Thumper combat assistance ideas

Mar 18, 2017
I saw that they are planning to have thumpers aid in combat already, but I'm just wondering what sort of role they will have.

Will they be a more defensive/support role? Proving support like a slow AOE over time repair during combat and the same with ammo resupply which you have to do some mining for the resources for before. Or stuff like aiding in combat in close quarters with its drill and will have a shield over itself that absorbs a certain amount of damage before it starts taking damage itself and after a period of time away from combat reforms (like vehicle Nanite repair in PS2).
Will it have any sort of projectile/energy weapons for range, or will it have other support roles like scanning for enemies/scanning enemies to highlight weak/critical areas to deal more damage (like the recons beacon from FireFall) along with its drill for close combat engages. It could even act as a tank, absorbing damage for a period of time as it is large and heavily armoured, and potentially has a self repair/shield feature.

Finally, will there be options to change the role of the thumper in combat by either choosing its role you want it to perform, or can you change parts of it (e.g. main chassis, leg, head, arm) to make it tougher and be able to take more damage. However it will then be slower and less manoeuvrable, or add a weapon slot on top of its shoulder or on its other arm so it can aid in combat with a variety of weapons that can be crafted and mounted. Like a close range shotgun or long range rifle with specific engagement ranges and preferred targets, or turret deployment beacons or other support weapons. So you can adapt and change the thumper, like your Omni-frame, so it can aid in combat with many different roles/abilities/weapons, that can be combined to create the best thumper to go with your Omni-frame and playstyle.

These are just my thoughts and ideas, my question might have already been answered somewhere already, but I just would like to know the other roles the thumper will have apart from just mining and laughing at our jokes, as I read somewhere.
Any thoughts or ideas, either new or adapting mine are welcome.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Proving support like a slow AOE over time repair during combat and the same with ammo resupply which you have to do some mining for the resources for before. Or stuff like aiding in combat in close quarters with its drill and will have a shield over itself that absorbs a certain amount of damage before it starts taking damage itself and after a period of time away from combat reforms (like vehicle Nanite repair in PS2).
I think that would be nice as support role yes they would be a great addition like a giant pet who is beside you!

Will it have any sort of projectile/energy weapons for range, or will it have other support roles like scanning for enemies/scanning enemies to highlight weak/critical areas to deal more damage (like the recons beacon from FireFall) along with its drill for close combat engages
I like the idea of customizing the thumper so that for example

Say it could highlight certain enemies but not as effective as the mech would.

Thumper A [Defensive/offensive] capabilities with the reduction of mining collection
either using projectile or melee. If it has weaponary and such the mining collection would be reduced because of the amount of space taken.

Thumper B [standard] This has the main drill larger mining collection
This would be what it was meant for could still defend and all with the drill but its main function to mine.

Thumper C [double drill] Rapid mining but less protection
This would be your rapid miner but at a cost to less protection so you could get more but you could also have to keep a closer eye on it.

Functional upgrades [limbs, engine,drill type, etc] this would determine how you build the thumpr in your gameplay with heavier armor/shield or better weapons etc.
Some might rather have it survive even if it means getting less resource but as the rewards are greater the longer you continue so is the risk and that's where the decision needs to be made in how you want to build it.

Perhaps some would focus on 1 or 2 thumpers in the team while the other thumpers helps defend the main mining thumpers?

or others want their thumpers to be a supportive a.i who helps them along their adventure?

Last edited:

Drakin5

Omni Ace
Dec 15, 2016
Thumper A [Defensive/offensive] capabilities with the reduction of mining collection
either using projectile or melee. If it has weaponary and such the mining collection would be reduced because of the amount of space taken.

Thumper B [standard] This has the main drill larger mining collection
This would be what it was meant for could still defend and all with the drill but its main function to mine.

This would be your rapid miner but at a cost to less protection so you could get more but you could also have to keep a closer eye on it.
Needs more options.

Thumper D [stealth mining]
+easier enemy difficulty
+less enemy spawn frequency
+no risk of boss spawns
+thumper is equipped with a stealth generator
-3x slower mining
-lower reward quality
-you can’t get phased ores this way

Thumper E [siege mining]
+3x faster mining
+rewards are 2.5x greater quality. Phased ores are more frequent to get
+thumper is heavily armed and armoured rivalling a category 3 kaiju
-harder enemies
-higher enemy spawn frequency
-has a chance of attracting an invasion grade enemy force at any time. Make sure you’re prepared for this.

