Thoughts on Turret-based items and Healers?

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I started on nothing but firecat way back in the day but moved on to loving the mammoth style play. I couldn't jet anywhere but I had high ground run speed, great armor and loads of ammo per clip. If I could get that again that would be amazing.

As for an engineer, my thoughts look more at using some on hand resources to "buff" party members. Say something like carrying metal to plates in inventory and 'welding' then on someone for added armor. Or having power cells for weapon elements. Also circuit boards to give a regen/self repairing function. All of it temporary time limits or the armor has a damage limit. I just don't know how you could implement any of it to be done on the fly instead of standing still for 6-7 seconds.

Firefall was all about mobility in the peak beta times. Assaults perma flight if you crafted right for example.

I also agree with deployable being used by anyone, but strengthened/repaired by engineers.

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
Enhanced version of Zero's abilities from Borderlands 2 maybe?
I say think more Warhammer 40k Space Marine.

High Power Jumpjets that allow to ascend and descend very very quickly (think afterburner into meteor combo for assault class), jump short distances, and combine with a close combat focused melee style that is either slow (large heavy weapon) or fast (single handed weapon) with a secondary ranged weapon that can be used for when you need to pull away like a pistol, or SMG. Perhaps even a rifle depending on how you balanced the constraints.

Also, welding on armor plates would be for things like vehicles or the mech. Circuit boards would not grant a regen or self repair function, that is from far more complex machinery. Would be more activating a drone that would proceed to fly to the target and begin using healing/repairing equipment on them.

For armor function well again could be a drone designed to be a shield being either a flying plate of metal or generating an energy barrier, placing itself between an ally and the enemy to absorb shots. You see them often in the gundam series.

Shouja

Jul 27, 2016
I personally enjoy playing healer classes, as long as the healer class requires the same amount of aiming and avoidance skills. I don't like a healer with an auto-aim beam. a stationary heal turret is also ok, in my book, as long as it is easy to eliminate with a well aimed high damage shot.

Jul 28, 2016
From my experience the Engineer filled the roll of resource collector better than everyone else. The turrets if placed well enough could avoid the rpg mechanics and the shooter mechanics while thumping. Basically just free damage, it made thumping less interactive or challenging.

Firefall needed some resources sinks badly and the opportunity to turn destructible turrets into one was too great. Everyone should be able craft and place turrets, while Engineers could fill a role of maintaining them. The whole thumping scene should be tuned around the risk of damaged equipment or even total destruction.

This game can't use tank, damage, healer like in traditional MMOs. However relying simply on twitch mechanics for PvE won't hold an audience. Interdependence is key for an MMO otherwise you'll just try to solo everything.

You can't have tanks, what would he do.. jump in front of bullets all day? No threat mechanics to protect damage dealers. Healers are pretty easy to introduce, but pure healers? Unlikely.

This game is going to have define roles to play while also shooting bad guys.

Our main tanks? Obviously a thumper (or some other machine.)

That means... we get two healers. Engineers and your Biotech archetype.

Engineers would heal the main tank, avoid getting shot, all while also getting to shoot at critters.

Biotechs would heal everyone (and shoot.)

There is also a third unexplored role in FireFall, some sort of hard crowd control.

Every class, frame, or role has to have a highly effective way to deal damage while also having the option of a secondary role. I'd say having no pure damage role, that way each frame gets an interesting set of options if they focus on damage.
Given the text of your post, I'd like your thoughts on the thread Theorycrafting MMO Roles.

I'm with the people who have said that if you make a dedicated healer class they're usually required or useless. I don't desire either of those outcomes.