Solo play advancement (will there be such a thing)

Cadbane

Base Commander
Base Commander
Jul 26, 2016
One of my biggest concerns is can the solo player, through minimal group experience get the "Top Tier" shit and stay relevant?

I get joining the pick up raids, joining groups to do missions and even being part of a huge army to get the best stuff fast. The real question is do I need 20 good buddies to attain the good stuff? I love the ideas of armies and coop, do not get me wrong. I just find my play time / style is more solo. I don't want some "officer" defining my play time, when I need to be on and what I need to do. Should being in an army be an advantage, Hell yes! Should it stop people like myself and others from attaining the "good Stuff". Hell no!

I played EQ for 10+ years. I was in a high end guild for most of it. You HAD to be to get the good stuff. This really took away from the fun I found out later. DKP points, raid attendance and getting pissed on by a select few could get you kicked in no time. This stuff was bullshit and was so stressful. I had retired with the best gear and had 3 accounts twinked out. Times were good. BUT, when new content came out I found I fell behind the curve fast with no real way to catch up. The non-raid stuff was far inferior to the raiding gear. I had no desire to fulfill more guild requirements to "get back in the game" and didn't want to play old content to death, this eventually led to quitting I game I enjoyed for so long.

Firefall, in the beginning was not anything like my above experience. My son and I could go anywhere do anything. So long as I played nice in the "SANDBOX" with others to attain goals and resources, things were great. I felt I could still do it at my own pace with others, not having to be held captive by a "guild". I met so many other people like me with the same goals and interests, it was natural to fight side by side with them. We bonded and it was awesome, but when their playtime was down or mine, there was no worries, cause there was more people like us in armies or not to pick up the slack.

TLDR; Please do not make it a so armies are the only way to access the elite shit while those who do not want to go that route have no chance of attaining the same "power". I am not saying "solo" players should be able to do what an army is capable of in the same time frame. But there should be a way for the solo guys to keep up with extensive long drawn out methods and the occasional pick up group for him to stay relevant.

Luisedgm

Deepscanner
Jul 27, 2016
It will be a Sandbox game, no raids or stuff you usually see in themeparks
Maybe server-wide events, but these shouldn't require you to join an army, just be present

TankHunter678

Jul 26, 2016
We wont have instances like raids or missions in Ember the reason being that type of content lacks replay ability unless you throw in powerful loot rewards as a incentive, which makes it best suited for a vertical progression system.

Ember is going to use a horizontal progression system, which means your largest concern should be tracking down the rarer materials to make more effective gear. Nothing you need a guild/army for. The best stuff will be able to be made by an individual or by a group working together.

We wont have instances like raids or missions in Ember the reason being that type of content lacks replay ability unless you throw in powerful loot rewards as a incentive, which makes it best suited for a vertical progression system.

Ember is going to use a horizontal progression system, which means your largest concern should be tracking down the rarer materials to make more effective gear. Nothing you need a guild/army for. The best stuff will be able to be made by an individual or by a group working together.
Nice. That should eliminate elitism, also. And Pay-2-Win, possibly.

No more raids where you're the same level, but only useful of you're at a certain power rating, or you don't have a DPS frame that can also tank, only because it's unbalanced.

Wintersiege

Firstclaimer
Jul 26, 2016
Hebron, ND USA
From my years of playing MMO's since EQ1 Luclin era until now, I have noticed the general decline in the overall need for any kind of grouping and therefore, social interaction in all modern games. In most games leveling is simply a matter of putting in the time with grouping only required to do dungeons and/or raids.

Now I dont think having solo play being viable is a bad thing per se but I really do think that the overall game community suffers pretty badly as a direct result of it. Easy content, LFG tools, instant teleporting to dungeons etc while all convienent for the player has made communities mean a lot less then they did back in the early days of MMO's ala early EQ1.