The big question, No Man's Sky. Yea or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2016
Somewhere on Earth
Whenever I grab the dosh, I might get it. I figure it's a chance I may enjoy it despite the contention, but perhaps it's healthy to look over some second opinions before I make a judgement call.

Mahdi

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
South Carolina, US
I love all space games but hard for me to ever finish one. I will get No Man's Sky, just don't know how soon. But if I could call out one game I wish they would reboot, it would be Privateer 2. Although good luck getting anything like those actors again.

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Very cool post of the Steam news page.
From a technical perspective No Man's Sky hasn't had a smooth launch on PC. But in terms of sales, it's already one of the biggest launches ever of a game on Steam. Steam Stats, an official resource created by Valve, shows that 212,620 people were simultaneously playing No Man's Sky on launch day so far. In North America and Europe alone the Steam servers were serving a combined 4.7 terabits per second as people downloaded the game.

You might be thinking: Eh, that's far less than Dota 2, which is drawing just over 1 million concurrents in the middle of its biggest tournament of the year. And you're right. But consider this: 212,620 players is at least 46% more than what was achieved by every other 2016 release at launch, and it's possible that more people will boot up No Man s Sky on Saturday or Sunday, when Steam activity is typically at its weekly peak.
Six hours in on PC. It's rather good. The description of "A very Chill game" is entirely accurate. I was supposed to do something this morning but I can't fuck'in remember what. I think I might just keep playing instead.

I keep thinking of Morrowind for some reason.

Bl4ckhunter

Jul 26, 2016
seen the gameplays, seems a massive waste of opportunity to me, there is a massive mind boggling potential for things players could do togheter if it actually was an mmo, i mean, the ONE game where there actually is more than enough space for a player or a group of players to set up their own empires without having others breathing on your neck constantly and always breaking your stuff, they went and added online support then decided that players should play alone?
It looks nice but i won't be buying it unless they decide to reinvest the money they made overpricing the game into actually adding a mmo gamemode, i wonder why they did even bother with the online mode if singleplayer offline experience is near identical.

i'm actually kinda sad that no man's sky turned out to be so singleplayer since dual universe decided to dash my hopes for the game with lock on combat (subscription model doesn't make me very welcoming either, will try it out if it crashes and burns ala wildstar) and star citzen is the biggest dlc-fest i've ever ever seen.

Jul 26, 2016
Very cool post of the Steam news page.
From a technical perspective No Man's Sky hasn't had a smooth launch on PC. But in terms of sales, it's already one of the biggest launches ever of a game on Steam. Steam Stats, an official resource created by Valve, shows that 212,620 people were simultaneously playing No Man's Sky on launch day so far. In North America and Europe alone the Steam servers were serving a combined 4.7 terabits per second as people downloaded the game.

You might be thinking: Eh, that's far less than Dota 2, which is drawing just over 1 million concurrents in the middle of its biggest tournament of the year. And you're right. But consider this: 212,620 players is at least 46% more than what was achieved by every other 2016 release at launch, and it's possible that more people will boot up No Man s Sky on Saturday or Sunday, when Steam activity is typically at its weekly peak.
looking at that stat on launch day only proves one thing.
Marketing done right can make anything gold.
Looking at stats overtime on the other hand...

http://steamcharts.com/app/275850#All
From Aug 11 it went from 212,321 players to Aug 12, 162,223 players. That's a significant drop that only got worse as the days went on.

which is similar to other single player games like Hitman, Assasin's Creed, Deus Ex, Bioshock, Fallout 4, etc.
Games that tend to have sharp declines because they don't have anything that keeps the players in coming back after exhausting the content.

NMS was supposed to be this gigantic universe to explore and stuff to do. And if you look at charts for those types of games
(starbound, terria, etc) you see dips and rises that nearly come up to launch day. People haven't exhausted the content in that short of a time and keep coming back to play.

The closest thing I could find that similar to what NMS devs promised is Planet Explorers whose devs have the game in Beta. It's been worked on since 2014. Instead of putting a lot time in marketing the game to make as much money as quickly as possible, the devs here actually seems devoted into building an Exploratory type of game first.

NMS reminds me of Grav.
Ambitious project with lackluster results.

Jul 26, 2016
Nope, but I've heard they shut down their subreddit
this thing?
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame

or was there another one?

looking through the subreddit I found this...

and this one
https://www.reddit.com/r/no_mans_sky/comments/55y5mu/rnomansskythegame_subbreddit_set_to_private/

where the Admins of Reddit even pipe up to say stuff.... {Sporkicide & AchievementUnlockd} Sporkicide did have a point though. It sounds like the Admins didn't like the primary moderator shutting down the sub without their input.

so I guess it did get deleted because there were too many people complaining about NMS, Sean, the company, etc. and not enough praising going on.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2016
Canada, eh
I never really bought into the hype. I bought the game because I was interested in the idea of a space exploration that wasn't specifically a Minecraft game. The limited inventory space is annoying and there is lots to explore in the sense that there's plenty of things the game can generate for someone to witness. That said, it really boils down to finding better gear (which you find as opposed to crafting), harvesting resources, exploring worlds, gather more resources from worlds to fuel your ship and continuing your journey to either the center of the galaxy or wherever your hearts content.

The world navigation needs a lot of work since you can't make a map of the planet for quick reference to know where you've already been (without traveling closer to it). Combat is clumsy at best and the constant need to keep your suit life support powered, your gun powered, your hazard-protection system powered, your ship powered, it becomes even more taxing than Minecraft in that sense.

Overall, it was an interesting experiment in my mind, but there was a lot of potential that I think fell flat on execution and even lots of wasted potential for a game that was as hyped up as much as this one. I'd say wait for a steam sale before buying and even then, only if you like the idea of an exploration game where the goals are the ones you make for yourself to achieve as opposed to the game giving you a solid, followable/trackable set of objectives.

Sorta reminds me of another game in that sense...

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
Ambitious project with lackluster results.
You just described Firefall.

Currently, I'm rating NMS as a medium in terms of a return in game time on my money spent. There's many games I played less, including some high end titles. For me, NMS is still a chill game. In fact, it's the only game I've ever felt comfortable sitting back and playing with a controller. I ended up buying a steam controller just for it.

If HG are guilty of anything, it's that they tried to create something unique that didn't exist, and set the bar too high. I'm personally glad they didn't try to recreate a <insert random successful genre> clone and gave their own ideas a go instead. Regardless of how successful they were or were not in terms of long term game, they will continue to get my vote for the simple fact that they tried something different. Which is what Ember is trying to do.

Emberite eh? 35$, thank you very much. We are going to need more.

Jul 26, 2016
You just described Firefall.
Honestly... that describes a lot of games that went the crowdfunding route. Some companies stalled and their project got shelved, & some release with excellent, lackluster or horrible results. I think it's feature creep that ends up killing a lot of these devs. They start accepting and promising way too much and then add more stuff on top of that before they got the previous promised stuff working. They aren't able to limit themselves.

Emberite eh? 35$, thank you very much. We are going to need more.
yeah but I need to see how far the current development gets. Not interested in laying down a lot of money for vaporware after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.