Team builds and theme builds.

Aug 14, 2016
This thread popped up as I was talking with family and remembering how we use to dominate team based games by making themed builds that worked as a team. Often each build was based on a joke or something we had at the time and because these team builds was so outside of the normal we was always unstoppable for about for about 2 weeks until people started to learn tactics, but by than we had another build in mind. So this thread is about team builds your made or will make in the game? And do those builds have a theme to them?

I'll start with one team I had in a mecha game. It was Betty and Child, I played as Child.
My cousin and I made two mecha based on a joke we had about the song "Black Betty". Bettly was a large tank-like mecha with a tone of armor designed for long to mid-range combat, it has large powerful cannons on it with an array of homing missiles. Betty was the heavy hitter that did a lot of damage with each hit but weapons has a slow fire rate, ether because of long cool down time or charge rate or lock-on time. But it was able to tank hits long enough to get off a few shots even if lifted alone. Child was a small light mass mecha designed for close to mid-range combat, it relayed on speed to dodge attacks while also doing melee as well as using spray-and-pray tactics with vulcan cannons and hellfire missiles. Child was the infiltrator and agitator using guerrilla tactics to keep the other team confused and focused on things other than Betty. So most of the weapons it had was designed to annoy everyone else by shutting down their systems (things like EMP weapons) or make them overheat (things like thermal weapons), outside of the melee weapons everything was to add stacking DOTs on people. That is until it was time to run away because Child bought enough time for Betty to fire their weapons and large powerful AOEs was about to rain down on the area. And not many people built mecha solely for speed back then because they thought they was to weak so I able to out run them and the AOEs.

Part of the reason all the confusion that happen on the other team besides all the debuffs and DOTs I would put on them was face they wild just do things like dance around them and jump on top of them. Dashing into and out of the group like a wild man before they can react to me and killing off the ones with low armor first. My role was act as a decoy and it toke like 2 weeks before other players started to find out why they was losing to us. But by than to moved on to other things based on jokes from movies and stuff we seen at the time.

For the people who never hard of the song Black Betty.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
My build would be more solo but have the means to help in a team.

This mech wouldn't really be the tankiest or the hardest hitter and neither the fastest.

It would have

- Decent speed,
- Great hacking ability
- High efficiency to continue for long missions
- Stealth and its utility tool set to adapt
e.g.

* Traps: to slow or hold down opponent or small groups for a time

* Enhanced grappler: Slighter longer range to get across dangerous areas and higher altitudes.

* Clone Decoy: to distract the opponent while it runs around and takes damage

* Smart vision: To be able to see through walls and other dense areas and all the perks of night vision and thermal vision etc with a toggle of a button to cycle through.

* Stealth: Invisible but doesn't mean they cant hear you so the heavier weight of the mech could make more noise than a lighter mech.

I have to admit i love stealth i like to think this mech is a like a batman with a utility set so that the
mech could use specialized scans and be a good recon.

This mech is also for those who like to take their time too and explore they can analyze the area and figure out the right plan to tackle a task rather than brute force and find alternative routes.

Since this would be a light mech i think it has good technology for its size but due to the amount of it the sacrifices are from the weapons and the tankiness to reduce the weight.

I shall call it the Specter Stryk, and here is a tune i thought sounded good that can imagine.
This mek calmly moves swiftly transitioning to full stealth, the alien creatures look around noticing something but cannot see it.

The mek blends in nicely scanning around, then noticing a mek foot print appears tracking where it is leading and going further towards the strange Building that is heavily fortified.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
The reason I posted the song was because both the mechs we made was based on the lyrics of the song. As kids some of the older members of our family told us that that song was really talking about a gun that was black in color and the whole "Bam-ba-Lam" part of the song is meant to be the sound the gun made when it was fired. So we ran with that idea as a joke. Because guns like other weapons do exist in families as part of how you list them, with later upgraded versions of a weapon often being seen as the offspring. With a lot of guns this often means becoming faster and lighter. And that is when things like suppressing fire started to become more common as people can just fire blindly to hit something. The mechs Betty and Child was be like the embodiment of that joke and logic. Little did we know that decades later people would make whole animes and games based off the idea of imaging things like guns, fighters, and warships as real girls. lol

Anyway, another themed team we made was in a game where I made a mecha that could turn into a fighter jet and they made one that could turn into a tank. My role was to focus on air-to-air combat and their role was to focus on ground-to-ground combat. And it was easy to keep up with each other because there was system to let teammates teleport to your location. So we would chain teleport around an area to confuse enemies while also blasting away at them. Those mecha was based on the song that goes, "You take the high road, and i'll take the low road, and i'll be in Scotland before you." lol

Aug 14, 2016
This themed build will be totally dependent on how much control we have only customizing our weapons. I want to make a pistol with the most damage per shot as well as the most accuracy and precision as possible. I want to pistol to be able to kill most enemies in the game in like one hit. So basically a pistol with near sniper rifle levels of damage just without the all the range. I'm willing to give up things like fire rate, ammo capacity, and recoil control. As for how the gun looks I want it look like it is made out of gold. That way one of the cold names the aliens could give my pilot or mecha is, "the one with the golden gun."

P.s.
Just in case I was not clear before. Themes can be anything, not just music. The theme is just the what your mecha and/or team build embodies.