The Omniframe Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn0wfIak3

Jul 27, 2016
Personally, i think you got a hit with this one. It's never going to be perfect for everyone but it looks very cool and it will sell imo. Plus it has vast options for further adjustments and improvements in the future.

Two birds one stone is a good place to begin, imo. A hybrid approach will probably please the most people. They can always add other forms later, even a battleframe type like in FF isn't out of reach.

But as a start, i think it's more than great.

Sik San

Deepscanner
Jul 26, 2016
In a perfect world, we would offer options for everyone to do anything. But we don't have a budget, we don't even have Firefall's budget. We have, as of today $3000 (which we used to pay for the website software, concept art time and backer fulfillment, etc.). I have to plan for that and not commit to saying "yes, we can do xyz option no problem!" Because every piece of art, chunk of armor, feature, and slider costs hundreds of not thousands to make. I'd rather offer fewer things, at higher quality, and focused on gameplay, than 1000 options.

So if I sound hesitant on "why not just make it an option" its because we have to be very frugal. Ember is going to be have to be different simply because of math and dollars. I'm just trying to find creative ways that satisfy me as a creator to keep to the general principles of Firefall and match my original, but Ember will still be very different in execution. It has to be. Firefall cost over 60 million to make, while we have $3000. Firefall had a 150 person team, we have 2-3 part time people right now, and our team size will probably never exceed around 15 people. We can be true to Firefall's spirit, but there is no way we can be Firefall 2.0 and match them option for option, feature for feature. Nor should we, Firefall ended up being a huge mish-mash of half-completed features going in a thousand different directions.

Imagine if we drew a concept of the recon frame and said "this is it! The one and only frame for Ember!" (because that's all this game can realistically afford: is developing one universal look of frame). We would have even more people in here that really miss their Assault and Arsenal frames.

Omniframes have fast movement, gliding, jumpets and preserve the mobility "feel" of Firefall, which IMHO was the most important part of that aspect of frames. The gameplay trumps all.

Meanwhile, I'm spending a lot of time figuring out how to do things in new ways to keep costs down and offer more. We're looking heavily into procedural tools for terrain, texturing, photogrammetry techniques for 3D modeling, and motion capture for animation. We're also looking at radical ways to keep server hardware costs down for a type of MMO that is traditionally extremely CPU heavy (action shooting, etc.), so that Ember does not require huge monthly server costs and a team of 8 dedicated IT staff to run (like Firefall did just to keep servers running).

I think we can do it. I'm more encouraged each time I see the support grow in the community. But remember, its still going to be a "mini" MMO.
Well, as Khrys said - we're on your side even if the omniframe design is unpleasant for some of us. But TBH there are a lot of ppl criticizing it's look, and that's some kind of a warning sign. Aye, small team, low budget, etc. We know! But it does not make reasonable critique obsolete. With such approach, I thought, you're going be more open regarding such discussions. The main thing why ppl are writing their feedback is that it's not to late to make some changes or fixes since nothing is set in stone yet. Just think about it when you'll have some time. At least - remove that odd mecha head. It'll make the current omniframe look much better.

Last edited:

Ronyn

Commander
Staff member
Community Manager
Director of Marketing and Community
Jul 26, 2016
if you want my 2c i'd say "off with the head", one head is enough and i don't think anyone disagrees with it.
At least - remove that odd mecha head. It'll make the current omniframe look much better.
Personally I like the mecha head.

Which reminds me that it is very rare that there is a true consensus among the majority of a community when it comes to something visual like this. For every person who might not like one aspect of the omniframe there is another who does.
Game communities are full of different people with different preferences. To change something based on one groups feedback may very well be against the feedback from another group. I'm all for the creator of something listening to the community when possible but its not as though there will ever be a universally liked design.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
Since this has been so much about personal opinion, I'll add to mine. I have stated I have no issue with the look of the design and would also be open to the customization mentioned. Everyone, including me, have broken this design down into a myriad ways that reminds us of some bit and piece to another anime/game/scifi what have you. Even after Mark came out with multiple posts about things people are still typing away about what they would do differently. I want Ember to be Ember. Even in its (what we personally think) flaws. It is unique. Stop trying to tie it into some one else' creation. Lets fund this deal and get more content to talk about. I want to wave a wand, cross my arms and nod my head while twitching my nose, rub a bottle, cast a gold coin, see a fallen star that Ember was a reality RIGHT BLOODY NOW! But we have to follow, support and spread the word about Ember so that Kern and his (hopefully eventually) growing team can make it real for us.

He didn't have to start any of this, you know. I'm thanking Mark and the moderators and art team for even giving us something to dream.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
Personally I like the mecha head.

