[Suggestion] Another proposal on how to do Character Creation

Are you interested in this proposal being considered?

• Total voters

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
First things first a summary of the other proposals:
The original idea was to sell whole characters.
The current idea is about having sliders in character creations and then later put on swappable clothing on them.

Now to my proposal:
Have bodyparts be swappable (ideally even post character creations so you aren't locked with what your human avatar looks like) i.e.
  • have multiple general body shapes (slimmer; thicker; more, less muscly; maybe even taller and shorter)
  • have multiple versions of breasts (smaller, larger, with erect nipples, droopy, firm)
  • have multiple arms (longer, shorter, muscly, slim)
  • have multiple legs (longer, shorter, muscly, slim, thicc)
  • have multiple face shapes
  • etc.
  • have multiple hairstyles (with hair color preferably being separate so you can have highlights on all hairstyle)
  • have many accessories (rings, earrings, hairclips, etc.)
  • have many different clothing parts
  • etc.

That way you don't need to have all your character creation be completed up front and can simply add more later on and redo old ones at higher quality also you can fiercely monetize this and offer me completely anime style options without inconveniencing others :Ü™

PIghead Elderberry

Kaiju Slayer
JUMBO KAIJU SLAYER
Jun 4, 2017
CA USA
Would we have bits and pieces sewn onto one another so we are kind of like a stitched together monstrous horror? Like I have a thin torso and then stitch on a huge arm with a (giant, of course) hand to match on one side and on the other a spindly little arm or a Kaiju tentacle hybrid arm?

Sliders, make for smooth normalish looking things. Stitching body parts together lends itself to weird and grotesque things. Kind of fun sounding, but perhaps not in the plan.

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
Would we have bits and pieces sewn onto one another so we are kind of like a stitched together monstrous horror? Like I have a thin torso and then stitch on a huge arm with a (giant, of course) hand to match on one side and on the other a spindly little arm or a Kaiju tentacle hybrid arm? [...]
I thought more along the lines of "everything's made compatible with each other", so the variety of body parts doesn't differ all too greatly; so no hands that are bigger than the head or arms bursting with so much muscle that they're thicker than your legs.
Generally the range of available options is rather narrow but you can still do a lot of different things within that, like differently emphasized six-packs with exactly the same rest of the body without the whole thing becoming disharmonious. Of course six-packs wouldn't be available to put on some girthier bellies.
Oh, also no such things as Kaiju tentacle hybrid arms :Ü™

liandri

Omni Ace
Omni Ace
Jul 29, 2016
Zone of Bones, Australia
I may be wrong on the game, but the character creation for Black Desert Online was what I envisioned for Ember. Having a selection of pre-defined body types, but allowing you to mouse over different parts and scroll up or down (or use the slider) to change them. Changing the reflectivity of the skin, moving the ears around a little, etc..

Accessories are king though, and the ability to have highlighted/more realistic hair colour is something to hope for!

Not too sure on the body parts being swappable thing? Maybe for cybernetics and such, but not flesh. Otherwise I'm taking the name "Virgin Rage". He'll have a thunderous right arm, a 90 degree back angle, and his other appendages will be spaghetti.

Dec 15, 2016
You forgot
First things first a summary of the other proposals:
The current idea is about having sliders in character creations and then later put on swappable clothing on them.

Now to my proposal:
Have bodyparts be swappable (ideally even post character creations so you aren't locked with what your human avatar looks like) i.e.
  • have multiple general body shapes (slimmer; thicker; more, less muscly; maybe even taller and shorter)
  • have multiple versions of breasts (smaller, larger, with erect nipples, droopy, firm)
  • have multiple arms (longer, shorter, muscly, slim)
  • have multiple legs (longer, shorter, muscly, slim, thicc)
  • have multiple face shapes
  • etc.
  • have multiple hairstyles (with hair color preferably being separate so you can have highlights on all hairstyle)
  • have many accessories (rings, earrings, hairclips, etc.)
  • have many different clothing parts
  • etc.

