The Omniframe Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
Badass... I love the write up Grummz! This explains and defines it, which is utterly amazing. The thought of upgrading my Frame as well as myself is an exceptional idea!! I love the thought and detail you put into everything!

Hans Trom

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
I like it. I also approve of the "design conceit". Normally these things annoy me if they are not done for a proper reason, but I do see your point. It always did feel limiting to me that you only had a head to play with do define "you" in FF. Of course the frame is a show of your personality as well to some extend, but having both to play around with should really allow for much more range in making a unique apperence for "you".

Vladplaya

Commander
Em-8er Contributor
Jul 27, 2016
USA
So it's not a frame or even a suit, it's actually a mecha.

Not a big fan of exposed pilot, this might work for moving cargo around in a safety of a base, but not exploring hostile territory and fighting.

Things don't have to be realistic in video games, but the feeling of immersion into the world comes from believing that this might work. And I would expose my arms and legs before my chest and head with all the vitals .

I doubt it will happen, but it's never too late to put some armor around the pilot, if you want to make a game with mechas, might as well make mechas look like mechas. Just allow (or require) players to walk around the base without the mecha, so character customization would still be important (and that actually would make sense, soldiers don't walk around safe bases in full battle great ;) )

Jul 27, 2016
As someone who loved the sort of nimbleness of the Firefall battleframes, I'm a little concerned about the perceived bulkiness of the Omniframe A M.E.K., but only a little. I hope deep down inside that we get mini jets on our legs for in-base freedom of movement, or freedom of movement when switching vehicles.

Aside from that, the Omniframe M.E.K. will open a lot of weapons options, and the recoil debate is over this thing will absorb whatever recoil the weapons can dish out. It's up to the designers how much to put in, the framework is there, and it's a videogame. I would like a rotary railgun on the left arm, and a rotary grenade launcher on the right.

I doubt it will happen, but it's never too late to put some armor around the pilot, if you want to make a game with mechas, might as well make mechas look like mechas. Just allow (or require) players to walk around the base without the mecha, so character customization would still be important (and that actually would make sense, soldiers don't walk around safe bases in full battle great ;) )
The pilot sits exposed, but protected by energy shields. This is a what I like to call a “design conceit.” I wanted a way for players to fully customize their character and not have it hidden by a an armored suit all the time. Yet, I still wanted the feel of a MEK you can ride and customize like a car in a racing game. A classic problem with mech designs is how dehumanizing they are, reducing the connection between player and character. By keeping the character visible, you can identify with it more and form a closer bond to both your avatar and your personalized Omniframe.

The even compromise between these two is to have retractable front armor that slides away to the sides and then does that future-mask piece-by-piece melting fold behind the player. Sort of like being able to take your hood off and put it back on with the press of a button in certain MMOs. When it folds back a very translucent energy shield could materialize briefly in front of the player to remind them what's keeping them safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.