time-limited windows logon sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2016
here's an interesting puzzler-

situation: family PC (windows 10) with several childrens, whom spend way too much time on the computer. mom wants a good way of enforcing time limits for the kids.

to my thinking there's two ideal ways of tacking this problem-

1) free/commercial software to be able to schedule per-user time frames and logs user off afterwards (say, after 30, 60, 90minutes)
  • i guess the simplest option would be set up a scheduled task that runs on user logon, for something like
    Code:
    %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 7200 -f
    , though logging on again would grant another interval
  • found a program called TimesUpKidz, which looks to do what's needed
  • figure public libraries must have something to enforce a session duration for users
  • microsoft family safety also looks to provide similar functionality, on a per-day basis

2)run a cmd on a voice command, like "Bed Time!" forces user to be logged off.
  • since the pc is running windows 10, could Cortana be hooked into to either shutdown/logoff on demand, or run a command (shutdown.exe again) with a given phrase? some other voice recognition software that'll do the trick?

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
China already got something like that, forcing or making a law that they implement that into the client/launcher. making you unable to login/play after 3hr.

meh.... the pro of macOS is that you can do something like that over the OS itself and not over some programs.
The Parent Control allows you to limit the time it can be used. (but when i was younger i managed to get around this by restarting my mac xD - not everything is perfect ^^).

For the Cortana solution your child would need to have a working microphone or headset on... (and i think cortana is bad).
So i guess it would be smarter to limit the internet (it just semi worked for me, had some nice singleplayer games back then xD).

Status
Not open for further replies.