That way you don't need to have all your character creation be completed up front and can simply add more later on and redo old ones at higher quality also you can fiercely monetize this and offer me completely anime style options without inconveniencing others :Ü™
You forgot skin tone.

Sy

Nov 16, 2018
sya.li
I'm glad you re-posted this, since Discord is hectic.

I think I see where you're coming from, and I'm generally on board.

This reminds me of the dev perspective on cosmetics for frames, where there are different parts that can be swapped out.

It's already been mentioned that this will likely be challenging for a pilot model, but I think it would be doable.

I still maintain that these things should be strongly considered, and considered as stretch goals in later kickstarters.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
The current idea is about having sliders in character creations and then later put on swappable clothing on them
For those who want a complete set whole characters is great & those who want to have more control in customizing their character the sliders , skin tone etc

Could imagine a whole variety of looks folks could mix up, could this mean creators may submit their slider version to get the all clear i know that official sliders are available and perhaps slider packs.

Also would other players be able to find out what sliders others are using just like omniframe builds
but in the fashion dept you could even get custom creators putting their slider on the em8er fashion data base and anyone interested would look and vote for it then if it is approved goes in the game sort of like what warframe does but with sliders can be more focused on various areas.

Would we have bits and pieces sewn onto one another so we are kind of like a stitched together monstrous horror? Like I have a thin torso and then stitch on a huge arm with a (giant, of course) hand to match on one side and on the other a spindly little arm or a Kaiju tentacle hybrid arm?

Sliders, make for smooth normalish looking things. Stitching body parts together lends itself to weird and grotesque things. Kind of fun sounding, but perhaps not in the plan.
I like this too but what if we got special event sliders for horror or for whatever category we are looking for?

Aug 14, 2016
I love this idea. Space travel can do odd things to the human body. Everything from changes in gravity, cosmic rays, and even how much starlight their bodies absorb (remember Human skin can make large amounts of vitamin D when lots of skin is exposed to the sunlight.). So, I can see people who was grow up or spent a lot of time in different parts of the universe having different biology as their bodies adapted to those places.

Also going by how far into this idea we go we could have a Monster Factory situation going on where there are a group of players who make it their goal to make the oddest and/or ugliest characters they can think of to play as. And for people who understand what I mean by that, look up things Monster Factory by Polygon or the few other Youtubers who make channels based around character creation and/or character fashion.

Here is an example of Monster Factory

Darker7

Firstclaimer
Jul 2, 2017
Aug 14, 2016
Do keep in mind that the gatestriders are among the few, perhaps only, humans who have an unmodified lineage. The other colonies have a long history of changes.
True but when populations live in isolation of each other changing will always happen over time. It is one of the basic rules of evolution. Unless there are zero differences between colonies and people, small changes will add up over time be it natural and unnatural. I'm also counting natural selection and things like retrovirus (Because there are a good number of natural viruses that change your DNA. Not all of them are deadly or bad, as a good percent normal healthy Human DNA is actually virus DNA we need to live and grow.) and comic rays. And given how Gatestiders travel to different worlds and are exposed to a lot of different things, on top of changing in gravity (And you can read NASA files on how gravity effects your body and health.). Unless there is always fresh flow of new people into the population to cancel out the changes I think the Gatestriders will be one of the more faster changing groups. That or they have some technology that can fix and reset any changes they might get from the environment and infections. Ether way, lore-wise there are upsides and downsides to both answers to that question.

Pandagnome

Kaiju Slayer
Fart Siege
Welcome Wagon
Happy Kaiju
Jul 27, 2016
Island of Tofu
Most people probably prefer multiple arms and legs. Not sure I personally care for men with droopy boobs.
I would like have ears in my ears to reduce noise of big sounds from my original ears and tilt in a 180 degree motion.

I would also like a head with no features like a jelly bean it would change colour when i get close to someone or stay the same when nothing is going on, could be called a chroma head!

I also like to have massive thighs so i can do big jumps like a frog but these thighs go back to normal when i go in the mech since these are smart thighs!