Thumper F [blitz mining]
+/- thumper automatically finishes its current mining operation the moment a reward is received
+75% faster thumper cool down
+/- receiving high quality isotope ores or greater will spawn harder enemies.

Thumper G [field observer class]
+thumper is equipped with communication equipment showing full details of its situation on the global map.
+thumper is equipped with a targeting module allowing artillery omniframe pilots to automatically aim at enemies from afar.
-enemies will likely ignore attackers and go straight for the thumper as it is a case of killing the mage first.

Mar 18, 2017
Yeah I thought of that also, but later that evening so that's why I didn't mention it.
Needs more options.
Well, I was thinking that you could set the thumper to aid in a certain way either by equipment and gear/abilities or like what you said, by deploying it in a certain mode to increase either general materials, rare materials or enemy spawn for a more intense localised defence fight.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
what if you could link up other thumpers to help someone else's thumper get more resource by distributing the resources to however many thumpers is linked.

Say 2-4 thumpers linked would be a good number? Perhaps there should be a set number of how many could be linked otherwise it would be more of a negative experience than positive.

For example a new player comes in and has trouble thumping you could team up link your thumpr to their's and they would help you. The only risk to this link up is if your thumper gets damaged the other thumper gets some damage too, if its fully destroyed however depending on the thumper lvl and efficiency it might just about survive or they both are gone if its too low lvl after taking too much damage.

Weaponry benefits

Link up 1: could compliment weaponry e.g. 1 thumper uses shotgun and thumper 2 uses a long range laser

or

Link up 2: thumper 1 uses flame thrower, and thumper 2 uses some shield
etc etc

Link up risk not only affects your thumper/weapon but any thumper that it is linked to another.

Would link up be worth it since its a team game i think it could be good especially if playing together even randoms can link up.

You can accept or decline link up from a notification appearing on the screen
if its friends or clan members this can be set to accept automatically if needed.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2017
what if you could link up other thumpers to help someone else's thumper get more resource by distributing the resources to however many thumpers is linked.

Say 2-4 thumpers linked would be a good number? Perhaps there should be a set number of how many could be linked otherwise it would be more of a negative experience than positive.

For example a new player comes in and has trouble thumping you could team up link your thumpr to their's and they would help you. The only risk to this link up is if your thumper gets damaged the other thumper gets some damage too, if its fully destroyed however depending on the thumper lvl and efficiency it might just about survive or they both are gone if its too low lvl after taking too much damage.

You can accept or decline link up from a notification appearing on the screen
if its friends or clan members this can be set to accept automatically if needed.
Yeah, that could be a way for experienced players to help new/inexperienced players get better. E.g. a new player asks an experienced player to link their thumpers and the experienced gets the resources but the new player gets the exp (or whatever the in game equivalent is)

Weaponry benefits

Link up 1: could compliment weaponry e.g. 1 thumper uses shotgun and thumper 2 uses a long range laser

or

Link up 2: thumper 1 uses flame thrower, and thumper 2 uses some shield
etc etc

Link up risk not only affects your thumper/weapon but any thumper that it is linked to another.
And with this you could build a small base type area with multiple thumpers all mining and supporting in multiple different ways, however it would be set up that if one thumper is destroyed they all are or the others emergency evacuate, as their owners don't want bad hired guns defending their property.

Especially crazy rabbits and fools with an OCD complex for explosives. :p No names

Dreamin

Base Commander
Base Commander
Dec 4, 2016
PNW
I would go more for an option where your battle mech could mount the T.H.M.P.R. (on its back) and then control it using a larger AOE weapon of varied style and/or have a heightened physical combat ability for "hands on" kaiju fighting, of course this would need to be a limited duration effect which would rapidly drain power from both the Mech and the T.H.M.P.R. . Just an idea though.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Thats cool too but what if it fused with the thumper like a bigger mech

What if you have various lvl say your mech is a lvl 1 but your thumpr is a lvl 2
This would make the thumpr ability stronger than the mech until it catches up to lvl 2.
So for example it would be the MK-T [1.5]

Say the max was 10 it would look like MK -Tx

I know its all transformerish and voltron, power rangers and all that but hey its cool :D