The problem of pay-to-skin envy

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
Ember will have a concept of time-limited skins in the store. This is a FOMO choice to help sales.

This has a problem of envy from pay-to-play, hasn't-bought-anything-yet-but-might, or bought-other-things players. For each skin available to one player and not (or not appropriately) available are others who would feel left out. The solution presented is to have skins be available within the game world under some circumstances. I hope this will apply to all skins.

(I do understand the idea of "unique" skins, and I recognize I am working to undermine that concept, but a FOMO "founder" skin is likely extremely important for funding and should not be touched by ideas in this post.)

An example solution is for a skin in the store to also be "grindable" in-world. While this addresses some of the problem of envy, it also creates a social version of "pay to win"; a "pay to skin".

Also, one thought is that a FOMO / seasonal experience in-store would be mirrored in-game by being seasonally-grindable. It has already been said that seasonal grinding would carry over to the next season, so that seasonally-casual players could still look forward to continuing their progress next time.

I think that something can be added to muddy the problem of a "pay to skin".

In this idea, while things would be available in store (limited availability or not), and things would be grindable in-world (seasonal or not), a counter would be added to grinding. For this, there would be no changes to skin appearances. At a distance and during gameplay, there would continue to be no social difference between purchased-skins and grinded-skins.

However, upon inspection, players who have worked toward grinding a skin which they are wearing will have that displayed when they are inspected. Players who have succeeded in the complete grind will have that indicator on a piece of a skin highlighted (number color, a crown, a border, etc.). A complete grind also provides a title which is unavailable for purchase. That title would a non-power-granting one among however many titles the game provides (e.g. achievement-attained) and the pay-to-skin players simply do not have the title until they "earn" it.

This way there can be people who look to others with envy about pay-to-skin (e.g. they have no budget, spent their budget elsewhere, spent outside of a seasonal availability), but can at least feel okay by falling back on the notion of "earning".

With this idea, anyone can purchase and display beauty, but nobody can purchase proof of effort on inspection; beauty is skin deep.

-

Related / inspiration:

Thorp

Omni Ace
Jul 27, 2016
California, CA
Reminds me of my gripes about claim stakes. Though the Em8er planet is supposed to be massive and therefore have a seemingly unlimited amount of claim stake land, there would only be a finite number of beach-side stakes, or waterfall stakes, or cliff side stakes, ect ect. That's where I think Instanced claim stakes should exist but they would blend into the open world. To clarify, people can have the same plot but when players travel into that plot, a random or specific claim stakes will load in seamlessly. This way, the game still is experienced as an open world and everyone can get the land plots they want.

But more on the skin envy or FOMO:
Backer packs and the like are, I believe, in the same vain. I've never really felt good about preorder bonuses. The one thing Em8er offers that I'm certain will have an envy element is the chroma for early backers only.

And as for seasonal or yearly vaulted skins, I'm unsure how troubling it is. An alternative is to do what Splatoon does with gear availability. When a player clicks on another player, they can "order" the gear that player is wearing most of the time. There are restrictions such as event rewards or amiibo rewards but generally, 90%+ is not restricted from ordering off a player. Em8er could do this in allowing players to purchase with real money directly from other player's current skin or establish some sort of artificial delay or maybe even a side mission they would need to complete beforehand.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
In warframe the founders got the Excalibur prime this was also known as key face prime!
The dev's promised it would be a one time special for founders never to be released again.

Many in the community complained or wanted to have the chance to get this frame. Then the Dev's decided to make an Excalibur Umbra after some years.

This is an alternative to the Excalibur Prime with the same stats with a different look, variations in sounds, and a particular difference is, when you transfer out of the frame your frame gains sentience attacking things in an area. Some say if it could be switched on or off in sentience that would be perfect though that was not the case.

So in the end the other players got a similar frame without breaking the promise to the founders.
Which was obtained in one of the quest and unlocked umbra mods too.

Personally none of the main skin from both variation where to my liking apart from the sleek prisma
1673566648670.png