Which reminds me that it is very rare that there is a true consensus among the majority of a community when it comes to something visual like this. For every person who might not like one aspect of the omniframe there is another who does.
you're thie first one to actually defend the head here so we really didn't know better actually.i'm not that against it, i still like the general design, if people really don't like it eventually someone will mod it with an addon out like it happened with the female engy leg (or possibly workshop skins but it's too early to talk about that imo)

Torgue_Joey

Kaiju Slayer
KAIJU 'SPLODER
Jul 27, 2016
Germany
you're thie first one to actually defend the head here so we really didn't know better actually.i'm not that against it, i still like the general design, if people really don't like it eventually someone will mod it with an addon out like it happened with the female engy leg (or possibly workshop skins but it's too early to talk about that imo)
well, when someone like something, there as basically no need to post.
he's not the first one, some said they like the frame overall.
I don't mind the head. head or not, i don't really care.
but the feet is to chicken like for my taste (I do like to eat chickens ^^ )
but ain't bitching about it, I don't even need a lexicon to look up the meaning of customization

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
well, when someone like something, there as basically no need to post.
he's not the first one, some said they like the frame overall.
I don't mind the head. head or not, i don't really care.
but the feet is to chicken like for my taste (I do like to eat chickens ^^ )
but ain't bitching about it, I don't even need a lexicon to look up the meaning of customization
isn't exactly the point of this of this forums to communicate with them about our likes and dislikes? it's not like there's a game yet, if the point was to stand here and clap the money spent on xenoforo is wasted and we could've done better with just the website. welcome as they are i'm sure mark didn't start a crowdfunding for the forums with the aim to set up a plantform for the offtopic sections orphaned by the9 takeover on the forums.

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
Hey I know a few of you don't like the direction of the Omniframe. I just ask you keep an open mind and judge it by how it plays. I know I'm super excited and motivated by it, and that can only make for a better game. And to answer the question, the game is more science fantasy than hard sci-fi.

Remember, the poster was made before any game pitch was made, just to judge interest and then later raise $500 for a website and forums where we can have arguments like this :)
It's all cool, and I hope that my somewhat dubious excitement over the initial artwork of what the omniframe might look like doesn't sound like I am not 100% excited about this game. I think the one thought I want to leave here is that it will be much easier in the long run to build a minimalist omniframe and add to it down the road as resources become available than it would be to build a highly complex detailed mech and remove items down the road instead. Heck, if you simply started with a body suit for the first iteration and called it the omnisuit I think it might be easiest (though the concept art is very much welcome too :) )

So, just curious Mark but have you looked at Project Genome?
https://pgenom.com/about/combat-system/
That Mech is essentially a less dressed up version of the Omniframe.

Just curious if you had seen them.
This Project Genom game looks promising. :)

Still in alpha.

Already has a lot of the stuff I mentioned I'd like Ember to have. In writing, anyway.

While Ember is in development and if Firefall dies, I'll only have Defiance to fall back on, for MMO (and maybe No Man's Sky - found a torrent for it, actually. Heh.) Those and small indie-games like Ghost 1.0 and Seraph.

lykosfx

Jul 29, 2016
Oi!

Eu vou ser sincero, infelizmente não sou fã de Mech.

O Mech tem um visual e a jogabilidade muito rustico e pesado, parece algo sem alma. Em nenhum momento me vejo jogando 4h/dia dentro de um Mech. É bem desanimador. Na minha opinião, só seria interessante se fosse usado em uma missão específica.

Acredito que, depois de um bom sistema de jogo, o visual deve ser o convite de entrada para os novos jogadores. Abaixo trouxe dois exemplares que podem inspirar os desenvolvedores de Ember. As armaduras possuem o formato do corpo da personagem, atualmente, é o visual que agrada os jogadores.

Imagem

Obrigado por sua atenção.
Abraços.

Hi!

I'll be honest, unfortunately I am not a fan of Mech.

Mec has a visual and gameplay very rustic and heavy, it seems something soulless. In no time I find myself playing 4h / day within a Mech. It is very disheartening. In my opinion, it would only be interesting if it was used in a specific mission.

I believe that after a good game system, the visual should be the entry invitation for new players. I brought down two examples that can inspire developers of Ember. Armatures have the character of body shape, currently, it is the look that pleases players.

Imagem

Thanks for your attention.
Hugs.

Last edited:

lykosfx

Jul 29, 2016
Oi!

Eu fiz uma busca do modelo em 3D acima e achei interessante. Então eu estava pensando, porque não dar ao personagem dois estilos de armaduras?

Para o personagem no chão seria esse estilo com o Jet:

Imagem

Para as viagens espaciais seria esse estilo:

Imagem

Para mudar as armaduras, seria usado uma tecla (tipo F12). Teria um efeito visual para essa mudança, parecido com uma cortina de fumaça com alguns raios e um belo som de tempestade. :)

Obrigado por sua atenção.
Abraços.

Hi!

I did a search of the 3D model above and found it interesting. So I was thinking, why not give the character two styles of armor?

For the character on the ground would be that style with Jet:

Imagem

For space travel would be this style:

Imagem

To change the armor, it used a key (F12 type). Would have a visual effect to this change, like a smokescreen with some rays and a beautiful sound storm. :)

Thanks for your attention.
Hugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.