Ace
Ark Liege
Base Commander
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
I like the idea of a fully customizable vehicle but COMPLETE freedom isnt good because people tend to build clunky or freaky stuff. Personally i would prefer a vehicle builder like the ship customization in Stellaris:
- prefabricated hulls/chassis in different sizes
- each size has different slots for S/M/L weapons and modules
- the bigger the ship/vehicle is the more sections it has e.g. front/mid/back
- the different sections have different weapon and module slots in various sizes
- once you got better tech you could upgrade it and upgrade older ships, aswell as build the upgraded ones

Jul 26, 2016
Player made creations are a troublesome thing. Approvals would be needed since we all know the maturity level of the internet is so low we'd have dicks driving around if there was Spore level creation on deck.

Pre-constructed frames and modular attachments are still probably the most complicated and most simple as far as Ember is concerned. It can start small or not even exist but instead the platform be installed only to then grow later over the course of development.

TankHunter678

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Given me a customization system, but not complete design freedom when it comes to vehicles.

Of course I will want to be able to remove the gun turret on my tank in favor of covering the damn thing in automated turret hardpoints so that I may create the ultimate in invasion defense armored cavalry.

Beerdog6

Firstclaimer
Aug 1, 2016
for ease of game play, make it like the Omniframe. a basic style that is modular. The style could be based on what
zone your are in.