Suggestion: Multi-server setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepwalker

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Sweden
gamingdefect.com
I have no idea how hard it would be to do this but I had a idea on how you should be able to do seamless transactions between server and be able to multiple small servers than a few powerful servers.

If you take a look on Wifi channels on how they work:
1000px-2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_802.11bg_WLAN.svg_.png

Think of a server going from 1-3, next going from 2-4 and the next 3-5 and keep different areas separate that way. Each server would have a overlapping area where you start your transaction from one server/shard to the next.

This way you should be able to have multiple small servers that hold a small area and smaller amount of people. Cities/towns might need a bit more powerful server since it would be a hub for players but the other servers could be less powerful since the players should be more spread out between all of them.

Feel free to discuss and talk down on my idea. I know that Nostalrius have done a lot of server coding and might have some idea on how to do this even if it isn't my idea. But Etiakor shoudl know some. :)

Sleepwalker

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Sweden
gamingdefect.com
If your using a VM cluster system, you should just be able to add more power to the event "shards" for the moment it's active and the thumping part shouldn't attract that many since if you look back to FF, there wasn't much people around the thumpers.

If there is a shard where a event or world boss is supposed to be, you could just have that VM be a bit more powerful instead of boosting a full server. So that would keep costs down.

Last edited:

Rocket

Max Kahuna
Max Kahina
Jul 26, 2016
Australia
... the thumping part shouldn't attract that many since if you look back to FF, there wasn't much people around the thumpers.
Whilst we didn't get invasions style player numbers (especially with addons allowing on-demand shard hopping) when thumping, with the right conditions, we were more than capable of bringing the Firefall servers to their knees via thumping alone. You will remember that they added a limit to the number of active thumpers allowed at any one time.

Purple mats around Copa ftw.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
If your using a VM cluster system, you should just be able to add more power to the event "shards" for the moment it's active and the thumping part shouldn't attract that many since if you look back to FF, there wasn't much people around the thumpers.

If there is a shard where a event or world boss is supposed to be, you could just have that VM be a bit more powerful instead of boosting a full server. So that would keep costs down.
interesting wonder if this could work?

Jag

Kaiju Slayer
Kaiju Slayer
Mar 18, 2017
Yeah there's a reason they added a limit to how many thumpers could be down at once

raven0ak

Ark Liege
Ark Liege
Jul 23, 2017
interesting wonder if this could work?
well, this is largest perk of going VM instead of physical server, virtual machines can be infinitely scaled up and down within hardware specs, beside Vmware there is few other providors such as xenserver and on cloudbased offers both Amazon cloud and M$ azure work wonders (albeit these are better on smaller scale game servers only when it comes to cost efficiency)

Status
Not open for further replies.