Team buff

Aug 14, 2016
One thing I don't see to much any more in MMOs are team buffs in games that reward you for staying in the team for a long time or reward you for matching up abilities together. A lot of games now a days seem to be pulling for the signal player MMO thing where you play with other people but there is never a need too. There are no more systems in place that reward people for finding teams and making new friends, nor a way to keep a good track of friends you made (And what I mean by "track" is mean something like a note system next to their name on your friend list saying things like "This person is a great tank." or "This person crafts a lot of medic pack." or "IOU 5k creds" or "If you need help message me." because not everyone is good at remembering names or they may have to leave the game for a few weeks and forgot how to play the game and who their friend are by the time they got back.)

Example, a system where if you stay a team together with the same people every 15mins everyone in the team gets a buff the grows more powerful to a point (let's say 1 hour to get the buff to 100%). If you leave the team or half the people in the team changes out the buff resets.

Example, a system where everyone can pick character traits that not only helps them when they are solo but can also help a team. Like a person with the trait "Keen senses" will be better at spotting enemies and traps but might also be weaker to things likes flash bangs and monster roars because of sensory overload, so when those things happen you are stunned for a bit longer than other people so your team needs to cover for you. Meanwhile someone with the trait "Leadership" is more charismatic to NPCs that can make the NPCs more willing to give you extra help and/or give you hidden side missions that can only be done in a group.

What are your thoughts? Do you like games that reward people for playing together? And do you have any idea for systems that'll reward players for grouping up?

Last edited:

EvilKitten

Ark Liege
Jul 26, 2016
I'm not sure I would base it on time, as you could just group up, sit at home base for an hour doing social stuff and then head out with a bunch of buffs. I am however totally for having group synergies. I always felt that the design where certain attacks created buffs/debuffs on targets which could be exploited by another "class" (example , Secret World). I know there are abilities that are going to be specific to light/med/heavy frames, perhaps something like that can be incorporated there?

Another thing might be abilities you can cast on other players to give them different bonuses, one time damage buffs, short term shields or even retargets etc. Alternately the same concept could be used with AoE abilities that benefit any player that also happens to be in the area. But perhaps 2 players both using 2 different AoE abilities on top of each other can grant additional players with an extra powerful and unique one use ability when they are in the combined area.

Eg. Player A begins a damage bonus AoE, Player B begins a lightning field AoE next to Player A, Player C moves between them and suddenly gets a powerful lightning attack on their hotbar which would do more damage than either of those AoE's on their own. Instead of attacking an NPC with the lightning attack, they instead target Player D who is running a shield ability, suddenly player D explodes in a massive AoE lightning storm that covers the entire area with high intensity damage. That damage hits a boss kaiju which for a brief window unlocks a vulnerability that everyone can target.

Also if there are any sort of charge up abilities I think it would be great if assist kills/heals/target acquisitions give a large bonus above and beyond what you would get on your own. This would allow that ability to be stronger when used in a full group and might even be critical for taking on high tier Kaiju.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2016
I also like the idea of different abilities being able to feed off each other or change each other in someway. For example using a fire AOE to make strong updrafts in the area and pull light mass things toward the middle before someone else using an ice AOE make a downburst making powerful lightning strikes in a small with powerful winds. Or having a teammate push you forwards just as you do a charge/rush attack giving you extra speed and power in the attack.

Given how this a sci-fi game with mechas in it. One thing that we could do in the game is energy linking/sharing.
Example tank player is trying to shield the team from a massive attack by the enemy being but their shield is running out if energy and their mecha is starting to overhear from all the strain trying to keep the shield up. The other players in the team can help strengthen the shield by sharing their energy with the tank while also helping absorb some of the extra heat so they don't overload. So know all the focus is no longer on the tank alone.

Example sniper player has a powerful energy cannon that can blast a hole in the enemy's shield and/or armor large enough for everyone to use the opening they make. But the cannon takes to long to change up the shot to full power and there is no way the enemy is going to stay still long enough nor stop attacking the area you are in to let you get that shot off. But if your teammates are willing to share their energy with you the change time not only shorter but the blast will be more powerful if they give you more energy than you needed.

The idea is, but your team is willing to giving up something and take on some of the risk the effects of what you are doing will be that much greater. If I want to help you do things better I'll give you what to need and help take some of the side-effects.

Last edited: