Time Crystals IRL

zdoofop

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Noneofyourbeeswaxistan
I understood maybe half of that, but it would appear that "time crystals" are not soo much a mineral as they are a state of matter. If so, it would explain why the raw ore would appear and disappear, but the refined ore stays (beause its state has been changed to one in equilibrium). However, "time crystals' do not really phase in and out of the present so much as...well, that's the part I didn't understand, but it's not quite fully applicable to the resource found on Em-8ER. So possibly, but probably not. Good thought though.

Jul 26, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I understood maybe half of that, but it would appear that "time crystals" are not soo much a mineral as they are a state of matter. If so, it would explain why the raw ore would appear and disappear, but the refined ore stays (beause its state has been changed to one in equilibrium). However, "time crystals' do not really phase in and out of the present so much as...well, that's the part I didn't understand, but it's not quite fully applicable to the resource found on Em-8ER. So possibly, but probably not. Good thought though.
Well, in common crystals atoms are arranged in uniform, symmetrical patterns. Like honeycombs, rectangular grids and so on. This is what they call 'spatial symmetry', and just like in every other type of solid matter the whole arrangement stays still, not moving, not gaining, not releasing energy. This is what they refer as 'equilibrium'.

Time crystals on the other hand, have a structure in which atoms 'dance'. Each one repeating the movement done by its nearest neighbor moments before. Effectively establishing symmetry over time in a never ending chain. All of this happens without any kind of energy release or gain, even if the atoms are moving. In this state matter never reaches equilibrium, it is constantly shifting between all states rapidly, that's why they describe it like Jell-O that never stops jiggling. :)

Last edited: